Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building ITS car

Andy,
    Why would target hp be at 185@2850, when top level RX7s are at
    180-185hp @2680. Wouldn't 10-13 hp equal out a 170 lb. weight disparity.
    Just lookin at numbers.
    Thanks,
    Chris [/b]
    I could of swore that the dyno numbers for the top running rx7's were 166 hp based on dyno jet numbers? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey Jeff... Is the intent to completely re-classify the E36 or to present the option of running ITS (with SIR) or ITR (without and at a lower weight which may or may not be attainable)???
    [/b]

Mark,

What we (the ITR group) have discussed, is moving the E36 325 to ITR, w/o any restrictor, and at a lower weight than it currently runs in ITS (2700-2750# IIRC).

I could of swore that the dyno numbers for the top running rx7's were 166 hp based on dyno jet numbers? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    [/b]
    You are now corrected--175-181 give or take the dyno operator. 126-129 torque on a good day with the stars all in line.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

It's all personal preference. ITR is by no means a done deal so throwing away a season while waiting and not developing, may just be that, throwing a season away.

AB
    [/b]
    totally agree andy. personal preference. wouldn't call it throwing a season away though....more like an opportunity to have fun elsewhere! just choosing where to best invest the racing dollars.

You are now corrected--175-181 give or take the dyno operator. 126-129 torque on a good day with the stars all in line.
    [/b]
    on the best of days an Acura Integra GSR could have those numbers...then give it tiny brakes make it front wheel drive and a lousy 5th gear...oh yea and add 10# just to make sure it doesnt fade out its brakes fast enough
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

[/b]

DJ,

2 weeks ago at an EMRA race an ITS RX7 owner was excited about the new (computer/software??) in his car that is giving him over 190 HP on the dyno. He said he purchased the same thing that FlatOuts car was running last year. I laughed and told him not to let the other BMW guys know what type of numbers he has. He is a really good driver and will be a force in the Pocono area. Look out for that RX7.

Greg

DJ,

2 weeks ago at an EMRA race an ITS RX7 owner was excited about the new (computer/software??) in his car that is giving him over 190 HP on the dyno. He said he purchased the same thing that FlatOuts car was running last year. I laughed and told him not to let the other BMW guys know what type of numbers he has. He is a really good driver and will be a force in the Pocono area. Look out for that RX7.

Greg [/b]
    Greg,

I don't know where you are getting your info but that person most certainly isn't running what we are for CPU and software - guaranteed. I am betting you have your story mixed up in a big way or someone is blowing smoke up your a$$.

Tough to look out for "that" RX-7 when you don't name the driver or the car.

There are guys on this site with full blown 13B efforts and will laugh in your face at that number. I have actually seen dyno pulls like that for some cars but the origin of the rotor housings were totally unknown by the car owners - and I am sure I don't have to tell you what that could mean.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Greg,

I don't know where you are getting your info but that person most certainly isn't running what we are for CPU and software - guaranteed. I am betting you have your story mixed up in a big way or someone is blowing smoke up your a$$.

There are guys on this site with full blown 13B efforts and will laugh in your face at that number. I have actually seen dyno pulls like that for some cars but the origin of the rotor housings were totally unknown by the car owners - and I am sure I don't have to tell you what that could mean.

AB
    [/b]
    You couldn't mean ME, could you? SS car, SS exhaust, SS engine, etc, etc, etc. 174.XX hp @~8000. 124 lb/ft. The dyno operator told me that was about where the strong other 7's were which he had tested. He had also done many pulls with an ITS Integra. For reference, he said those numbers were over 180. Sorry, but he wouldn't give me copies of my competition's dyno plots for some reason. (yes, hearsay, rumor, etc)

***disclaimer..general consensus is that this dyno may read slightly higher than some other dynos***

Either way, I'd love to have 190. (legally) So would Steve, Buzz, Hollywood, etc.

I too suspect the blowing smoke scenerio.

zracre Posted Today, 08:17 PM
    QUOTE(seckerich @ May 17 2006, 05:41 PM)

on the best of days an Acura Integra GSR could have those numbers...then give it tiny brakes make it front wheel drive and a lousy 5th gear...oh yea and add 10# just to make sure it doesnt fade out its brakes fast enough
    0.79.....That's not so bad, we RX7 boys have to shell out serious money just to get a .757. I wouldn't mind having a .79 5th gear.

Evan,
    Are you planning Sebring next month?
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

Untrue Jeff,
    You weren't at Pocono which was the first SIR race in NER. Only one e36 was present. Dave and the 3D Team. With the SIR they were 6 sec/lap slower than last years times. [/b]

Yah... and now we find out that they had the damn thing in BACKWARDS!

Talk to Andy about how "slow" the E36 is with an SIR... How did Kip do with the SIR installation that Andy asked him to try???
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

Jim,

Im going to New England that weekend for my sisters birthday (its a big one) and to visit the rents. I am doing the NASA race at moroso this weekend then RA in July.

Would you trade that 5th gear for puny brakes and front wheel drive?
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

..nah no trade. I won't argue that front drive cars work the front tires, suspension, brakes harder than the rear drive cars do. That's why I bought a rear drive car :P I just don't feel that the .79 5th gear is as much a disadvantage as you do. Looking through the ITCS, there are a few cars with better 5th gear ratios(the 7 isn't one of them though)....

See ya back out there soon.
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

Greg,

AB
    [/b]
    AB,
    I am just repeating what the driver told me. He has a red RX7 with the number 69. He is a great driver and will do well. No MIX-UPS on my part.
    Greg

I need to apologise to Dan Maynard, both for using his name, as well as getting some of the facts wrong in a post I made yesterday. I should not have used his name to illustrate my point that orientation and placement of the SIR is critical in MAF-based applications, and apologise for any embarrassment I may have caused Dan and his team.

I need to apologise to Dan Maynard, both for using his name, as well as getting some of the facts wrong in a post I made yesterday. I should not have used his name to illustrate my point that orientation and placement of the SIR is critical in MAF-based applications, and apologise for any embarrassment I may have caused Dan and his team.
    [/b]

WOW, A gentleman. Thanks for leading by example Stan.

Point is, the SIR doesn't even come with directions or tips or anything. Just a box. Have at it!

50% of us would mount the thing in backwards.....simple math...

R

Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

WOW, A gentleman. Thanks for leading by example Stan.

Point is, the SIR doesn't even come with directions or tips or anything. Just a box. Have at it!

50% of us would mount the thing in backwards.....simple math...

R
    [/b]

Rob,

I'm not trying to cast aspersions (sp?) on anyone, but looking at the Raetech webpage for the GTL SIRs for about 2 min. would seem to make it pretty obvious as to which is the front and which is the back. They've got two different types, a bell inlet variety and a hose inlet variety. Not that hard to figure out what's different between the two.

You are now corrected--175-181 give or take the dyno operator. 126-129 torque on a good day with the stars all in line. [/b]
    Steve, these numbers are from a dyno jet with or with out motec?

SIR's have a arrow on them to show you the air flow. At least mine does.

I have to agree with Rob on this. The inlet of an SIR is not obvious to even the most experienced auto tech. I've been fixing cars for 30 years and it certainly wasn't obvious to me when I first saw one. This is an easy mistake to make.

While Bill's right that a call to the supplier or a trip to their web site would have helped but it's still unfortunate that the Maynard's struggled all weekend with something that could have been easily avoided. DJ's has an arrow to indicate flow but none of mine do so that must have been added later. I will contact the suppliers and ask that a sheet be included with the units to avoid this in the future. I've also been negligent in getting an article done for Sports Car that would better explain the new restrictors and maybe would have saved their weekend. If anyone should be embarrassed its me.

I'll join Stan in offering my apologies to the Maynard's. While I haven't had the pleasure of meeting them yet, they have a level of respect both on the track and in the paddock that few enjoy. This shows in their willingness to work with the restrictor. I wish them nothing but good luck in the future.

Bob Dowie

While on the topic of the SIR, it may interest you, or not, that while testing the SIR with Chuck Stickly we found like others that it connects and runs easily between the AFM & TB. Chuck then decided to test the SIR in front of the AFM. You know that directly in front the car won't run but if you use a 3 ft. hose you will actually get a better effect in regards to HP you can pickup another 2 hp. Is it practical? I think (IMO) not due to the time of installation and trying to find a good route to mount this and the air filter.

While on the topic of the SIR, it may interest you, or not, that while testing the SIR with Chuck Stickly we found like others that it connects and runs easily between the AFM & TB. Chuck then decided to test the SIR in front of the AFM. You know that directly in front the car won't run but if you use a 3 ft. hose you will actually get a better effect in regards to HP you can pickup another 2 hp. Is it practical? I think (IMO) not due to the time of installation and trying to find a good route to mount this and the air filter.
    [/b]
    DJ,

It's not just the length but the volume within the tube that helps. As the air is compressible you'd want the greatest volume to absorb the unsteady flow. What you want is a "stock" type air box with a long intake tube leading to the SIR at the end.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Steve, these numbers are from a dyno jet with or with out motec?

SIR's have a arrow on them to show you the air flow. At least mine does.
    [/b]
    Dynojet with SAE correction and Motec.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)