Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building ITS car

Hello all!!!

I am new to the group. I recently purchased a 93 bmw 325is (with limited slip) with the intention of turning it into an ITS car. Can anyone here give me a rundown on the basics of things to do.

I have already replaced...
    Shocks (went to bilstien sports for the time being) Control arms and bushings, trailing arms and bushings, sway bar bushings and links, guibo. The drivetrain looks really solid, and subframe is in tact (does not have the reinforcements installed). I am trying to get all the rules figured out before I begin making big changes to the car.

I have purchased the entire suspension(shocks included) and braking system (including master cylinder) from an e36 M3, but do not know which parts I can use and which I cannot. I would love to use the brakes, but from what I read we have to use the stock size rotors and master cylinder. Any advice would be very helpful.

Looking for info on tire/wheel options, roll cages, brakes, seats.....basically anything people can throw at me.

Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Even better option:
    http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/static/200...rules060403.pdf

BMW club racing is a much better option for this car now.....
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

Even better option:
    http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/static/200...rules060403.pdf

BMW club racing is a much better option for this car now.....
    [/b]

Real nice Fred, nothing like steering people away from the SCCA.

Real nice Fred, nothing like steering people away from the SCCA. [/b]
    Man, I'm saying out of this one!

Adroitracer-

While I respect Freds opinion, and the fact that these forums are NOT SCCA forums specific, I strongly disagree with Freds comments.

I will agree that the BMW Club is fun and has a great group of people, but I wouldn't agree that it is better than SCCA. It is a totaly different caliber of racing than SCCA. IMO if you want to go racing and compete in the most professional "club" races with the best group of people then come play in SCCA. As a beginer you will find a lot of more knowledgable people around to help. Also if you do prove to be a great driver and if you or your crew can set up your car well, then I think you could still easily see this car on the podium!!!

Don't be fooled by the bitter BMW drivers on these forums whom can't drive or set up their cars well enough to compete with a car that is far more competitive (even with an SIR) than 90% of the other cars classed in ITS.

Good luck, and if you ever need any help with SCCA stuff feel free to send me a PM;

Raymond Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Don't be fooled by the bitter BMW drivers on these forums whom can't drive or set up their cars well enough to compete with a car that is far more competitive (even with an SIR) than 90% of the other cars classed in ITS.

[/b]

Do's and Don'ts for 2006

Do Sling mud at BMW drivers whenever possible.

Don't You dare bring up the SIR discussion ever again.

[/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Adroitracer-

[/b]
    Whoa, Raymond...... Just offering friendly advice to someone who wants to start racing in a car that is not currently very beginner friendly in the SCCA! I would dare say plenty BMW drivers did a decent job setting up and driving their BMW 325's to the point that we are at now. If you remember back to when you started wheel to wheel racing would you have wanted to contend with a SIR ? Bill, As for SCCA I choose to compete in SCCA myself and have for years, dont have much interest in BMW club racing myself but it is a great place to start and for him without the red tape and stigma that a e36 has here in the club.

And as for the e36 being more competitive than 90% of the other cars in ITS that remains to be seen... but nobody could argue that a e36 has hurdles here in SCCA that it does not have elsewhere
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Fred-

I appreciate your re-post and support for SCCA... I think it shows a different light than your first and original post.

but nobody could argue that a e36 has hurdles here in SCCA that it does not have elsewhere
    [/b]
    We might not be able to argue that it HAD some CHANGES. The reason that the car has not had changes in other organizations is because it was classed correctly in those other organizations in the begining of their process, or those other organizations don't care if it wins all the time. The "problem" that existed here in SCCA is that it was NOT classified correctly when it was added to the field of eligable cars. If the (Not mentioning the name) was implimented when the car was classified, we would not have any of the issues or hurdles you speak of. Thus for a new person coming in, lets not discourage him/her to race with us, let them come with into the club with the "new" ways things are and not corrupt them with the past mistakes.

Raymond

PS: I would far prefer a stock BMW with an SIR in ITS over a stock Audi Coupe in ITB, we wont go thier. Also as an FYI I would prefer a Fully Prepped BMW with an SIR over my very competitive Audi Coupe in ITB.
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

PS: I would far prefer a stock BMW with an SIR in ITS over a stock Audi Coupe in ITB, we wont go thier. Also as an FYI I would prefer a Fully Prepped BMW with an SIR over my very competitive Audi Coupe in ITB.
    [/b]
    Did I just actually read what I read from my Audi devoted son? I think I will never be surprised about anything you kids come up with again. I should have known that 28 years ago, but I keep thinking you guys may become predictable. Guess not. So, IMHO, your racing competitors should NEVER think they have you and your brother figured out, because if your parents can't predict what you will do, NO ONE can!

A Race Junky from the Get Go......

Raymond Blethen
    [/b]
    why do the non-bmw folks basically keep saying at every opportunity that all of us bmw folks are incompetent and drive underprepared pos's? enough with the generalizations! most of the bmw folks here actually can drive well and have well prepared cars. please stop this bs.

and good answer fred! bmwcca cr is a much better place for a new racer. simpler rules. until somebody figures out how to do an sir, beginners shouldn't deal with scca.

i am not bitter, just taking this opportunity to try other places to race than ITS.
    sitting in the trailer at VIR right now at the SARRC/MARRS race...having an interesting time in ITE.

marshall
    BMW 325is, ITE #64..massive underdog

Marshall,

I can certainly understand where you're comming from as far as running ITE with a 325, even give a full WC prep for a 2.5l and CF body panels, short of making swiss cheese of the car thare's just not that much that can be taken out or added to make a 325 more competitive aginst a Z-06, Vipper, or an Evo, All have much more than 400hp. Yet because of no where else it'll be where I start later this season. I choose to run SCCA because of the universally respected licsense. One thing that I dislike is the red mist aspect, where someone pulls a real bone headed move and wipes others out, I just don't feel like it gets punished hard enough like it does in other clubs, after all we're out there for fun and to win a glorifyed bowling trophy doesn't justify destroying mine or my competitors cars. Still I hope you have fun at VIR this weekend.

I guess with the current controversy concerning the e-36 325 there are issues starting with a street car and slowly progressing into a well prepared car. So in the end I would suggest finding an already prepared car and buying into a race car instead of building one. This has several advantages including prior set up and spare parts. The down side is sometimes there are kluges or jimmy(jerry) rigged repairs made that while field expedient latter cause problems. Another route you could take would be to just run the car with out actually preparing it to be legal, just meet the safety requirements and when you invest in a racing engine, strip the emmissions equiptment, and start doing chassis prep, then worry about making your car legal. Just some ideas on how one might proceed as a novice. In the end it's your decision on how to go.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

why do the non-bmw folks basically keep saying at every opportunity that all of us bmw folks are incompetent and drive underprepared pos's? enough with the generalizations! most of the bmw folks here actually can drive well and have well prepared cars. please stop this bs.[/b]
    I totally agree, although I don't think that's what Raymond was saying. I'm confident that some of the best drivers in the club are driving fully prepped bimmers, and I have a great deal of respect for them. Its always a dis-service when generalizations are made. Actually, your statement includes some generalizations that I think are not accurate.

I'm guessing its a reaction to a few that say "You/They really screwed me - no way can I run up front any more, so I'll go somewhere else." If the statement is accurate (could run up front before, but not now), then the natural conclusion would be that either they aren't a front running driver or they don't have a fully prepped car. Of course, the choice to not prep it to the new rules for other reasons is a different situation.

I don't have any problem with those out there who aren't front running drivers and/or don't have fully prepped cars. On the contrary, I'm one of them. The difference is that I don't feel an entitlement to win races. There are some bimmer owners out there (I hope and honestly think it is a small minority) that do seem to express that entitlement on this board. It always makes me feel good when they get put in their place by one of the bimmer owners rather than a non-bimmer guy.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

One thing that I dislike is the red mist aspect, where someone pulls a real bone headed move and wipes others out, I just don't feel like it gets punished hard enough like it does in other clubs, after all we're out there for fun and to win a glorifyed bowling trophy doesn't justify destroying mine or my competitors cars. [/b]
    i gotta agree on this one whole-heartedly. just this past weekend at the vir scca race i watched someone get blantantly punted off the track by a car in another class. this was on the last lap of the race, while the victim was running in third place in class with 4th and fifth right on his heels. in car video, witnesses, big dent in car...all kinds of evidence. took it to the protest room due to the impact to his position in the series. stewards dismissed it as an "acceptable racing incident". wtf???? that kind of conduct in bmwcca cr would have resulted in dsq and 13 month probation. i know scca doesn't have a 13/13 rule, but blatant metal to metal (by a different class of car that had no competition in sight) which cost someone a race and series points is unacceptable.

Stewards saying contact is acceptable? WTF???

i gotta agree on this one whole-heartedly. just this past weekend at the vir scca race i watched someone get blantantly punted off the track by a car in another class. this was on the last lap of the race, while the victim was running in third place in class with 4th and fifth right on his heels. in car video, witnesses, big dent in car...all kinds of evidence. took it to the protest room due to the impact to his position in the series. stewards dismissed it as an "acceptable racing incident". wtf???? that kind of conduct in bmwcca cr would have resulted in dsq and 13 month probation. i know scca doesn't have a 13/13 rule, but blatant metal to metal (by a different class of car that had no competition in sight) which cost someone a race and series points is unacceptable. [/b]
    Sounds like a good case for an appeal.

Post the guy's name, I'll send him the $25.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I dont like to see unreasonable contact but I would not like to see a 13/13 SCCA, part of the reason I enjoy SCCA over PCA or BMWCCA is the CLOSE racing. Back to the original post, the e36 325 is dead in ITS for now! Congrats to SteveE at VIR on ITS wins this past weekend but what a dead race... SteveE checked out then rode around to the end for a easy win over a quick Z car and a surprising GSR.. Not what we have seen in the past when the e36 guys were in. BTW SteveE also dropped another 2:14 in Q near that famous time posted by that orange BMW ( same race, same time of the year Andy at a HP track ) I still contend that for a novice racer who insists on a e36 325 go start in BMWCCR, get yourself and car up to speed and then see what the future holds for you in SCCA.

Lets just move on and get ITR going soon........... And for the e36 guys running ITE, why not move over to SPU and atleast not have to deal with the Vipers and Vettes
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

I dont like to see unreasonable contact but I would not like to see a 13/13 SCCA, part of the reason I enjoy SCCA over PCA or BMWCCA is the CLOSE racing. Back to the original post, the e36 325 is dead in ITS for now! Congrats to SteveE at VIR on ITS wins this past weekend but what a dead race... SteveE checked out then rode around to the end for a easy win over a quick Z car and a surprising GSR.. Not what we have seen in the past when the e36 guys were in. BTW SteveE also dropped another 2:14 in Q near that famous time posted by that orange BMW ( same race, same time of the year Andy at a HP track ) I still contend that for a novice racer who insists on a e36 325 go start in BMWCCR, get yourself and car up to speed and then see what the future holds for you in SCCA.

Lets just move on and get ITR going soon........... And for the e36 guys running ITE, why not move over to SPU and atleast not have to deal with the Vipers and Vettes
    [/b]
    i agree, i was not advocating a 13/13 in scca...just that really bad conduct be dealt with.

can we run in spu? never thought of that...time to pull out the rule book...;-)