Thread: 1985 BMW 318

In my wanderings I have come across a 1985 318 donor. Are these competitive in ITB? Would anyone be interested in the car(it's in a junk yard, runs, etc. no title)? I hate to see it parted an dcrushed.

There was an 89 at MARRS 1, he was turning 36's. I don't know his prep level of the car, but I guess the biggest question is there the right parts out there to make a good prep effort to run in the front of the pack.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

On paper, those should be good ITB cars. But I think the development road may be long. Most of the ITB BMW knowledge is centered around the 2002, which I think is a pretty different animal from an E30 318.

I am thinking they will indeed make a fine ITB car. Mine is just about finished. I expect the suspension/handling to be a strong point with the car. Not a whole lot of choices/options with the M10 motor but its darn near bulletproof. Izzy's Custom Cages in St. Louis did the cage work. It will have group N springs/bilstein shocks/KMAC plates as the suspension starting point. As I get some more experience I'll play with the suspension a bunch. After I blow up/abuse the stock motor in the vehicle it will get a specific IT rebuild. I don't expect to do that before next winter right now. The expense has been pretty minimal to date. I do not expect to run up front (driver limited!) with the VWs, Volvos, and 2002s but you never know. Tons of cheap racing thrills is what I'm really after with this thing anyway. It will also be a starter car for my son to get into the sport too.

The E30 318i is an excellent ITB car. I began racing an '85 in ITB many years ago. It was a consistent front runner in the northeast. The trick is to spring them hard (high spring rates) and let them breath (Stahl header with limited exhaust). My car had the exhaust stop just behind the driver, without a muffler. Get rid of the KMACs. There are plenty of shops that know how to develop the car. PM me if you have specific questions.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

The one memory I have of an ITB E30 318 on the track, was watching it barrel roll on the front stretch at Summit Point. I was racing my ITB Rabbit GTI, and had the throttle cable break comming out of Turn 10. I pulled the car off the track, on driver's left, just past the starter stand. I was watching what was going on in my rear view mirror, when the next thing I see, is this 318 hook a hard right, and start rolling down the front straight. Seems a couple of cars were battling behind him, and one tried to go up the right side. Not sure if the 318 moved over on him or what, but it was a RR/LF contact (kinda like a police PIC move), and that was all there was for the BMW. Fortunately, the driver was ok, but I heard later, that ther driver's wife told him that that was his last race.

[attachmentid=432]It wasn't this one by any chance?

[attachmentid=432]It wasn't this one by any chance?
    [/b]
    From what I remember, that looks like the one.

Build more B cars. Pass it on...

K

Hey Ed! i'll take you up on that offer. I have been grappling with spring rate choices for sure. You may change my mind about redoing the suspension. Maybe just do the whole coilover thing right the first time!

Uh oh... SLUF's in the house.... IT.com's getting dragged into the gutter :P

See ya on Sunday???!!!
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Hey Scott, I hope I didn't embarrass your handiwork Sunday. Stock 318i M10 motor versus Vettes, Camaros, and M3s just wears me out! I promise to do better next time out.

I raced a 79 320 and a 67.5 2002. I foreget the actual weight numbers, but the 320 had 100# more LF(and RF ) weight. Thus the 02 was always faster. The 320 was/is a lot better car as far as brakes and handleing feel. The spring rates around 500fr and 450 rear worked pretty well., I used VW front struts, welded to the BMW bottom half, so we could use the Tokico 1100 race struts. They wore out and we used Bilstein from then on.
    The 320 was my most favorite IT race car of about 10 or so. if your foot was off the gas it had a soft push, but if it was planted it just drifted real nice out of turn 5 @ WGI
    The 02 was faster, but the stock chassis is real soft, in the front. it also ate up lots of brake $
    The accusump kept the engine alive with mobil one in it. It races now for Ed Tucker, mostly at Nelson.
    I have a solid, complete, 83-320/318 5spd car for sale, make a nice race car. ($200) But my son is in love with his VW for now, and my TVR for later.
    Mike Ogren , FL.
    AKA Madd Mike,
    www.racingcarsrental.com

Mike,

I am interested in your 320, PM me.

Donnie