Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's May 1st...How's your SIR???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well... Anyone have any input/info/results/dyno runs to share?

Whatta ya got???

Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Well... Anyone have any input/info/results/dyno runs to share?

Whatta ya got???
    [/b]
    sorry, no results here. ran my last scca its race yesterday...off to bmwcca.

someone else brought an sir to the track. held it in my hands. it felt cold, dead....EVIL! ;-)

marshall

Well... Good luck Marshall.

What cams did you decide to go with?

BTW...Since you won't be running ITS anymore would you care to share your dyno numbers by PM (if you don't mind)?

TIA

someone else brought an sir to the track. held it in my hands. it felt cold, dead....EVIL! ;-)

marshall
    [/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Well... Good luck Marshall.

What cams did you decide to go with?

BTW...Since you won't be running ITS anymore would you care to share your dyno numbers by PM (if you don't mind)?

TIA
    [/b]
    decided to just run bmwcca in ITS trim (minus restrictor plate) for this summer. will change the car over next winter...unless it looks like the scca ITR class actually will happen.

will pm ya.

How many races have you run with this car in ITS?
    [/b]
    hi steve,
    two full MARRS seasons at ten races a season on this car. only missed one weekend i think.

will be down at vir for the sarrc/marrs event...running the same car in ITE. i must be a fool to do it though after the carnage of ITS running with GT1, GT2, ITE, T2 and ITE at MARRS 1 yesterday. sheesh, i'd rather run with the spec miata's...much more sane group. dj and i didn't exactly have a lot of racing fun, nor will the body repair we both now have to do be fun.

will be down at vir for the sarrc/marrs event...running the same car in ITE. i must be a fool to do it though after the carnage of ITS running with GT1, GT2, ITE, T2 and ITE at MARRS 1 yesterday. sheesh, i'd rather run with the spec miata's...much more sane group. dj and i didn't exactly have a lot of racing fun, nor will the body repair we both now have to do be fun. [/quote]

Marshall, VIR will be ok for you to run ITE. IMO. I'm worried again because of the SIR and what it might do to my gearing.

decided to just run bmwcca in ITS trim (minus restrictor plate) for this summer. will change the car over next winter...unless it looks like the scca ITR class actually will happen.

will pm ya.
    hi steve,
    two full MARRS seasons at ten races a season on this car. only missed one weekend i think.

will be down at vir for the sarrc/marrs event...running the same car in ITE. i must be a fool to do it though after the carnage of ITS running with GT1, GT2, ITE, T2 and ITE at MARRS 1 yesterday. sheesh, i'd rather run with the spec miata's...much more sane group. dj and i didn't exactly have a lot of racing fun, nor will the body repair we both now have to do be fun.
    [/b]

Marshall,

Which of the listed sanctioning body's rules does an ITS E36 conform to?

Marshall,

[/b]
    See You at VIR then. It can run ITE as an Ex Grand Am Cup or Ex World Challenge.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Marshall,

[/b]
    none. i planned on asking the ite rules committee to accept bmwclub racing as the sanctioning body. several others already run in that config. nobody seems to care. the new ite class rep is ed york, another its bmw ex-patriot. running a vette now, but definitely sympathetic to the bmw issue....

if someone in ite makes a stink about a ex-its bmw running with them (or beating most of them again) i will just say bye-bye to scca altogether (in this car). still toying with srx7 instead.

marshall
    [/b]
    How many races have you run with this car in ITS?
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

marshall
    [/b]
    Marshall, are you sure that was the SIR you were holding?

Dan, since I think it was yours, I hope it was your SIR

Mark Lapos
    ITS RX7 #23
    www.rpperformanceracing.com

NASA has the new PT class that IT cars can fit in. Not 100% competitive but not horrible either from what I can read into the rules.

Andy 'Fingers crossed for ITR" Bettencourt
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

So... Has anyone actually TRIED racing with an SIR on an E36, or are you guys so afraid to have to actually compete with the other cars on equal footing that you have decided just to jump ship based on speculation and here-say???

Just thought I'd ask...

I'm curious as to how the reaction might have differed had we just made the car weight 3200lbs...

Something tells me NOT that much different...
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

So... Has anyone actually TRIED racing with an SIR on an E36, or are you guys so afraid to have to actually compete with the other cars on equal footing that you have decided just to jump ship based on speculation and here-say???

Just thought I'd ask...

I'm curious as to how the reaction might have differed had we just made the car weight 3200lbs...

Something tells me NOT that much different... [/b]
    I just got off the dyno with the SIR , will be racing @ VIR next weekend with (legal E36) a lot of the guys that post here. I'm sure you get a full report.

Just thought I'd ask...

[/b]
    We have a double at Pocono next weekend - there are at least two E-36 attending. We'll see how it goes.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Just thought I'd ask...

[/b]
    nice obnoxious way to ask the question. sheesh.
    jumped ship because i don't want to spend thousands of dollars and hours of track time figuring out how to go slower.

jumped ship because i don't want to spend thousands of dollars and hours of track time figuring out how to go slower.
    [/b]
    I wasn't trying to be obnoxious... I was trying to be a dick...

What ever happened to figuring out how to DRIVE the car faster?? The rest of us have been having to do that to overcome the extreme deficit that has existed in ITS for the past 7 or 8 years... You should try it... it's FUN!

To the rest of you who are doing actual testing... Good or bad... do please give us a full report... This type of information is rare, and invaluable in getting things "right"...

Thanks,
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

I wasn't trying to be obnoxious... I was trying to be a dick...
    What ever happened to figuring out how to DRIVE the car faster?? The rest of us have been having to do that to overcome the extreme deficit that has existed in ITS for the past 7 or 8 years... You should try it... it's FUN!

Thanks,
    [/b]
    yet another moronic comment.

now you are saying bmw drivers haven't been trying to drive faster all along? spare us your drivel.

now you are saying bmw drivers haven't been trying to drive faster all along? spare us your drivel.
    [/b]
    I'm saying that boneyard heads and stock bottom ends ain't going to do it anymore... Not making this up... Not hypothetical... review previous threads on the topic... Which indicates that winning is almost given, even with an 8/10ths effort... Which implies that you don't necessarily have to be the best driver on the block to win in a Pre-Adjusted ITS E36... Now you'll have to step up to the plate...

Anyone whose been watching BMW drivers race KNOWS they are trying to go faster... typcially, they are MANY seconds a lap faster...

[RANT MODE]
    And Spare me the woe-is-me sob stories about how unfair the BMW is being treated... I suppose you would have been one of those that would have preferred to weight 3200lbs? Think of all the pieces of the puzzle that would have been affected had that been the course taken... You suppose the "expense" of the SIR is equal to the costs in tires/brakes/wear and tear on your car at 3200lbs?

For those of us who fought to do something to correct the overdog problem WITHOUT making the BMW uncompetitive... your bitching and moaning is a slap in the face and an insult... The CRB and the ITAC, regardless of which method was being supported, have talked about NOTHING less than trying to get the ITS class balanced WITHOUT making anyone uncompetitive (which is redundant, since "balanced" implies that everyone is competitive...)...

I don't give a rats A$$ if you agree with the methods being tried, but to suggest that anything but the best intentions were at hand is childish and uninformed... If the SIR doesn't work the first time out, the CRB has shown it's willingness to make the corrections necessary to get things right...

As people have suggested before, it can be considered a GIFT that the BMW E36 doesn't weigh 3200lbs right now. Accept it, test it, and report back the results with FACTS and DATA... Otherwise, you are no more "right" than we are...

Or... you can run off and leave the SCCA to run with another organization, and essentially admit that you can't make the cut in a heads up situation... Perhaps you aren't quite the driver you think you are??
    [/RAND MODE]
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

we did some testing with the SIR. go to S.E. div. forum . topic , 1.8 miata at roebling .
    you'll find my report about the SIR. ithink the post speaks for itself. i asked a question at the end and the post went dead, so i guess the results from scca's testing would not be seen as promised .
    steve saney
    it-7 /it-a #34