Thread: Big tires ITR

Does any know if 245.45.17 or 245.40.17 will fit on a E36 325, and or would they be a legal size in ITR?

dj,

Not sure if they'll fit (I suspect that they will), but I don't see why they wouldn't be legal. I've seen ITC and ITC cars squeeze 225/50 tires on 6" wheels, and IIRC, the proposed max. wheel width for ITR was 8". I see no issue at all getting a 245 width tire on an 8" rim.

235/40 or 245/40 have both been used successfully from what I've gathered on other forums. I've never personally tried 17" wheels on the E36 as my street car is a MCoupe and wears 245/275 rubber easily (I run 235/265). With the 8" wheel 235 might be a better match (depending on tire brand...ie Hoosier)...245 Toyos work on 8" rims I believe. Many threads re: this on Bimmerforums.

Man I can't wait to buy 3 or 4 sets of 17" rims ...but hold on...Is there a point with stock 325 brakes??? What about 15x8 or 16x8 rims? BTW, Hoosier has a 245/40 only listed in 17 in a R6. 245/50/15 and 245/45/16...hmm.

Does any know if 245.45.17 or 245.40.17 will fit on a E36 325, and or would they be a legal size in ITR?
    [/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Apologize for the threadjack---

Mark, you have an M Coupe?? Damn I miss mine, 2000 Oxford Green. Got me into track days, and ultimatley racing. Great car. Which year/color is yours?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

[/b]
    245/45 17 won't fit on a really lowered car. too tall. i ran 245/45 16 on my its car for a while and they barely fit. went back to 225/50's as they seemed faster.

245/40 17 seems to be the norm for bmwcca jp e36's.

Hey Jeff... It's a 2000 Estoril/Estoril. I think you must have forgotten me...we used to talk on the Mcoupe board and on the BOP215/Rover V8 yahoo group (I have a built '62 Skylark as well) as well I think.

Apologize for the threadjack---

Mark, you have an M Coupe?? Damn I miss mine, 2000 Oxford Green. Got me into track days, and ultimatley racing. Great car. Which year/color is yours?
    [/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

235/40 or 245/40 have both been used successfully from what I've gathered on other forums. I've never personally tried 17" wheels on the E36 as my street car is a MCoupe and wears 245/275 rubber easily (I run 235/265). With the 8" wheel 235 might be a better match (depending on tire brand...ie Hoosier)...245 Toyos work on 8" rims I believe. Many threads re: this on Bimmerforums.

Man I can't wait to buy 3 or 4 sets of 17" rims ...but hold on...Is there a point with stock 325 brakes??? What about 15x8 or 16x8 rims? BTW, Hoosier has a 245/40 only listed in 17 in a R6. 245/50/15 and 245/45/16...hmm.
    [/b]

Like you I've been going over all the scenarios. I don't think the stock brakes will be a problem, with the bigger tires you can scrub off any excess speed and you have the rubber to grip. Nice to see different points of view.

dj,

Not sure if they'll fit (I suspect that they will), but I don't see why they wouldn't be legal. I've seen ITC and ITC cars squeeze 225/50 tires on 6" wheels, and IIRC, the proposed max. wheel width for ITR was 8". I see no issue at all getting a 245 width tire on an 8" rim. [/b]

Fast trak showed that the wheels we are allowed to use are 17 X 8.5" is this correct? Can someone please verify this.

Thanks

ITAC recomended 8" and the CRB printed 8.5". I would not buy anything untill after August when I was sure which it will end up.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

ITAC recomended 8" and the CRB printed 8.5". I would not buy anything untill after August when I was sure which it will end up. [/b]

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wheels I'm looking at are 17x8's. I doubt that I could fit any wider on the front. On the rear I've heard of 9" to 10" on the rear. I think the stock size is 8.5 on the rear 7.5 front. I'd rather have the flexability of having the same size front and rear verses the stock staggered set up.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

We recommended the 8s, but there were some "translation" issues and the wrong size, as well as the wrong list of cars got published. Typos, LOL.

My impression after the con call was that clarifications would be issued, and then of course, the BoD votes in August, and then we read the real deal.

There are still a lot of ways for this to go-

- The BoD says "Go fish, no deal."
    -The BoD says, "Ok, but not until '08."
    -The BoD says "OK,"... but with unseen modifications.
    -The BodD says, "Sure whatever, fine. Next?"

I think the last one is the right way to go.
    We'll see!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

We recommended the 8s, but there were some "translation" issues and the wrong size, as well as the wrong list of cars got published. Typos, LOL.

My impression after the con call was that clarifications would be issued, and then of course, the BoD votes in August, and then we read the real deal.

There are still a lot of ways for this to go-

- The BoD says "Go fish, no deal."
    -The BoD says, "Ok, but not until '08."
    -The BoD says "OK,"... but with unseen modifications.
    -The BodD says, "Sure whatever, fine. Next?"

I think the last one is the right way to go.
    We'll see! [/b]

From what you are telling me, it sounds like what I've been saying all along. Get the damn BoD out of the planning of classes & all technical issues, let the CRB & ITAC do there jobs and let the BoD direct politics!

I believe that the wheels should be 8.5" because of the over all tires choises. Sectional width would benefit for the wider wheel. IMO

Well Dan it's all checks and balances. In general, the BoD looks at what is presented them and in most cases, passes it. If the ITAC has done it's job, and the CRB has ensured that the class fits the overall racing program, the BoDs job is straightforward.

Their job is to look at the very big picture, and make sure what is presented them fits. Hopefully the feedback they've gotten from the constituents will help them vote in the affirmative.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

While I agree the ITAC and the CRB are a lot closer to the issues and spend more time thinking about the details, SCCA is a democratic organization and the BOD are actually elected and are held responsible for decisions.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

While I agree the ITAC and the CRB are a lot closer to the issues and spend more time thinking about the details, SCCA is a democratic organization and the BOD are actually elected and are held responsible for decisions.
    [/b]

Well Dan it's all checks and balances. In general, the BoD looks at what is presented them and in most cases, passes it. If the ITAC has done it's job, and the CRB has ensured that the class fits the overall racing program, the BoDs job is straightforward.

Their job is to look at the very big picture, and make sure what is presented them fits. Hopefully the feedback they've gotten from the constituents will help them vote in the affirmative. [/b]

Whether, your in business or Vietnam you didn't want someone in the rear with the gear telling me what is happening in front of me. I agree they should look at the big picture. Just make sure they work on solutions & don't become part of the problem. I'm not only talking about the ITR thing, I want them to evaluate their roles on all CRB & ITAC matters.

.... I'm not only talking about the ITR thing, I want them to evaluate their roles on all CRB & ITAC matters.
    [/b]
    Dan, one of the cool things about SCCA is that you are able to get that point across, right into the ear of the BoD. The BoD guys are members...just like you and me. In the NE, our BoD guy is Bob Introne. I see Bob regularly at the track, and if theres something I want him to be aware of, it's a simple matter to walk up in a free moment and tell him.

I think that the "new SCCA" is a much more open place, and BoD guys are more approachable than ever.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I think that the "new SCCA" is a much more open place, and BoD guys are more approachable than ever. [/b]

Jake,

No matter what we try and do in life, it becomes a team that is able to get you there.Go fast, travel alone, go far you need a team. I wish the "NEW SCCA" the best of luck and hope it uses good common sense.

[/b]
    MILLER FOR BOD
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7