Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing Gear, what do you use?

I don't doubt you, but what is the logic behind only cooling the oil when the least amount of heat is generated?

Why would it not use a thermostatically controled bypass like most other oil cooler applications?

Interesting...
    [/b]
    I would agree.

From what I'm told (my cousin owns a trans shop), when the convertor locks, the valving causes to flow to reverse (this is actually what causes the clutch to lock) and fluid flow changes. This opposite direction is required to get the fluid to flow through to cooler.

Makes no sense to me either, since I'd think that it would make more sense to only cool it when there's convertor slippage (if you *had* to make a choice).

I also remembered that part of the issue with constant locking and unlocking of the convertor is that it puts excessive wear on the convertor clutch mechanism that locks it up. Obviously everything wearable has a finite life, so the less wear, especially under heavy load, the better...

Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

'97 Voyager 3.3 towing a little over 3200lbs, with a couple hundred pounds of gear in the van (but seats removed so it's almost a wash). Tranny cooler and airshocks at about 80psi are the only mods. I tow at 65 in 4th with the cruise on when possible, the van will not unlock the torque converter or downshift when in cruise, so when I reach a hill the van starts to slow, I downshift to 4th and the revs jump to 3000, and drop back down a couple hundred when the converter locks in 3rd, the van will accelerate back to 65. An I upshift back to 4th. The van will not upshift until it's good and ready, and when it does I watch and make sure the converter locks right away. It does this all the time while in cruise, when not in cruise I monitor it closely to keep the converter locked.

For most people with real trucks this is not much of a worry, but I have a minivan with a notoriously weak transmission. 119,000 miles and no problems yet My next tow vehicle will likely be another minivan if gas stays around $3 a gallon. Last time I towed with it my mileage actually INCREASED over my daily driving mileage because I baby it so much while towing (75-80mph on highway, lead foot around town unladen) I get around 20-22mpg in warm weather, less if it's cold.
    Driver School: Complete (April 2007)
    Regional License requirements: Complete (June 2007)
    Race Car: Renting, started building my own
    First Win: TBD (3rd in Pumpkin enduro! ITA)

95 Dodge Ram 2500. 5.9 Cimmins Turbo diesel. Mauual 5 speed tranny, and 4.11 rear end. I carry a static 2000lb load in the bed. Truck is normally scaling 8100lb without driver. It gives me 17 to 18 mpg around town. When towing the race car I unload some of the gear from the bed then tow a 20' enclosed with a 2650lb car and about 500lbs of gear. At 60mph towing in 5th gear I can get 17mph on flat ground. It drops to 12mph at 70mph and when towing through the mountains. The truck has 420XXX original miles and still pulling strong.

Chuck
    [/b]
    Chuck you just made my day!!! Purchased an 05 Cummins TD and to date it has just over 15K. Looks like she is with me for the long run!! Our truck is a 4spd auto but has a tow/haul mode gets roughly 12-13 MPG while towing a 24 footer wieghing in at just a hair over 9K lbs with all the equipment. We used to used my father's 03 Ram 2500 with the Hemi and used to tow with the OD off since she would hunt between 4th and 5th all the time. Although with the Hemi cranking at 3k with a Gibson and cold air intake it was music to the ears!!
    W J Weaver

Are the Weavers coming to Nelson Legistan this coming weekend for the enduro ? I'll be there...just wondering who the paddock neighbors will be.

Are the Weavers coming to Nelson Legistan this coming weekend for the enduro ? I'll be there...just wondering who the paddock neighbors will be.
    [/b]
    HMMM The car owner Didn't mention whilst at Pocono. Loaded up the car and disappeared into the setting Sun, with the newly purchased enduro wheels and tires. :P I'd better check His Ebay account.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

[/b]
    No trying to talk EZ into running the NH 3 hour enduro ...Are you going to the regional June 10-11??
    W J Weaver

I'll be there for the June 10th-11th Reg'l...just not sure which car I'll bring.

hmm, the manual on my 99 gmc suburban k2500 w/454 says specifically to tow in od. 65k miles of mostly towing a 7500lb 20ft enclosed, runs great. gets 8.5mpg, but tows great in od.
    [/b]
    Marshall,

That's probably because you have the 4L80E trans and a 4.10:1 rear. I've got a '98 K2500 HD w/ a Vortec 350 w/ the 4L80E trans, and IIRC, it says to tow in OD. Prior to that, I had an '89 K1500 TBI 350 w/ a 3.42:1 rear and a 700R4 trans. No way would I try to tow anything but an empty open trailer in OD. The motors made no power (225hp stock) and those trannys sucked!

Marshall,

That's probably because you have the 4L80E trans and a 4.10:1 rear. I've got a '98 K2500 HD w/ a Vortec 350 w/ the 4L80E trans, and IIRC, it says to tow in OD. Prior to that, I had an '89 K1500 TBI 350 w/ a 3.42:1 rear and a 700R4 trans. No way would I try to tow anything but an empty open trailer in OD. The motors made no power (225hp stock) and those trannys sucked!
    [/b]
    This is interesting, the owners manual for my '95 K2500 Suburban, 454/4L80E/4.10 rear says to tow in (3). That being said, I've tried it and for my needs OD works fine. I'm only towing a 2300 lbs car on a 800 lbs dolly, if I had a large trailer I would reevaluate things though.

-Bob