Thread: ITS RX7 and Autocross

Hi,

I'm considering buying a well prepared ITS '86 RX7 - I've been told it's a front runner, but need to check this out. As I'm on a tight budget, I would like to use te car for autocross initially, then track race it later in the year.

The car would be in the Street Prepared autocross class - but I have no idea how competitive it would be in this class. I've been racing for years, but have only moved to the US and haven't got a handle on class structures, what is fast, what isn't etc.

Anybody able to shed some light on this?

Thanks

generally speaking, roadrace cars get spanked in an autocross. Even if you have "the model to have" for the class, the set up and rule allowances are so different. I think that the rulesmakers just don't see a lot of "crossover" potential, so the rulesets have little to do with each other.

That said, theres no reason not to run an ITS RX-7 at an autocross, just don't expect too much. THe largest issue will likely be noise, as many autocrosses have more restrictive noise limits than the races, and the 7 isn't the quietest out of the box.

If you want to do a bunch of events, then make sure to get yourself some"A" compound tires, as opposed to "R" compound versions, if you care enough and have the budget. THe Rs are a bit slow to warm on an autoX course. (You'll slide like a greased pig, in other words, LOL)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thats great advice - thanks.

My first year will probably be mainly autocross - and I hate to be one of the slower competitors. Might just get an autocross car first - learn to be competitive in that - then buy a race car once I decide to go racing. Do it properly, not look for the 'one fits all' car.

If anyone else has a view - let me know.

Thanks

"I'm considering buying a well prepared ITS '86 RX7 - I've been told it's a front runner, but need to check this out. As I'm on a tight budget, I would like to use te car for autocross initially..."

Casso, this don't compute. I promise you, you cannot buy a front running ITS car on a tight budget. You can buy a nice one but not a contender. If you really want to road race I suggest you figure how much $ you want to spend this year, back out the entry and operating costs, and buy as good a car as you can get w/ what is left. That may mean ITA/7 but you will be road racing and you will have a blast regardless.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I think Bill is right - there aren't any front running cars on a budget. But, you have a good strategy. You can run your road race car in autocross against cars there are better suited to autocross and won't likely win, but you will be getting a masters degree in car control that will serve you very well in road racing. Several of the top ITS guys here in the NE started in autocross before they came to road racing and I think the autocross guys pickup the line and the car control skills faster.

Your Mazda will blow everybodies ears off at an autocross....
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Before you spend time and money on auto-x, you should know that it's not just the car and setup that's different from road racing. Driving style to make good times in auto-x is not conducive to good laptimes on an open track. Road racing ---> smooth is fast. If you are going after a competitive car in either venue the other posts are right on - how much do you want to spend - or learn to do your self. Prep is the key to both.

If you want to jump into a competitive car (at least have competition) and have something fun to toss around the occasional auto-x, you might join the Spec Miata legions - not that we need anymore of those - kinda like a plague... Or if you just want to auto-x on the cheaper - get a F125 shifter kart.

Jason.
    1989 ITA 240sx - #21 MARRS Series

http://www.timelapseracing.com

Having done both racing and autocrossing, they are surprisingly different, and both are hugely challenging to do very very well.

But one thing I've noticed, as have others: A good autocrosser can usually be a good track driver or racer, but a good racer rarely makes a top notch autocrosser.

Autocrossing is hugely anal. You have to learn a "concept", and the application in three tries, and get it nearly perfect on the third try. And you must have superb car placement and control skills to trophy at the national level.

Road racing is different. You can actually make a mistake and not lose a place. Often the race doesn't go to the fastest lap. Management and strategy take an important role.

Both are great, but I think a year spent autocrossing heavily pays big dividends.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com