Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.8 Miata at Roebling

I know it is a good miata track...but the 1.8 of Van Steenburg is DESTROYING them there! 1:22.660?? wow! I wont even bother to go to the SARRC runoffs there! well over a second faster than the track record! Banging on the door of the ITS record...oh and 3rd overall?? wow! I know Mike is an awesome driver and has a very well prepared car but geez!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Well, you know how those Integras were so fast that the Miata's would never stand a chance before. (tongue in cheek). Maybe that's why you had to add so much weight! I believe we have a new winner! After they destroy the competition in A this year, do you suppose they'll have to run with more weight? I suppose all you Integra drivers need to save your money on development and see what (or if) happens.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

How about the ITS race?

Evan, get use to it. I highly doubt it's the only time you'll see this this year.

Hopefully Andy is listening, between building one for himself, and the 1.8's will get the weight they deserve.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Yippee, a good driver builds a no-expenses-spared car and takes it to the track that is undeniably the best track in the Southeast for a Miata and is about 1 second below what Alex's Integra did there last year. Yippedy freaking doo.

A fast lap time at Roebling does not an overdog make. Chill out. I can go to Roebling in my tired 1.6 Miata and do 1:23.7s all day long, about a second back from that time. Take my same car to Road Atlanta, and I am ~1.5-2 seconds back from the torquier cars.

Different cars excell at different tracks. Big deal.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Speaking of your tired 1.6 Miata.....did I see that it was for sale? If so what's next for ya?
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Speaking of your tired 1.6 Miata.....did I see that it was for sale? If so what's next for ya?
    [/b]
    A work-of-art 1.8 Miata! Fully ground-up build.

As it currently stands, I think the 1.8 is a bit better than the 1.6. I think the biggest difference will be a little extra torque, which SHOULD help at Road Atlanta and places like it.

That said, I still take exception to the people saying the car is going to be a world beater in ITA and needs a bunch of weight. Kevin, you know I love you dude, but you are WAY off on this one. If, in a year or two, 1.8 Miatas are dominating at every track, then I will eat my words. A Miata dominating at Roebling is nothing new at all...that is the character of that track, long sweeping turns, no elevation changes, no slow corner exits. Front wheel drive cars in ALL classes hate it.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Just got back from Roebling, my observations from midpack of the ITS/ITA/IT7 run group.

Kip Van Steenburg was FAST in an ITS Miata, had the pole on Saturday at 1:21 I believe. Mike Van Steenburg was 3rd at the time Bowie mentions.

Sunday, Steve Eckerich's Mazda was on the pole, I think the ITS Miata 3rd and Mike VS a few places back.

Roebling sort of sums up Andy's thoughts on the Miata though. It runs quick times but might not "race" so well with higher hp cars. Both races the BMW came from several places back on the start and got around the Miatas on the power section of the track, and the Miatas couldn't get around in the back half.

Interesting though. One guy looked at the ITS/ITA grid and said, "Damn! even ITS/ITA is turning into Spec Miata!"

Like Bowie said, wait until the results come in from a full prep Integra v. a full prep CRX v. Rickey Thompson v. a full prep 1.8 ITA Miata v. a full prep 240sx at VIR or Road Atlanta.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I was behind Mike in the race Saturday and you can bet he had that car hung out everywhere. I qualified on crap tires and started 8th so I was behind him for a few laps. I can only wish I could carry that kind of speed through turns 1-2 and come out the other side. 10/10ths driven and prepped in my opinion. Great job.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Oh Bowie, come on,,,,,, you know you are excited about a 1.8 !!!! I dont blame you, you have more Miata seat time than any other IT'er I know and with a bump in hp / tq you will be up front at RA too !!!!!
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

And if it was not clear from my post, both of those Miatas were incredibly well driven. Fun to watch.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Kevin, you know I love you dude, but you are WAY off on this one. If, in a year or two, 1.8 Miatas are dominating at every track, then I will eat my words. A Miata dominating at Roebling is nothing new at all...that is the character of that track, long sweeping turns, no elevation changes, no slow corner exits. Front wheel drive cars in ALL classes hate it.
    [/b]
    I'm not denying the quality of the car or the driver. Everyone knows that the Van Steenburg's don't show up at the track with anything less than a spectacularly prepared car and they can drive the wheels off of them. But I also believe that there's a reason why of all of the new classifications and weight adjustments for 2006, this is the one that seems to be getting the most discussion. There's probably a reason for that. Lay out the specs of a 1.8L Miata and a Integra side by side, then add RWD to the Miata and add ~225lbs (can't remember the excat number) to the Integra, and it's pretty clear. Hell, if I ever thought my ass could ever fit in one, I'd consider building one myself.

I understand that Roebling may be very, very fitting for a Miata but come on, 1 second ahead of the ARRC winning car? I'd buy half a second maybe. Also remember that those Integras are carrying 115lbs more now than they were last year.

I haven't been that up in arms about it because I'm confident that it'll work out. There are going to be several very good 1.8L Miata efforts showing up at tracks this year with great drivers. I believe that by the end of the year, we'll get a good indication of what the results end up showing one of these cars can do when fully prepped and properly piloted. If they show to be "on par" and competitive, than bravo competition board! If it shows that they're winning everything and busting track records, the competition board will/should adjust them accordingly at the end of the year as they promised to with all new classifications.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I'm not denying the quality of the car or the driver. Everyone knows that the Van Steenburg's don't show up at the track with anything less than a spectacularly prepared car and they can drive the wheels off of them. But I also believe that there's a reason why of all of the new classifications and weight adjustments for 2006, this is the one that seems to be getting the most discussion. There's probably a reason for that. Lay out the specs of a 1.8L Miata and a Integra side by side, then add RWD to the Miata and add ~225lbs (can't remember the excat number) to the Integra, and it's pretty clear. Hell, if I ever thought my ass could ever fit in one, I'd consider building one myself.

I understand that Roebling may be very, very fitting for a Miata but come on, 1 second ahead of the ARRC winning car? I'd buy half a second maybe. Also remember that those Integras are carrying 115lbs more now than they were last year.

I haven't been that up in arms about it because I'm confident that it'll work out. There are going to be several very good 1.8L Miata efforts showing up at tracks this year with great drivers. I believe that by the end of the year, we'll get a good indication of what the results end up showing one of these cars can do when fully prepped and properly piloted. If they show to be "on par" and competitive, than bravo competition board! If it shows that they're winning everything and busting track records, the competition board will/should adjust them accordingly at the end of the year as they promised to with all new classifications.
    [/b]
    Alex's time was last year, before the weight, I'll give you that, but I still say throw out Roebling, at least until it gets some decent pavement. Front drivers have about 3-5 laps before they pick up a death-push there as the track is now.

I am pretty sure that the 1.8 is faster than the 1.6 (obviously) but I really don't think it will be a killer on a track like Road Atlanta, or VIR, etc... I think between the lack of torque and the horrendous aero they will turn out to be GOOD cars, but not cars that can run away. The goal of the ITAC, in other words. Every car right now seems to have a strength and a weakness...perfection!

As it stands right now, if money were no object, here is what I would be thinking:
    Short Race = Integra (but it better be short, because I think you guys are gonna have trouble keeping tires on 'em)
    Medium Race = NX2000 (Greg will win the ARRC this year if you don't beat him Kevin, if he can keep it together and custom-build every part on the damn car!)
    Long Race = Miata, Miata, Miata, Miata! I like me some enduros. I think when I finish my 1.8 it will be fast enough to stick around and watch the battle for the lead at the ARRC, and capitalize if someone screws up, but put it in the lead coming out of turn 7 at Road Atlanta and it will be about 3rd or 4th by turn 10!
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Say what you want, but I'd be willing to bet a bowl of gumbo, that out of the six cars in impound after the ITA race at the ARRC, that 4 of them will be 1.8 Miatas, and the majority of the Integra guys will be in the paddock with a case of the reds...and a beer...or two.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Say what you want, but I'd be willing to bet a bowl of gumbo, that out of the six cars in impound after the ITA race at the ARRC, that 4 of them will be 1.8 Miatas, and the majority of the Integra guys will be in the paddock with a case of the reds...and a beer...or two.
    [/b]

Shhhhh, Chris dont tell anyone but we are going to try sneaking a BMW in that impound too.......
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

[/b]
    I'll bet you, but we'll make it a six-pack, as I have no gumbo to bargain, and if by some fluke I am wrong, I am not giving up my spot at the cajun party!

Even if my car is finished and runs well, there is no way there will be 4 miatas out of 6 cars at the ARRC impound. No Way.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

those miata was very fast but was well prepped.steve e nice talking to you up there.
    tom and barry in it-7 nice race guys.sam h. sorry for the hit i really tried to stop.
    we tested the bmw with the SIR and the best time we ran was in the 1.24-1.25 range
    needless to say what the verdict will be,since on sunday for those who was there will 2nd this steve e
    car is well prepped and was right there with carlos on the FP restr.he almost passed him on the line. with the SIR we won't even beat the ita miata .
    good job SCCA in killing the class killer maybe now you can do the same for the ita miata.and probably level the field .
    steve saney
    it-7 /it-a #34

No gumbo or similar tasty delight...no bet!
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

those miata was very fast but was well prepped.
    we tested the bmw with the SIR and the best time we ran was in the 1.24-1.25 range
    needless to say what the verdict will be,since on sunday for those who was there will 2nd this steve e
    car is well prepped and was right there with carlos on the FP restr.he almost passed him on the line. with the SIR we won't even beat the ita miata .
    good job SCCA in killing the class killer maybe now you can do the same for the ita miata.and probably level the field . [/b]
    Steve, are you saying that a well built BMW only ran 1:24's and a ITS miata ran 1:21 ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Someone's got to be pulling my chain!!!!!! If this is the case, then it proves the point, there is a lot of difference between theory & practical application! LOL, this is scaring the hell out of me.

Let's bring some reality to this discussion.

On Saturday, the ITS BMW started 3rd or 4th, pulled the field at the start, and ran off and hid to the tune of a 12 second victory.

On Sunday, the ITS BMW got around the ITS Mazda on the pole at the start with some contact. It then went off in Turn 1/2 complex and the ITS Mazda took the lead. The ITS BMW ran it down and passed the ITS Mazda. At this point, the track was hot, slick and tires were going away. The ITS Mazda nearly passed the ITS BMW at the s/f line but the ITS BMW took the win and swept the weekend.

The ITS BMW I assume was running last year's FP restrictor. I see above that they claim they can't get more than a 1:24 out of the car with the SIR. That would be fast enough to run 3-4 place in that field.

The ITS Miata and an ITA Miata ran very fast times. Roebling, as noted above, is a Miata friendly track with one power section. SMs run 1:24 now there.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8