Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How the heck do you set up these FWD cars?

The biggest difference for setting up FWD is to remember to set it up on the hairy end of loose so it will balance out under power (just the opposite of RWD). That is, more throttle means less oversteer for FWD, while it meant more oversteer for RWD. I'd do it with one of these (which took the place of the 3 rear bars I used to have on my car): http://www.srsvw.com/parts/partdetail.asp?pid=11
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

Or at least that is one way to set it up. Just seems like a cars with that type of setup might be fast - or crashing. When you set a car up to be on the edge of control the consequences for crossing that edge are significant.

You are likely to find that there as many opinions on the 'right' setup as there are people competing. There are some guys that have been doing things the 'wrong' way for years and have done pretty well. The moral here is go ahead and ask around and get advice, but realize that the setup that works best for you will likely be a bit unique to you and your car.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

To put things in perspective, we've added a lot MORE bar this year on top of Shine's "big one," on the MkIII. It seemed really assey when i took off the front bar and put on that first rear unit.

K

Or at least that is one way to set it up. Just seems like a cars with that type of setup might be fast - or crashing. When you set a car up to be on the edge of control the consequences for crossing that edge are significant.

You are likely to find that there as many opinions on the 'right' setup as there are people competing. There are some guys that have been doing things the 'wrong' way for years and have done pretty well. The moral here is go ahead and ask around and get advice, but realize that the setup that works best for you will likely be a bit unique to you and your car.
    [/b]
    That's true Chris. I knew a guy that was one of the fast ITC Rabbits at Summit Point, and he ran a front bar on the car.

Eric,
    only one of those SRS bars?

We run 2 of them!!

Matt

Matt, TWO?! Well, um, um, ... hmmm.

Were the SRS A1 bars all the same rate? I do have pretty stiff springs (650 front, 425 rear). When I tried 400 lb rears, I did have to add a second rear bar (H&H style, don't recall the rate).

On the one hand, I like the idea of running just one rear bar to save unsprung weight. But, on the other hand, it was a lot easier to dial out oversteer for poor conditions when there was an extra one to pull. I guess almost everything's a trade-off!
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

How does the ABA head work on a 1.8 HT block?? or 9A block? Thanks, MM
    [/b]
    aba head works well, since it is a fairly direct bolt on (one oil galley is different in shape on the aba head than on the standard 8v head) plus it has the benefit of removing the intake manifold from directly above the exhaust mani. ABA head (or any 8v head for that matter) on a 9A block will give you something along the lines of 13:1 0r 14:1 compression ratio IIRC..

Mark Barr:

Could you please post any impressions you might have on the MidOhio repaving on "Regional Forums, MidWest Central Division, 'Any word on MidOhio repave...'". We are waiting anxiously!!!

Thanks.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

zracer22 Guest

The red n white curbing is ridiculous...tall, steep and you don't want to touch it. The pavement is smooth and grippy. The wet line is the same as the dry line. Lots of mud if you go off....no grass yet. The folks at Mid-O insist that the geometry of the track didn't change, but almost everyone says that the car doesn't get as light as it used to in Turn 11. Look for lap records set in every class this year. Time with the keyhole chicane this year are almost the same as times last year without the chicane.