Thread: Dual use IT car Racing/street

Okay I know almost no one drives their IT car to the track anymore but.........

Since your are required to replace the seat with a racing seat and install a harness neither of which are DOT approved, if you did drive your IT/SS/T to the track (assuming you had your harness on as a seat belt), could you be cited for and found guilty of a violation of the law?
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Of course!

But................
    the cop would have be feeling mighty grumpy. Look around at all the folks chatting on the celphone, (No headset), and driving without seatbelts, LOL. He's got lots of fish to fry.

However, if you're driving a race car with numbers like it's a race car, well, that might increase the grumpiness factor.

When I drove mine i never got a second glance.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Some states allow it and some don't. PA has a thing about rollcages-mainly if they have NASCAR bars IN the doors. The arguement deals with the ability to escape. Then there is the issue of mufflers and how they exhaust under the car. I had to go thru this before we started trailering and it was an experience during state inspection I would rather forget-but was successful and totally legal in the end. Seems the inspector has to be comfy with the setup as much as the state does and he was.

I do agree that there is a grumpiness factor associated with the visibility of a car with numnbers and decals such as ours. Then again we are very safe drivers aren't we

Happy holiday everyone
    Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    '89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    '03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Thanks to: KONI, Firefox Industries-Fire Suppression Systems, KIRK Racing and a host of others.

So, I've got a way aroound the number thing. Staples sell vehicle magnets. Just put your #'s on the magnets, and cut them out, then you can take them off. I've got all of my sanctioning body stickers on magnets so I can swap them out if I'm doing EMRA or SCCA or BMWCCA. I also found that you can move your magnets around to hide the blemishes caused by off track "experiences". And, they haven't fallen off even after going into the tire barriers.

If it helps...

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Back in the day my brother and I built what most of us here would refer to as a getto Audi from the hood... Bright yellow w/ a big wing, racing seat and belts, wheels, lowered suspension, exhaust, tinted tailights, hood pins, lots of lights including the huge Hella 3000's, etc, etc, etc.

He got pulled over by one of those grumpy cops for the lights (they were not on and it was during the day) and he was givien a warning a mile long... and told to change everything back, as in NH you are technically not allowed to change ANYTHING from the factory specs.

Basically your IT car is NOT leagal for the street in NH, but niether is a club/pro Rally Car but who is really checking

Raymond

RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Now of course the GCR doesn't say that you *have* to remove your stock belts. Just wear them over the top off your harness when you're on the street.

Why yes, Mr. Officer, I *am* wearing my DOT approved seat belts. Those big fat straps with "Sabelt" written all over them are just my suspenders!

-bill

Pablo I was - and Pablo II will be - fully inspected and licensed in NC. The first incarnation was OBDII so it had to undergo the full emissions, safety, and roadworthiness inspection, which it passed with no trouble. (My street car got bounced last time for needing a wiper blade.) v.3.2 is old enough that it is technically "safety only."

Apparently there's no issue in NC with the belts, seat, or cage. I never had any problems with the locals or state police but I got revved on by a couple of guys including one in a Chevy S10 at the Rally TN.

My plan for the end of this season is to see how competitive a street-licensed ITB car can be at the ARRC. I haven't decided yet if I'll actually drive it down...

K

Not sure about other states, but here in NJ, anything that's 25 years old, or older, qualifies for Historic plates. There is no annual inspection, but there are restrictions on when and where you can drive it. One of the places you can drive it to, are to 'events'. To me, a race could easily be considered an 'event'. In that case, you could have a full-boogie race car, and drive it on the street, legally. Right now, my HP Rabbit would qualify, if I actually had a title for it.

It does depend on the #+*hole factor. My son was ticketed in NC for speeding, and while giving the cop no lip at all, was told that those belts were in no way legal, and HE really didn't like the cage. This was in my 2002 SSC Nissan Sentra SE-R. The speeding was 43 in a 35. I guess the cop didn't like kids or my son didn't have enough Krispy-Kreme's.

Russ
    Russ

I guess we are lucky in N.S. I break the motors in with a valid safety inspection and a D plate !
    We do run street legal tires in IT.Have not had he opportunity to converse with an officer of the law
    on one of these trips however.
    Derek

I guess we are lucky in N.S. I break the motors in with a valid safety inspection and a D plate !
    We do run street legal tires in IT.Have not had he opportunity to converse with an officer of the law
    on one of these trips however.
    Derek
    [/b]
    Preface: Any cop can find something to ticket you on if he/she is in the mood.

Have driven for numerous years in WI, no probs 60-75mi or so one way. Got pulled over by a state trooper once for not doing the turn signal at a stop light, but no tickets. I think he was just curious. Looked at the tires, but they had a coupple tread grooves on, and of course were DOT approved. Car passes full emissions testing (when the cat is on!) and sound when the 3-disc supertrapp megaphone (which also serves as it's own speed limiting device on the rx-7) is stuck on. Full numbers/stickers package. Maybe someday I'll get the collector blue plates on it so I don't have to get it tested every two years.

Even drove it back in second gear one time when the trans froze. Ouch, that was a long trip!

Don't know true legality of it though. Remember to tape the leading edge of your mag numbers!

I will admit several times driving the race car to work. It used to be my DD. Although I get many silly looks (especially since I'm dressed up professionally) I've never had a problem with the police.

**NOTE: I find driving like a grandma helps. Go figure - if ANYBODY called the police on me for driving like an idiot, it's pretty easy to describe the car with a #35 so big even the helicopter can find it on the hood

PLUS - I save 1 gallon of gas driving to work in the car vs the denali (tow vehicle). Gas sucks!

I've had lots of police cars look at me. But I havent given them any reason to pull me over. I think that has been the biggest issue. Not giving them a reason. Overly loud exhaust or slick tires or missing bumpers or missing lights. Its written in the IT rules that cars can be street legal. So I currently dual use mine. Its working out great so far. On track everyone works hard to give racing room. So I dont feel like I'm going to come home on a tow hook. The hardest part is unloading and loading the car. Makes ya tired before the mornings practice. It does help keep me in shape a little I guess. hah hah

I have to admit since my boyfriend and I work near each other I've cut back on daily driving the 309,000 mile race car. But for now its still the main transport/ racing vehicle.

As for cops, dont make eye contact and if they are within ear shot hope your engine is quiet. And as for belts, here in California I think some cops rather we (tuner car drivers) have cages and harnesses in our cars than not.

Toodles, Stacey_B
    MY 'NEW' 1990 RACE CAR 2009 ITB CalClub Championship - Solo2 (FSP) www.scpoc.com : www.probetalk.com Racing is my life.
    Winner One Lap of America 2003- SSGT2 class 1996 Ford Probe GT.
    Sponsors: Porterfield Racing brakes - LTB Motorsports - Tires Warehouse - Hankook tires - Auto-Meter

I'd think emissions/inspection/lights the only thing a problem with some cars. I plan to tag mine IF I can get it high enough - right now the exhaust is about 1" off the ground. But, my car is of the 72-74 vintage and in NC requires no emissions inspection - just horn, lights, etc. which I can get working with the remnants of the wiring harness.

Belts and cage, don't see anything in the DMV rules about it being illegal. Might not like them, but at least for my vintage car a lapbelt is legal.

R

I'll add another iron to the fire: I've run into a title issue so Pablo won't be tagged before the SARRC/MARRS in two weeks. This leaves me unable to do my typical drive-around-and-be-sure-it-all-works routine before the race. How do you people go to the track having not put a couple of hours on things after a rebuild or whatever? Talk about anxiety-producing!

K

test days as shake down ahead of the event. Or just hope you figure it out any issues at the event. I will be stuck in that boat.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I'll add another iron to the fire: I've run into a title issue so Pablo won't be tagged before the SARRC/MARRS in two weeks. This leaves me unable to do my typical drive-around-and-be-sure-it-all-works routine before the race. How do you people go to the track having not put a couple of hours on things after a rebuild or whatever? Talk about anxiety-producing!

K
    [/b]

Bin-go! I saved So much aggrivation back when the car was registered ...little niggling things that can kill a session. And living in the country helped a LOT.

I was worried about being too loud on the first build. So, one Fri nite around 8:30, I set up a video camera, a sound meter at the prescribed height and distance, a light and an unbrella, in my yard along the road, and drove by a few times...full 8000 RPM runs.

Then dashed it back in the garage, and watched the video. yea, it was pretty funny, but it was effective, and I was never over the sound limit.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Kirk, we have a large public high school parking lot iway out in the country that I take the car to occasionally on a Saturday afternoon. You can do a few runs around an impromptu skidpad followed by a few hard brake applications - or I do. I've never had anyone bother me, although I am sure it is illegal in some regard. I suspect if the police did come out, the first time at least they would simply ask me to stop, and I would.

You might try that just to make sure the car runs, stops and turns.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8