Thread: Ride height limitations.

D.8.c. No part of the car, except for the exhaust system and suspension components, shall be lower than the lowest part of the wheel rims.

I read this to mean that chasis rails can not be lower than the lowest part of the wheel rims.

I had not made the connection that this could pose an additional limitation to the 5" ride height rule. I need to go back and measure mine as I could see this occuring while still meeting the 5" ride height rule. I had only checked ride height and made no measurements with regards to this rule previously.

Continually coming to realizations of what the rules mean to my car's preparation.
    Ed.

my read is the frame rails have to be 5". where the rule you cite usually come to play is the splitter
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

You have to be at 5" at the lowest point of the rocker panel, not including the seam. It doesn't matter if your rails are lower than the rockers, as long as they're not lower than the lowest point on the wheel.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

You have to be at 5" at the lowest point of the rocker panel, not including the seam. It doesn't matter if your rails are lower than the rockers, as long as they're not lower than the lowest point on the wheel.
    [/b]
    This is where I am now. I never worried about my rails being lower than 5" as they are not the point of measurement. But until this week I hadn't thought about the rails in relation to the lowest point on the wheel.

The rule I quoted is a blanket for all car components including the rails, just hadn't made the connection.

I have two questions relating to it though.

What if over the course of their life the rails have been crushed up? (Seriously not a modification but a series of contact after contact over 8 years I am not sure any part of my rails are the same height they were originally.)

Ride height is without the driver, lowest point rule is silent, thoughts? My assumption is that the rule has a purpose on track as run (i.e. with driver) so that a cut tire doesn't turn the car into a sled.
    Ed.

This week I was measuring my ride height in preperation for next week and I happen to have a jacking point welded on the frame rails of my car. Is the 5' rule to this jack point or the racker/frame rail?
    Jeremy Billiel

This week I was measuring my ride height in preperation for next week and I happen to have a jacking point welded on the frame rails of my car. Is the 5' rule to this jack point or the racker/frame rail?
    [/b]

The ride height would be measured from the illegal jack point.

The jack point is a seperate issue. 5" would still be measured from the rocker excluding the seam wouldn't it?
    Ed.

The ride height would be measured from the illegal jack point.
    [/b]
    Bill - Perhaps I was misleading. This is the stock jackpoint from the factory. All Honda/Acruas have plates welded to the frame rails to use for jack points
    Jeremy Billiel

Bill - Perhaps I was misleading. This is the stock jackpoint from the factory. All Honda/Acruas have plates welded to the frame rails to use for jack points
    [/b]

That's a different story. In that case, it would be measured from the legal, stock jack point.

That's a different story. In that case, it would be measured from the legal, stock jack point.
    [/b]
    not true

Minimum ride height is five (5) inches, to be measured
    without driver at the lowest point of the rocker panel,
    but not to include welded seams or fasteners.[/b]
    Rocker Panel - The body panel closest to the ground extending along
    either outer side of a car between the wheels.[/b]
    Body Panel - A replaceable section of the body.[/b]
    I don't think the frame rail or the jack point could possibly be considered a body panel.
    ReSpeed
    2006 ARRC IT-7 Champion
    2006 PRO-IT IT-7 Champion

I stand corrected.

But the frame rail and jack point still may not be lower than the lowest point of the wheel.
    Ed.

Do you race on a billiard table? If your at the minimum for frame rails, you may have a tough time getting it on and off the trailer (or jacking it!).

Cheers.

I was wrong as well. the 5" is for the body. everthing else is the bottom of the wheel as mentioned. big advantage in running low profile tires.

dick
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7