Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: V8 Mustang in ITR

I’d like to chime in here on ITR. I started racing 3 years ago. I built a 96 GT up from scratch and started in ITE. I’m getting my butt kicked by Vipers and Vetts but I’m having a ball learning. I for the life of me can’t understand why the SCCA has turned its back on a car as popular as the Mustang with a 4.6 Mod motor. My original intention was to end up in AS but I can't bring myself to back date the car 15 years. I mentioned the 4.6 on the AS site and got booed off the site and told to go run AI in NASA.

If you are thinking about the 4.6 as an option for ITR COUNT ME IN!!! There would also be a ton of other too old for T2 and to young and cheap for AS, modern cars, that would fill the field.

As for brakes, there are several cheap options. I run junkyard Cobra brakes in front and stock rear and braking is GREAT. Also the 99 2 piston smaller disks should work fine too. All can be had off of Ebay for under $300.

Thanks Andy ITE 28

Thanks for the support! Another one!

The 4.6L 96-97 would fit since it is at 225hp, but the later model ones would be over R performance. I seriously think a lot of folks would race the cars, as shown by the support here, but bear in mind it'll be IT rules set all the way - so no Cobra brakes or anything like that. You'll need to make the stockers work with ducting and I think it possible. Pads are free, so figure out how to get larger pads on those things too.

Ron

Call me old school but if this could happen I would look for a 5.0. The 4.6 is a great motor and I would not eliminate it as a choice. Doesn't the 4.6 weigh more than the 5.0?
    James Hunt
    06 ITB Mustang