Thread: Turbo Omni More Help

I have found out that the omni can only run when it is its naturally asperated version but i was woundering

to the people who write GCR if they can let the turbo omni without the turbo, because the naturally

asperated versions are very hard to find i would really like to race this car, even if you could raise the

weight if you think it would hav an advantage
    Abarth for those who dont know
    [jpg]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\MY SHIT\Car Stuff\lancia abarth a112 race car.jpg[/jpg]

watch out ITC im coming with my beetle....in a few years JACK WENNER is my name racing cars is my game

sry for the cheesey part

The problem is that the turbo version has a lot of stuff on it, (brakes, etc) that might be different than the non turbo. The only thing you can do, is to swap everything thats different, (And not allowed to be changed by the GCR, like shocks, and springs and swaybars) fron a non turbo to your turbo tub.....including the VIN, as long as the tubs are exact copies of each other.

yea, that sucks, but the CRB is pretty firm on it. You could of course show up in a turbo tub with non turbo parts and hope nobody notices or cares, but it is not legal, and would hurt the resale value of the car.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

There's always ITE... any series run GLH turbo's that you could prep the car to???
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Hot Chicken aaahhhhh I mean FireHawk series ran the Shelby Charger (Turbo).
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

well im pretty set on running in ita because i want to race my dad, he has a monza spyder, white, you may have seen it and it really sucks that there arent that many left but is there any other car you can talk me into that would be an easy car to find , it doesnt have to have performance parts readlly availible but the saturn SC2 was looking pretty good comments would help
    Abarth for those who dont know
    [jpg]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\MY SHIT\Car Stuff\lancia abarth a112 race car.jpg[/jpg]

watch out ITC im coming with my beetle....in a few years JACK WENNER is my name racing cars is my game

sry for the cheesey part

but the saturn SC2 was looking pretty good comments would help
    [/b]
    My totally biased opinion would be that the Satun would work better than the Omni

There are good points and bad points about running an oddball!!

Although I've only had it on track twice, I'll be able make comments about real race competitiveness in two weeks...........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Several things-

There are PLENTY of non-turbo GLH's out there.

If swapping to make legal, you have several issues-

non-turbos use a different hub setup than turbos
    non-turbo rear drums are 20mm smaller

You need a non-turbo engine. The H.O. motors were decked slightly and of course had the Shelby cam. Wiring was completely different in the engine bay, and of course the computer is way different.

Trans is shorter final drive. Yes, I know they're free, but trust me, you WANT the 3.87 F/D and not the 3.56.

If you do decide to build one, there are a few people around here who know a little about them. That being said, I personally don't think the car will be a front-runner in ITA, even at the limit of prep and development. It's at least got a better chance than the Shelby Charger. You have weight issues, ignition system limitations, and an antiquated suspension and braking system to deal with. Any one of those things is not a big deal, but all together, it makes an uphill battle.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)