Thread: Rules Nerd help needed !!!!

I have self debated a couple of items and am looking for support or otherwise:

Where is it posted that non mandatory tubes in the IT cage can be of a different diameter or tube wall thickness?

Can the third brake light be removed in the back window?

Would glovebox removal ( a glovebox that is inline with where I want to put my dash bar ) be legal ? , what about the lower trim cover under the "dashboard"??

If airbag systems can be removed I would assume that would include any bracketry used to hold or support the airbags inside the dash??

Could my steering column attach to my dash bar?

Thanks for any input........
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

>Where is it posted that non mandatory tubes in the IT cage can be of a different diameter or tube wall thickness?

In 18.1.6.C.

Minimum tubing sizes for (all Showroom Stock, Touring
    and Improved Touring Category auto-mobiles registered
    after June 1, 1994) for all required roll cage elements (All
    dimensions in inches):

Required roll cage elements must be of the specified size, this implies that non-required elements may be some other size, presumably smaller or thinner. Supporting this line of thought, gussets may not be thicker than 1/8", per 18.1.6.D. Presumably, again, if the gusset (which can be a tube) cannot be thicker than 1/8" it could be thinner than 1/8". Surely no one thinks that this means that gussets would then have to measure between .120" and .125", do they?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

***Where is it posted that non mandatory tubes in the IT cage can be of a different diameter or tube wall thickness?***

There is no rule that straight forward spec that you may use smaller than minimum size tubing. You might read GCR 18.1.6.C. Minimum tubing size forall required roll cage elements, to mean you may use smaller than minimum tubing for non mandatory tubes.

***Can the third brake light be removed in the back window?***

I know of no rule that allows the disconnect or removal.

***Would glovebox removal ( a glovebox that is inline with where I want to put my dash bar ) be legal ? , what about the lower trim cover under the "dashboard"??***

17.1.4.D.9.f. will allow you to remove the glove box provided IT is not an intergal part of the Dashboard.

***If airbag systems can be removed I would assume that would include any bracketry used to hold or support the airbags inside the dash??***

If the bracketry bolts or screws, remove the bracketry. If it's welded in place leave it alone.

***Could my steering column attach to my dash bar?***

NO, NO, NO.

Fred, if you don't own a GCR go to www.scca.org/ click on "Club Racing", click on "Cars & Rules", click on "2006 SCCA GCR" & read the rules under 2006 SCCA GCR ITCS. Keep in mind that if there is no rule that says you can do something then you can't do that something.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Fred, if you don't own a GCR go to www.scca.org/ click on "Club Racing", click on "Cars & Rules", click on "2006 SCCA GCR" & read the rules under 2006 SCCA GCR ITCS. Keep in mind that if there is no rule that says you can do something then you can't do that something.
    [/b]

David, when you get to my age all those damn books start to run together ! I have a 2006 GCR and in fact have them all the way back to the early 90's late 80's when they were seperate sections in old notebooks but I was looking to see how different these could be interpreted... seems to me that what I might read as black and white will get 10 different gray replys.... As example and as you stated the roll cage thing is not as clear as I would like but I understand the spirit................... I think
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...