Thread: Is any one racing a E30 318is ?

I think they should take off 200lbs. from the E30 318i/is (M42).

lol I agree!

however... whats your reasoning? We raced last year with the car classed in ITS, and while we got whooped in ITS, if you were to take our times and positions (same run groups obviously) we would end up relatively good in ITA...

So Im not sure where your coming up with this...

However, the only argument I can think of is that the e36 318s are now classed at the same weight, they feature 4 more factory rated horsepower, and have a far superior rear suspension, bigger brakes, and slightly better aero (debatable) these factors would go into the new IT classing equation? lol not that again...

AB, anyone care to touch that with a 3230538254054825724389572435 ft pole?

sigh good times, good times
    #38 ITS BMW
    Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs
    Tim Schreyer

Snowmann, do you racing a E30 318is (M42)?
    The 325e has about 140hp and about 193ftlbs with a chip, and same brakes same suspension same areo....

heres the problem with comparing two things that arent the same though... You can only compare full out built to the rules versions of the cars... you cant do anything less of that because the rules allow for more...

A m20b27 has an EXTREMMELY narrow powerband, (hell stock rev limiter is at 5800? IIRC...) the e cars, while torquey, are MAXED out at around the number you qouted... However there are examples of m42 motors on the street, with the simple bolt on parts in the 140-150 range... now take a maxed out IT legal motor and you might see a car in the 150-160 range... it IS possible with the right tuning and cha ching $$$$

Only time will tell what needs to happen to the e30 318is however as it is its first year in ITA, being classed in ITS since its IT existance... I would think in its current form it is still very competitive
    #38 ITS BMW
    Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs
    Tim Schreyer

However there are examples of m42 motors on the street, with the simple bolt on parts in the 140-150 range... now take a maxed out IT legal motor and you might see a car in the 150-160 range... it IS possible with the right tuning and cha ching $$$$

[/b]
    I dont know if I fully agree with that Sno, I think the M42 cars are going to need 140 at the rear wheels to have a chance vs. Acura, RX7, CRX guys and from my latest research I am not convinced that is possible. You are talking about finding 30 hp if you assume 18% driveline loss. IMHO the e36 318 is the best chassis and brakes combo in ITA but it will need to find hp or loose weight ( not possible on e36 ) to keep up.
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

I'll try and hit all the quetsions:

The E30 325e is 121hp stock. It has HUGE deficiencies for racing but has monster torque. An interesting trade off for sure.

The 91 E30 318is is a cool car. 134hp 1.8l stock. A perfect fit in todays ITA. The E36 may be a better car but the adders aren't meant to micro-manage the cars, they are meant to account for major differences as compared to 'what the class looks like' on the whole...like RWD in ITC or Double Wishbones in ITB or much larger brakes compared to everything or...

I think the E30 318is would be a VERY cool ITA car - and with alomost 130ftlbs of torque - could be fast!

BTW: It is obvious Fred is looking for something interesting and he is going about his selection prcess very methodically and I bet he ends up with something unique - AND fast!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy, I have found my next IT car, I think, but just trying to do the math to make sure I have found it....

The problem I have found with the M42 / M44 powered cars is that BMW did a really good job building / maximizing these engines. The OEM head flows well, the cams are aggressively timed, the header is good and the a/f ratios are pretty good stock. I am sure that a legal c/r bump, legal valve job and a good mapping job will pick up this little motor but I dont see the gains here you might find with B16, B18 Honda or 1.8 Miata stuff. I think this car ( both e30 and 36) is still a good ITA car but will need to make up some lost ground.
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...