Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who can make weight?

Since my name came up in the MR2 discussion . . .

My cage is minimum tubing diameter and thickness, but nowhere near the minimum constructon. It has numerous extra bracing tubes in it (underdash, 8-point including the footwell bars, extra diagonals in the rear hoop, etc.). I have removed everything that I can, legally - and I am running an aluminum cell. My car started out as an '86 sunroof car - which, as modified, weighs about 15# more than a similarly equipped '85 hardtop would. I might be able to lose another 30#, with ultra-light wheels and some other legal mods. As it is (and I weigh the "target" 180#, suited-up) the car scales at 2160#, dry and empty.

A totally minimum-caged '85 hardtop MIGHT get to the GCR weight with a 130# driver. The only problem I have is that, now, people will be tempted to skimp on safety items (better cage, fire system, etc.) in order to make weight. Would I be willing to scrap a 2-year-old, custom built, $1500 cage to drop to ITB at a higher weight? Yes - assuming the weight would still leave the car reasonably competitive (say 2475# or so). I'm not aware of anyone who is legally getting over 110 corrected WHP out of an ITA MR2 (and heaven knows, a lot of $$ has been spent on engine development). The only thing I haven't done is to spend a ton of $$ blueprinting the transaxle. Mid-engine or no, it's still >20:1 weight:HP, and that's hard to overcome in ITA - even with the adds to some others.

Weighed Pablo Nuevo and discovered that all of the little bits of weight that we took out were exactly replaced by the heavy-ass rear bar we put in - he weighs exactly what Pablo I did (2450) but that was with 3/4 tank of fuel, and we used to have to be actually fuel-free to get there. Took off the muffler and exhaust for the 2nd race today, burned off some fuel and was down to 2415. Figure about 2365 empty, with me currently at about 190. Minimum is 2350 so we're in the ballpark.

K

I still have a few more things to do but I'm within 40 pounds.
    Target weight for car: 2100. Car dry weight is 2140.
    Target weight for driver 180 ????? LOL 200 maybe.

We really need to do something about this bantam weight for anorexic midget drivers........

Can we have a separate class for the Healthy Guys with muscle?

MY RX-7 weighed in this weekend at 2366 lbs, with a spec weight of 2280 lbs - and I was 2420 lbs at the last race of last season, so I've made some progress. I'm 180 lbs, but they won't let me drive in the suit I wear at that weight. With Driver's suit and helmet, well ... Anyway, that last 85 lbs is going to be tough, and may induce compromises I'm not willing to take.

That's part of the issue, though. Sure, maybe it is physically and legally possible to meet the minimum spec weight, but at what cost (and I'm not going to cry 'safety&#39. Suspension parts chosen for weight over performance? Short header simply to eliminate weight, at a loss of torque? Minimal cage, eliminate strut bar to cut weight?

Yes, I'm all for 'try smarter', but don't tell me that everybody that buys an Integra has put in more sweat and tears and smarts to be competitive and hit the target weight. There is a level of 'reasonable' to go along with an approachable spec weight. If you want a design competition, go run Formula SAE (or E Prod). If you want to do some competitive club racing, let's keep the required preparation in mind when we specify weights.

That being said - I'm encouraged by the changes, acknowledge that I've been running with parts that are not required by the rules, and having fun trying to work within the new rules.

As an aside:
    Jake F., I'm way away from 135 RWHP, but if you've seen chassis data, I guess it's possible. 125 RWHP for a professionally built RX-7 is more typical, if not the best, IMHO. But I digress.
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

Jake F., I'm way away from 135 RWHP, but if you've seen chassis data, I guess it's possible. 125 RWHP for a professionally built RX-7 is more typical, if not the best, IMHO. But I digress.
    [/b]
    Gotchya. Even still, I'd die to see 125 rwhp. I'm at roughly 90rwhp (and 2420lbs). Like Norm said, no prof built MR2 has seen over 110 rwhp.
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

Hey Jake,

We can both be closer to reaching our goal weights if we switch cars.

-dave, who's 160lbs., and who has gained a reason to keep on snakin'
    8)

Hell's yeah. Wanna trade? I gots lotsa spares.
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com