Thread: Wheels for an E30?

Hey guys, what's the best wheel to run with on an E30? I have some 15x7 Motegi wheels, but they are HEAVY!

I saw some BBS RG-F wheels that look pretty cool and are only 10.8lbs, but Tire Rack is asking $340/each for those suckers.:119: Is there anything out there that weighs about the same for half the price?

Thanks!
    - Pete
    {00=[][]=00}

Hey guys, what's the best wheel to run with on an E30? I have some 15x7 Motegi wheels, but they are HEAVY!

I saw some BBS RG-F wheels that look pretty cool and are only 10.8lbs, but Tire Rack is asking $340/each for those suckers.:119: Is there anything out there that weighs about the same for half the price?

Thanks!
    [/b]
    i ran panasports on my its e30. loved them. team dynamics would also be a great choice, i run them on my itx e36 (not sure about sizing for td's...check with www.bimmerworld.com)

I was just looking through your website last night Pete. Love your tribute to the 70's CSLs in your paint job.

motegi also makes some lightweight wheels that will fit an e30 - check out www.motegiracing.com
    Kosei K1's are 13.8lbs in 15x7 elephantmotorsports.com has them

http://www.wheelweights.net/ is a good site to narrow down your search.

cheers,
    bruce

the team dynamics are your best bang for your buck kind of deal... Bimmerworld sells them for 125 each in 15x7 sizing, and I believe they're 13.7lbs? IIRC...

There are the classic Ronals which look like the OE basketweaves and come in 15x7 sizes, but are typically pricey (used usually in the 400-600 range) and are heavier then the OE weaves, and obviously heavier then the TD's...

The spokey TD's are a really sharp wheel, Wouldn't mind running them on my e30

Oh and btw, I have a set of 17x7.5 Alpina Kopis for sale lol you know for those nasa days...
    #38 ITS BMW
    Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs
    Tim Schreyer

Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I've got some decisions to make here...

I was just looking through your website last night Pete. Love your tribute to the 70's CSLs in your paint job.
    [/b]
    Thanks for the compliment man! I'm glad I didn't know what I was getting into at the time because masking the car off over and over again was a huge PITA. I really need to get that site updated...

motegi also makes some lightweight wheels that will fit an e30 - check out www.motegiracing.com
    Kosei K1's are 13.8lbs in 15x7 elephantmotorsports.com has them
    [/b]
    I tried to find some wheels on the Motegi site, but the choices were minimal. The "Wheel Match" part of the site was pretty cool though. I liked the Elephant site... it was reassuring that the home page was filled with BMW club racing stuff! The Kosei wheels seem to be a popular choice, I'll have to look into those a little more.

the team dynamics are your best bang for your buck kind of deal... Bimmerworld sells them for 125 each in 15x7 sizing, and I believe they're 13.7lbs? IIRC...[/b]
    The TD Pro Race 1 wheels look pretty good for the price and weight!

Oh and btw, I have a set of 17x7.5 Alpina Kopis for sale lol you know for those nasa days...[/b]
    I'd like to run in some NASA events just to see what it's like in other clubs, but I'm in St. Louis and from what I know of them, they pretty much only run on the coasts... Are you allowed to run any size wheel with those guys? I stuck at 15x7 with the SCCA and that's pretty new. Last year I had to run 14s.
    - Pete
    {00=[][]=00}

Hey Pete... NASA Midwest (and OH/IN) runs at Blackhawk, Autobahn, Road America, Putnam, Mid-Ohio, and BeaveRun.

I'd like to run in some NASA events just to see what it's like in other clubs, but I'm in St. Louis and from what I know of them, they pretty much only run on the coasts... Are you allowed to run any size wheel with those guys? I stuck at 15x7 with the SCCA and that's pretty new. Last year I had to run 14s.
    [/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

for NASA Spec E30, you have to have either 14x6 or 15x7 with a min weight of 13lbs (trying to stop people from buying ultra exotic wheels).
    NASA GTS Challenge is wide open.
    They have a new Performance Touring series now that could be interesting.

re motegiracing.com - their "App Guide" only shows MR7 in 14x6 or Traklite in 15x7, but if you look at the individual wheels in the "Wheels" section, you will find other 15x7, 4x100 wheels (e.g. Traklite 2, LC5 Teflon (interesting)). There are some 15x6.5 also but I'm not interested in those due to Spec E30 requirements. I wish they came in a 20 to 25mm offset so I wouldn't need spacers though.
    cheers,
    bruce

[/b]

Hey Pete... NASA Midwest (and OH/IN) runs at Blackhawk, Autobahn, Road America, Putnam, Mid-Ohio, and BeaveRun.[/b]
    Yeah, Blackhawk, Autobahn and Putnam would be fun. I didn't realize that they got that close. The last time I looked into it, was a year or two ago and I didn't see anything that close in the schedual. Is there a local chapter now?

for NASA Spec E30, you have to have either 14x6 or 15x7 with a min weight of 13lbs (trying to stop people from buying ultra exotic wheels).
    NASA GTS Challenge is wide open.
    They have a new Performance Touring series now that could be interesting.[/b]
    Hmmm, a 13lb minimum weight. Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind when looking!
    - Pete
    {00=[][]=00}