Thread: Radiator repairs & protection

So, I just did something really stupid while rushing to put the new radiator in today! Now that I have two nice holes from hitting the power steering bolts, how should I go about fixing it? Last year at the track, we used some JB Weld to complete the repair, which worked very well. I later decided to replace it for peace of mind. Before I use that technique again, would it be much better to have someone weld it? Any idea what that method would cost to complete? And should I be looking for some type of business that specializes in this type of repair or anyone who welds well (with the right type of welding for this repair)?

Once I get it repaired and carefully install it (Grrrrr!), do many of you do anything to prevent damage to your radiator from normal track damages (such as rocks hitting it)? I was thinking about using some wirecloth such as the type used for windows to help protect it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Take the radiator to a radiator shop and have them repair it for you should cost under $75, then go to Home Depot and buy some 1/4 wire mesh screen and mount it a few inches away from the front of the radiator when it is installed.
    Ron Carroll
    REC Motorsports Inc.
    Honda and Acura race car prep and fabrication.
    #52 ITA H4 92 Integra(2nd place NASA National Championships 2006)
    #52 ITA H4 92 RS Integra (new car)
    TRI-POINT SWC Car chief #72

Put as much distance between the 1/4" mesh and the radiator as possible. my installation allowed about 4 inches. it is amazing how much abuse the screen is subjected to.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Take some ducktape tape it up, qualify right behind me and my brother and go have fun!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Take the radiator to a radiator shop and have them repair it for you should cost under $75, then go to Home Depot and buy some 1/4 wire mesh screen and mount it a few inches away from the front of the radiator when it is installed.
    [/b]

Put as much distance between the 1/4" mesh and the radiator as possible. my installation allowed about 4 inches. it is amazing how much abuse the screen is subjected to.
    [/b]
    Good advice! I have an allergy to putting stuff in my radiator other than H2O and antifreeze. All that stuff flowing around like cholesterol in my arteries...yuk! A radiator shop will cost minimal compared to the piece of mind.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Ray, behind you guys? I'm really looking forward to the June LRP event!!! Should be a blast.

Alright, so forget the JB Weld stuff. If a radiator shop does it, do shops typically do a good enough job repairing it that I won't have to worry about leaks? I was begining to wonder if I should just suck it up and buy a new one. I really don't want to, but at the same time I don't want to tow the car far away and not be able to race.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Buy yourself a new one; have the broken one repaired--if worth it--for use as a spare.

A shop will normally pressure test a repair, so leakage is not the issue. The issue is whether the repair would cause any loss in cooling efficiency for the unit--a consideration if your cooling is marginal.

I damaged my 2 core rad a couple years back and had a radiator shop pinch the tubes off to repair this- probably brazed/welded them shut also but it worked like a champ. This is on an 85 CRX with a full width rad and a second core- definitely check out how much less cooling this will provide to see if the car will run hot.

I do also have the stainless steel mesh in front of the rad in the bumper cover to keep the big chunks out.