Thread: Forward of the aft opening

From April Fasttrack
    Item 1. Effective 1/1/07: change section 17.1.4.D.9.l to read as follows:
    Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any footwell angle, and
    forward of the aft-edge of the forward-most passenger-door opening, unless otherwise specified on the vehicles IT specification line

This is the new Ballast rule for '07 and I would like to make sure that I am reading it right. My car is a 2 door. I would like to make sure that I am reading it right,
    - Ballast has to be in the footwell/seating area - Thats Clear
    - aft of the firewall and any footwell angle - That means towards the rear from the firewall
    - forward of the aft-edge - This means in front of the back edge
    - of the forward-most passenger-door opening - For a two door car this means the passenger door opening, For a four door car, it means the passenger side front door.

1) Am I correct to read this as saying for a two door car, that balast shall be mounted in the passenger footwell/seating area anywhere aft of the firewall but forward the of the aft (Back) edge of the door opening?

2 ) As such, if I mounted ballast in the passenger seating area so that it was forward of any point of the back edge of the door opening (for example where the seat used to sit) that would be consistent with the rule?

3) If I followed this prescription for 2006, is it consistant with the present rule?

PS, I write rules for a living so I know hard rules interpretation is.

thanks
    Bob Roth

Bob,

Your interpretation is consistent w/ the way I read the rule.

Bob you are right on the money...except i am confused on #3. My understanding is that the new location (Up to the door opening) does not take effect until 07. Grrrrr.

So for 06 it's back of the angle and in front of the seat.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Funny enough, as they where corner weighting my car they tested all the legal locations in the footwell to place my ballast. Turned out that inside near the hump they couldnt get within 1% of corner weight, but snug to the passanger door they where able to get a 51/49 weighting. So thats where we mounted the weight.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires