Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is it IRP time yet?

Kevin, just think what Greg A. will have up his sleeve this year with his built car.[/b]
    Believe me, in a straight line, he was pleanty "built" in that department last year. I know he's throwing a lot of suspension at the car this year and if he gets it to handle anywhere close to my car, we're all in big, big trouble. I'm still going to try my best though to act like this guy in November --->

They are damn stout little motors![/b]
    Well, they are freaking truck engines, after all.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Great weekend and good running with everyone! Looking forward to Grattan at the end of the month. If I can figure out this qualifying thing, it should be a good time. But starting way back is fun too! And nothing gets you motivated like seeing coming from the car you're trying to pass... :P
    Matt Downing
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe - ITA
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

Great weekend and good running with everyone! Looking forward to Grattan at the end of the month. If I can figure out this qualifying thing, it should be a good time. But starting way back is fun too! And nothing gets you motivated like seeing coming from the car you're trying to pass... :P
    [/b]
    Oh, you are just not going to get over that are you!!! :P
    I'm so glad I did that!
    Now it's a tradition. Expect more. Here's one to tide you over:

Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Results as well as LOTS of pic now available at www.indyscca.org
    (Great one of Ian sideways thru T4)

Can we have a contest to see who's car leans more on it's crappy suspension?

Sweet. I should post the video of the slide.
    Ian

Caught the end of it and the giant dust/debris cloud on the in-car video. Once I get my PC set back up at home (moving in to a new house right now) I'll post it up for you to see. Ian Linn called me from Florida last night to lament the passing of the car.[/b]

Steve,
    When you get the video on your computer please send me a link , Thanks
    Michael Flock

Can we have a contest to see who's car leans more on it's crappy suspension?

[/b]
    Ok, I have to say that I really did physically "laugh out loud" to that!

Also, Steve, it's ok, I've finger waived people before too.

I'll go over and check out the rest of the pics now...
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

That's awesome! Ian Green, future Japanese dorifto star!
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Ok, I have to say that I really did physically "laugh out loud" to that!

Also, Steve, it's ok, I've finger waived people before too.

I'll go over and check out the rest of the pics now...
    [/b]
    No, No, No... We were just running the 'rain' setup! Our cars are just big boned! It was a bad camera angle! :P
    Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

No, No, No... We were just running the 'rain' setup! Our cars are just big boned! It was a bad camera angle! :P
    [/b]
    I think I can see you lighting up a smoke thru the windshield.
    Must be hard for you to not drop your lighter at the apex...
    :P

Steve,
    When you get the video on your computer please send me a link , Thanks
    [/b]
    Try this:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84428034862071

[/b]
    Matt, here's a video that you probably wish did not exist.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31869252388451
    "Where's the apex?"

And the wag...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96909284068108

Yea - nice video! That guy in the Civic needs to go back to drivers school!!!!! Nice line into T1!

Looking forward to Mid-Ohio and you can be sure that if I'm in front of you (at any point), you will be getting the right back at ya! Either way, I'll have a for you guys on Friday night - come and find me in the grass!
    Matt Downing
    Ohio Valley Region, SCCA

I don't know about you guys but this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09103179396784

is the most blantant violation of start protocal that I have ever seen on the yellow TR8.

Come on Andy, it's bad enough you can blow everyone away on only horsepower but making a third lane
    before the start is a bit much don't you think

Makes it a lot easier to get to the front of the field at the drop of the green flag doesn't it?

paul, I talked to the steward about the start. The reason I moved over was because I thought I might be loosing a clutch. I was concerned that at the start if I went to shift up a gear and loose my clutch people would run into the back of me. I would rather take the chance of being blacked flag or seeing the steward than causing a accident at the start. I was also right about the clutch. I lost it in turn 2 and could only run in 4th and 5th. As I also explained to the steward, when I moved over I did not move up to pass but help my position to until the green. I had also expressed my concerns to some other racers prior to start. The steward agreed that it was acceptable do to the fact of mechanical problem. However, I must admit he did not check with you. Also you mentioned that it is only becaue of horsepower that a can beat people. Well, it is actualy torque. Many ITS cars have more horspower. If thats the only reason I beat you, with only 4th and 5th gear and no clutch might I add, than maybe you should switch cars. However, would have to point out the the winning car is the same as yours, and if I were you, I would be asking why I was 6 seconds behind him

However, would have to point out the the winning car is the same as yours, and if I were you, I would be asking why I was 6 seconds behind him
    [/b]

Trust me Andy, I ask myself that everytime I get in the car. I have found that guys with unlimited budgets
    and 30 years racing experience (Tim Selby) go a long way to making for better track position and lower lap times. My three years have got me this far but I know that I have a long way to go. Every race is a learning experience for me.

Your mechanical problems aside (which I didn't know about), the video poses a negative point of view. Your second place finish didn't seem to be hindered by your clutch issue. Go figure.

I was obviously misguided in my perception on the video. I guess I will have a pint of STFU and concentrate on my driving from now on. Cheers

<_<
    Paul D'Angelo

I knew about Andy&#39;s car issues before the race (I mean come on, it&#39;s British! :P ). I don&#39;t have a problem with the way he started, in light of the problems with the car. He didn&#39;t jump the start or anything, yet still even flew by my ass into turn 1 - at least it sounds good when it does. It&#39;s got a Ford V-8 in it so it&#39;s straight line speed shouldn&#39;t be a surprise to anyone. Also remember that the Doyle&#39;s have been racing TR8&#39;s for yeeeeears. But, the only reason it was ever even classed in ITS with that huge engine and torque is because everyone and their brother knows that no one will ever make one handle or brake.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("paulydee")</div>
    I guess I will have a pint of STFU and concentrate on my driving from now on.[/b]
    If I ever write a book on how to make a racecar faster, "Shut up and drive!" will be Chapter 1. Recognizing the differences from one car versus another, one driver versus another, is all part of the game. Pauly, remember what I said, and race accordingly.
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Paul, I did have mechanical problems, the clutch slave is some where out on the track still. I was please to still get a 2nd only using 4th and 5th. The clutch was a legit problem, thus the reason I had to be towed to impound from the pit lane. Did I know I was running a risk of being called out by the steward for moving over, yes. I would rather have that, than a mess at the start. IRP has such a wide straight, I felt that if I had to I could pull over out of the way at start. Had I been on the otherside at the start were it is tighter at the start, I probably would have pulled over on the pace lap and started at the back.

I race one (a TR8). Cars handle just fine. Braking is an issue. Buick/Rover V8 by the way, with LESS stock hp than an SR20 (135). Andy is right, the torque is the car&#39;s advantage.

I can pull most anyone from corner exit to the about 1500 ft. If the straight is longer than that, the hp and aero advantage the BMWs and the RX7s have take over. Andy can tell you the same thing I am sure.

There is NOTHING like a full prep (Bimmerworld, Sunbelt) 325is motor. NOTHING. Those cars pull me 10-15 car lengths OR MORE on the long straights at VIR.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

And I am also going to say after watching that video several times, that it looks to me Andy did nothing wrong. He didn&#39;t hit the gas until the green -- passing that many cars at the start is possible due to torque. If he was off line like that for a reason, I would think that it&#39;s ok so long as there was no start jumping and it sure did not look like there was to me.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8