Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any e36 318's being built for ITA???

whoa, I wouldnt go as far to say a 318ti is the same w/ different body panels, the ti's are essentially e30s with 5 lug... They have the same rear trailing arm components which are nothing like those of the e36 models... [/b]
    No I ruled out the 318ti for same reasons, it has a e36 front suspension but a rear e30 style and very short overhang in the rear.

The e36 318is uses the same tubular header as the Z3 ( or very similar in appearance )

Any website for EAT ??
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

No I ruled out the 318ti for same reasons, it has a e36 front suspension but a rear e30 style and very short overhang in the rear.
    The e36 318is uses the same tubular header as the Z3 ( or very similar in appearance )
    Any website for EAT ??
    [/b]

That's exactly what I meant. The Z3 has an e30 rear suspension set-up. Which is much less desirable than the e36 trailing arm set-up.

Fred, there is currently a 318 ti race car for sale on ebay for 11,500. It has a nice cage. Maybe it'll get you motivated!

I've said if I ball up the Z3 I'll be looking for a 95 (OBD 1) 318 is.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Any website for EAT ??
    [/b]
    That's right, not all e-36's used multi-link on the rear, the 318ti and Z3 both use trailing arms. Another advantage for the 318i is the longer wheel base, 105 inches if I recall correctly. Around here the tracks are high speed with no really slow speed corners.

Neither the M42 nor the M44 have a vanos system, the M44 does have a multi-length intake manifold that you can't take apart and port match in the middle. Best thing you can do is add a motec type system and remove the traction control butterfly between the MAF and the throttle body. Has anyone figured out a way to zero lash the lifters? or given the red line they probably already have a piddle valve. Also I doubt there's a stock piston larger than 0.01 over, most that I've seen are the Max-sil coated one that I doubt are legel. Swirl pollish the valve with new valve springs. I'd install a baffel kit in the oil pan and run an accusump too. Still I doubt any major gain in hp or torque will be found. You can get lots of really good suspension components. Come to think of it Korman built an M-44 for somone in Latin America. Also you'd want toget the proper rear ratio depending on you max trap speed, I'd go with something as high as 3.96 or 4.12, otherwise you'll probably never use 5th gear.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

James, I was thinking of a factory 3:91 limited slip to start with and thinking the low tq # and relative wide tire allowed would limit wheelspin. I also think accusump might be needed but would start with a baffle, I guess that will need to be a home brew pan as I have not seen any.

Question for Andy B. what are the chances we would get the 96-97 cars on the same line, specs are almost identical but the 96-97 318's use the M44 1.9 ???? Also I remember the sport pkg cars having 16" wheels and being almost more common than the 15" wheel cars, would the CRB consider 16" wheels for the e36 318i / is cars?? I also notice the 95 cars not listed but they should be listed with the 92-94 cars, same line.
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

We had a 4.10, now in to a 4.27, that is at BH farms however, which is relatively short...

5th gear on the e36 trans I believe is 1:1... however in our e30 its overdrive... the e36 box has tighter gears IIRC

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdsylva/products.htm

like I said kind of a do-it-yourselfer, but in the e30 community he is highly praised and his stuff has been checked by end-users proving his advertised results...

Hes definatly slow on the email respones almost to the point where you would think the whole thing is a sham... but I think he does this as a side job...

The e36 and e30 front suspensions are so similar that many people swap in the e36 front struts and CA's to go to 5 lug... so thats pretty much standard between the two cars... but I believe the e36 CA's in the e30 location create a caster heavy car... many people run different CAB's to combat that...

Back to my previous question, can the extrude hone process improve a tubular style header? I know the basic process but never got real knowledgable on the issue... I wouldn't think that a improvement could be made in comparison to like a cast part that is extremmely porous..

also gt-technic sells a dry sump but cant remember if thats IT legal either...

http://www.gttechnic.com/catalog.html
    #38 ITS BMW
    Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs
    Tim Schreyer

Sno

I think extrude hone on a tube header will be less benefit than a cast unit, but coating would be a big help. I am researching OEM headers now to determine if any difference in e30 or e36 or Z3...
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

The ETK shows that up to 96 all cars used one style of header, then after they used another style, might have to something with OBDII conversion...

The only difference I can see via the ETK is that the check ports on the old style are on each primary right off the head, the 96 and newer model has 1 or 2 check ports by the collector area...
    #38 ITS BMW
    Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs
    Tim Schreyer

I have got my junkyard guy looking for several different headers ( e30, Z3, late e36 ) to compare.
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Fred,
    If you are looking to purchase a Z3 header I have two of them in great shape (one 12K mi the other 30K mi). Just so you know.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

Rob,

turns out the e30 / e36 / z3 headers are all about the same, different when OBD II kicks in but does not appear there is any design differences, just part#'s. On a funny note eBay has a header for m42 / m44 cars for $199.00 does not say but I bet atleast 20 hp to be had with one of those babies
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Rob,

turns out the e30 / e36 / z3 headers are all about the same, different when OBD II kicks in but does not appear there is any design differences, just part#'s. On a funny note eBay has a header for m42 / m44 cars for $199.00 does not say but I bet atleast 20 hp to be had with one of those babies
    [/b]

Nice try Fred it's more like 50hp....... :P

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

Whats even more funny is that I would be inclined to buy one ( eBay header ) at $199 just for kicks on a dyno day !!!
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Whats even more funny is that I would be inclined to buy one ( eBay header ) at $199 just for kicks on a dyno day !!!
    [/b]

I've thought of that but I need the 200 for so many other things right now. But it is interesting.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

I could find this info, but it is easier to post and ask. Someone mentioned 2600 lbs. Did the weight change from the 2840 the GCR shows? If so, hmmmm.......

Backformore, it sure did change with the "great IT realignment of 06" I think you can find the actual change in Fastrack Feb addendum at: http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/06-2...ck-addendum.pdf

Problem is with anything other than the magical 180 lbs driver I am not sure you can get all the way down to that but I may be wrong.....
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Well, I'm a magical 200 lb driver, so maybe I'd be able to come close. As much as anything, at 2840 lbs, the car was going to be hell on tires, brakes, etc.

Like I said, hmmm....

Backformore, I said Hmm.. too! I think this would be a good car with class leading brakes and as good of a chassis as any but still have some concerns in the engine department. I still think, when developed, the Miata 1.8 is going to be the car to have, at 220 less pounds and only 10 less hp stock ( but tons of development out there via the spec guys )... The e36 318 could be ( rules wise ) a few lbs less but I dont think you can actually get one down that far.... ANY BODY BUILDING A e36 318 KEEP US POSTED !
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

I like the possibility of the 318 as a daily driver to be converted to a track car/license keeper/ and eventually maybe full blown ITA competitor. I could put a cage and safety equipment in one and still be able to fit in it comfortably to drive to work. It would be a reasonable replacement for my 93 Accord which I love, but has no real competiton potential.

If I was building an A-kicking A car, it might not be what I'd choose. It does seem to have potential. I agree that looking at base, stock numbers, the engine seems to be where the question mark is. It would be interesting to know how much power the BMW experts think could be extracted from that power plant.

I like the possibility of the 318 as a daily driver to be converted to a track car/license keeper/ and eventually maybe full blown ITA competitor. I could put a cage and safety equipment in one and still be able to fit in it comfortably to drive to work. It would be a reasonable replacement for my 93 Accord which I love, but has no real competiton potential.

If I was building an A-kicking A car, it might not be what I'd choose. It does seem to have potential. I agree that looking at base, stock numbers, the engine seems to be where the question mark is. It would be interesting to know how much power the BMW experts think could be extracted from that power plant.
    [/b]

It would be really great to find a BMW "expert" who knows much about the m44 or m42 for that matter. It is a motor everyone seems to glance over. The development of the motor for us has switched from trying toextract gobs of power to documenting that the motor doesn't have the potential gains thought it did in IT trim. It isn't fun spending $$$ and not finding gains.

I agree with Fred about the 1.8 Miata. I think it will be THE car to have and as it is classed relative to the e36/37 m44. For some reason the "classing Gods" have shined down favorably on the Zoom-Zoom!!
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

For some reason the "classing Gods" have shined down favorably on the Zoom-Zoom!!
    [/b]
    Did anybody really expect anything less??? It is, afterall, a Mazda !
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...