No I ruled out the 318ti for same reasons, it has a e36 front suspension but a rear e30 style and very short overhang in the rear.
The e36 318is uses the same tubular header as the Z3 ( or very similar in appearance )
Any website for EAT ??
[/b]
That's right, not all e-36's used multi-link on the rear, the 318ti and Z3 both use trailing arms. Another advantage for the 318i is the longer wheel base, 105 inches if I recall correctly. Around here the tracks are high speed with no really slow speed corners.

Neither the M42 nor the M44 have a vanos system, the M44 does have a multi-length intake manifold that you can't take apart and port match in the middle. Best thing you can do is add a motec type system and remove the traction control butterfly between the MAF and the throttle body. Has anyone figured out a way to zero lash the lifters? or given the red line they probably already have a piddle valve. Also I doubt there's a stock piston larger than 0.01 over, most that I've seen are the Max-sil coated one that I doubt are legel. Swirl pollish the valve with new valve springs. I'd install a baffel kit in the oil pan and run an accusump too. Still I doubt any major gain in hp or torque will be found. You can get lots of really good suspension components. Come to think of it Korman built an M-44 for somone in Latin America. Also you'd want toget the proper rear ratio depending on you max trap speed, I'd go with something as high as 3.96 or 4.12, otherwise you'll probably never use 5th gear.

James