Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any e36 318's being built for ITA???

So, just over $1k, that's a good price. All the 318's out here are at least 2.5k, with most of them closer to 5k. Did you see the grassroots article on their 318is buildup? I realize that theirs is an e-30, but its got the same engine. Might be worth keeping an eye on, but sounds like their next step is to install a DASC It seems this engine gets no respect when it's naturally asperated.
    [/b]
    In all fairness I bought it at auction with a blown head gasket for $900 plus auction fees but I have seen several running examples with high miles for around $2k... This car ( most e36 318s ) was less than most of the Acura 94-94 Integra donors I found

This is a pic after it hit the shop ( six hours later )

Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

nice!!! but the question remains...will it be ready for the ARRC??!!!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Evan, that is the goal.......... Lofty goal but we are going to try! You HondAcura guys and Andy and the Miata guys need some lap traffic
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Fred, excellent. Always wondered how one of those would do in A.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I think you can do it! My integras second race was the ARRC 2004...no rear swaybar and no development...just bolt on parts and rush to RA...I was 12th out of 21 or so ITA cars there...also the more time you have at RA the better! I will try to be there for June and July races. Good luck and hope to see ya at the races with the new car!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Fred- did you ever get this car built ? I ran across a good deal on an e36 318 the other day, started thinking about this thread from spring.

Curious how it turned out !

Thks- Steve
    Steve Strickland
    2006 Mazda MX5- T4/ ITS
    1990 Honda Civic ITB
    2000 Mazda Protege ITB
    SARRC Comm Chair
    ITAC

We have ran into several road blocks with the e36 ITA project: 1) can't make it down to min weight 2) Can't find much more hp. 3) they approved ITR and the sheetmetal bits on our e36 would fix the old ITS 325. 4) BMWCCA has started Spec E36 and I have a commitment their. 5) I want to build a 2001 Mustang GT for T3 6) We ( in N.C. ) now have the powerball but the numbers keep eluding me

It is kinda on the back burner right now
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

Ah, racing goes that way sometimes. Better alternatives for limited cash resources.

Thanks for the update !

Steve
    Steve Strickland
    2006 Mazda MX5- T4/ ITS
    1990 Honda Civic ITB
    2000 Mazda Protege ITB
    SARRC Comm Chair
    ITAC

We have ran into several road blocks with the e36 ITA project: 1) can't make it down to min weight 2) Can't find much more hp. 3) they approved ITR and the sheetmetal bits on our e36 would fix the old ITS 325. 4) BMWCCA has started Spec E36 and I have a commitment their. 5) I want to build a 2001 Mustang GT for T3 6) We ( in N.C. ) now have the powerball but the numbers keep eluding me

It is kinda on the back burner right now
    [/b]
    You know Fred, I don't think that BMW club has a VIN requirement, even for the stock class. I suspose you could transplant the DT from a 328 into the 318 chassis for your SE-36. It's a shame 'cause I think the e-36 318 has the best chance of all the ITA BMW's of being competitive in ITA. I guess the M-44 just doesn't have anymore hp to give in IT trim.

James

On edit:
    I just had a look at the rules for SE-36, looks like engine swaps are out. Usually their pretty liberal in that reguard, I guess not in this case...
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I have always thought this car might be a good car...

The minimum weight is difficult, I am 218lbs right now, and that sucks ass... I was 195 3 years ago...

The engine is a dog... there, I said it... But, I know guys in England who made some pretty outragious claims on Horse Power with just ECU modifications... Of course we know the car/chassis can out-handle just about anything in ITA (forget the small tracks+CRX's), in Cali I suspect our wide open tracks are conducive to this cars' competetive potential.

What's nice is that in Cali people think that the 1.9 cars are POS, so they can be had for a song. I would go for an earlier model due to OBD1, but somehow you all have me wondering on that...

BTW - not so fast on damning the e30 rear end... It may not be as nice as the e36, but, just crack open an e30 catalogue and you'll see go-faster parts for that cars' rear-end too.

but the sedan is just too tempting.

I'm going to look at this seriously.
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/

Good luck K,

As Greg Amy has proved, most any car has a chance given enough blood, sweat and cash but the engine has proved to be a real stumbling block on this car not to mention that the weight will be difficult at best to achieve. I had a well known "pro" engine builder tell me that he saw little gains in the M42 engine within the IT rules set. You are right in that handling and brakes would be king in ITA but that will not help if you loose 10 car lengths every straight..
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

I really hope there are ITAC members lurking on this forum. I've been saying this about the m42/m44 for months.

BUT, we'll be throwing money into it this winter with a full motor build. At that point the dyno sheets will speak for themselves. It stinks having to spend so much to prove the % increase estimate was wrong. I like the e36 318 it's a better car than the Z3 (better rear suspension, vented front brakes, better aero). If I ball up the Z3 that's where I'll be heading.

on re-read maybe it's time for another CRB letter.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Good luck to you too, Doc! problem is even with dyno sheets in hand there is no more weight to remove from the e36 cars, I dont know about the Z3 variants but e36 coupe / sedan is done, weight wise... and it is way too much car to down another class.
    Fred Alphin
    Damn economy...

I guess you can say I've been lurking for awhile off and on here... I've been autoxing my 95 318i for the past few years with my ultimate goal being ITA with either another M42 318 or Z3 1.9 within 2-5 years. I have college loans to finish paying off and lots of track days ahead before I commit to building a racecar.

I might experiment with a few bolt on power-adders next year now that I've done 3+ seasons on the bone stock M42. I hope to get out to Summit Point and VIR more next year.