Thread: ITS Del Sol VTEC, Please contact me

Does anybody know anybody who drives a Del Sol VTEC in ITS? In consideration of our recent 220 pound weight increase, I would like to contact other Del Sol owners to understand what their cars actually weigh and what their actual racing results were.

Also, if anybody has does or dont's on who to contact or how to appeal competition adjustments, please advise. I can be contacted at [email protected]

thanks
    Bob Roth

Be careful what you wish for!

How would like to take 220 pounds off, and buy a 29mm restrictor for your engine?

"RX3SP" , I.T competitor, 1986-2005, thanks itac!

Does anybody know anybody who drives a Del Sol VTEC in ITS? In consideration of our recent 220 pound weight increase, I would like to contact other Del Sol owners to understand what their cars actually weigh and what their actual racing results were.

Also, if anybody has does or dont's on who to contact or how to appeal competition adjustments, please advise. I can be contacted at [email protected]

thanks
    Bob Roth

[/b]
    FYI:

The Civic and Del Sol with the 160hp engines were somehow overlooked in the 'correction' process that was announced in the Feb Fast Track addundum. This was not a 'competition adjustment', it was the same thing that happened to all cars - it was run through the process and determined to be drastically out of whack and subsiquently corrected.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I bought it last thanksgiving so I don't know what weight the car will end up at. Based upon the previous owners, dry and a light driver was mid 2400. Given my 50 year old mass, I wouldn't have a problem at 2480.

I absolutely concur on the no torque comment though. I would be surprised if it at 5000 rpm has more torque than a 1600 cc CRX. Torque wins races, (or more acurately the area under the HP curve wins) not the HP peak at redline.

The worst distortion with this rule is the 83 to 88 2V 944 Its 2.5 Liter, has 56% more displacement than mine and probably 50% more torque when he shifts. Under the old rules it weighed 2715 and under the new rules it weighs 2575 (5 pounds lighter than the new Del Sol weight). Plus it has far bigger brakes, rear drive, 50/50 weight balance, and can probably run 245 tires.

If anybody is on the committee is reading this, what I want to say is I didn't ever expect this car to win against good ITS fields. I just wanted something new, interesting and Honda. What I object to is having to run probably 75 pounds ballast while giving up 50% torque to every time I shift.

It would do a lot of good for the committee to publish a couple things or the cars in the class.

1) Representative weights without balast
    2) representative HP curve for the engine types with area under the curve for expected operating range. (They are out there)
    3) Maximum tire cross section (Mine is 225)
    4) Its relative finish vs other cars in the class (its an easy exercise if you havew the results)

Again, my objective is not to change how ITCC does their weight adjustments . All I am saying is that although the VTEC Del Sol and Civic Si might be a good cars against the Nissan 240s or Nissan NX2000 in ITA, its a no brainer that they don't have the stones to win in ITS. I bought the car knowing that it can't run with RX7's, and BMW's. I accept that it won't, I just object to having to look at 75 to 100 pounds balast while doing it .

thanks for letting me spew.

Bob Roth
    Honda double wishbone racing since 1991

PS this is a great forum and way to talk this through

A 2580# 1.6L Del Sol in ITS. Now that is funny.

Just when I was starting to convince myself the formula which gave the GSR 2690# is not flawed, this comes out. There is no way "the process™" is not way off base when it comes to VTEC cars in ITS.

Perhaps some1 might want to look outside what "the process™" gives for these cars and apply some sanity.

The one way these numbers could make sense is if a class above ITS is just around the corner and the 1/2 of the cars in S now will be moved there.

Still, running that much weight in these cars is no fun for tires, breaks, etc, not to mention the danger of all that lead in case of a big wreck. Whenever I strap into my GSR since getting it up to ITS weight, I just don't feel good with all that lead on the floorboard. Legal or not, I will fabricase some kind of "cage" ala World Challenge to hold all that. I am not going to die doing this just becase some "process" spits out a big number for these cars.

Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX