Thread: Del Sol VTEC - Please Contact me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It does seem like we should have some extra + or - for width of torque curve and power band. When one car is within 10% of peak power for 4000rpm and another has problems holding it for 1500 it makes a big difference. When I ran against the preludes they are good for about half the race and then the tires are toast. The GSR is pretty equal until it comes to the slow corners but still a real contender with some more work on final drive ratios. The Del Sol is DOA.
    [/b]
    And this from an RX7 Pilot.
    Hmmmm....

Seriously, I know me some Honda, and if you came to me and said "Scott, fix the Honda ITS Classifications" I'd do the following...

-Take 40lbs out of the VTEC Prelude (They have tq and brakes, but struggle to finish even a sprint well because they are so front heavy and brutally kill tires).
    -Take 90lbs out of the GSR (FWD, No TQ, and seriously shitty brakes for a FWD car that heavy).

There. In about 45 seconds I just added 2 competitive cars to the ITS mix. Cars that people will build, race, and compete with the BMWs and RX7s with. And trust me, I didn't just make any of them an overdog by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd then take the 1.6 liter cars back to about 2450lbs. I still wouldn't build one myself, but at least there'd be some hope if it was raining or something.

Then I'd class the Integra Type R at 2775lbs. Its got good top end power, great gearing and very good brakes, but that power is very peaky and it still has no TQ. It would do alot of things well, but that 130wtq would ba a major handicap lugging 2775 lbs off a corner.
    There, I just added another good ITS car.

See how easy this is?
    :P
    [email protected]
    #22 ITB Civic DX

And this from an RX7 Pilot.
    Hmmmm....

Seriously, I know me some Honda, and if you came to me and said "Scott, fix the Honda ITS Classifications" I'd do the following...

-Take 40lbs out of the VTEC Prelude (They have tq and brakes, but struggle to finish even a sprint well because they are so front heavy and brutally kill tires).
    -Take 90lbs out of the GSR (FWD, No TQ, and seriously shitty brakes for a FWD car that heavy).

There. In about 45 seconds I just added 2 competitive cars to the ITS mix. Cars that people will build, race, and compete with the BMWs and RX7s with. And trust me, I didn't just make any of them an overdog by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd then take the 1.6 liter cars back to about 2450lbs. I still wouldn't build one myself, but at least there'd be some hope if it was raining or something.

Then I'd class the Integra Type R at 2775lbs. Its got good top end power, great gearing and very good brakes, but that power is very peaky and it still has no TQ. It would do alot of things well, but that 130wtq would ba a major handicap lugging 2775 lbs off a corner.
    There, I just added another good ITS car.

See how easy this is?
    :P
    [/b]
    You would be pretty close but the GSR should be OK at it's current weight. I tested at 2780 expecting the RX7 to get some weight this year and it was not near the problem I expected. Killed corner exit for any third gear corner and top speed was down. We get about 130 torque on a good day so they are pretty equal and our power is just as peaky. I run 4 seperate rear gear setups for the tracks we run in the southeast just to stay competitive.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Then I'd class the Integra Type R at 2775lbs. Its got good top end power, great gearing and very good brakes, but that power is very peaky and it still has no TQ. It would do alot of things well, but that 130wtq would ba a major handicap lugging 2775 lbs off a corner.[/b]
    If I could get an ITR at about 2700-2750lbs, I'd seriously consider building one. I owned one for 5.5 years, loving every second of it, and they're great cars. I still can't believe that it got shot down to be classified. It's 195hp stock and the currently classified Prelude VTEC's are 200. Lets not even talk about the gobs and gobs of more torque that Prelude has. Yet it got classified and the ITR didn't.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX