With many disparate models in each class...and we have accepted that some cars make better race cars than others at a given, equal level of prep. The only thing that differs in each class is the assigned weight and that weight is rock-solid steady.
[/b]
I'm sorry but this is just silliness. Weight must ALWAYS be considered in the equation. Classify one car at a buttload less weight and of course it will make a better race car than the others.

As far as the weight placement, I was told it had to go to the BoD, which it is why it takes so long. Hell, you might as well send it to the U.S. Senate! Times are changing and the SCCA better be able to change with the times.
[/b]
DJ, FWIW, certain types of changes can be approved directly by the CRB and implemented immediately. Others must be approved by the BOD. I am not as up on the nuances of this, but since I have no direct impact on making an official rule change, I don't have the need to know it in detail (IOW it's outside my scope so I haven't bothered commiting it all to memory).

As for BMWCCACR being more flexible, I believe the rules of governing this stuff is set in the by-laws of the club (SCCA). As such, they simply must be followed. If you think they should be changed, please, by all means write to the BOD. That is NOT meant to be smart-alek or snotty, just forthright.