Thread: safety updates since 2002?

the itb crx i just purchased has not seen a track since 02. so what all additions will i need to make?

tow hooks, fuel sample, drop-down window net, but what else?

any rollcage change requirements? its an autopower bolt-together, what must be added?

My car was built in the late nineties, and i am not sure if it is an ERW cage, how do I figure this out? the only documentation that i have is an old tech inspection log book that goes up to 2001. thats all I have.

so how do I identify ERW cage?

and if it is will the old logbook be sufficient to pass, or will I need a new cage?

Boy it is hard to remember what year what change happened. Maybe seat back support, horizontal in main hoop full width, Insulate Kill switch contacts

The drop down net is not a rule yet.

Erw is very hard for you or tech to determine unless you sand the paint off but only applies to new cars. Having the old logbook renders that irrelevant.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

it might be a given, but new Belts come to mind....

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

also, my whole cage is a bolt together affair, all the braces that join the hoops have collars, with two bolts.

do I have to weld all of that up solid? should I anyway?

are a horizontal bar in the front hoop or front hoop to firewall supports required?

The rules on bolt in cages haven't changed since 02 and no requirement have been added requiring a dash bar or firewall supports. Naturally when you have a chance it would be a good idea but the seat back support and is the only cage realted item I can think of since 02 and even that might already have been in place.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

What about SFI spec roll bar padding in helmet impact areas? I can't remember if or when. Where should I buy it?

Thanks,
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Racerparts Wholesale, but the SFI stuff is on back-order.

Another joke because you can buy the "hard" sticks that are the exact same thing as the SFI tagged padding for sometimes half the price.

>Where should I buy it?

Summit has it in stock right now, in three different thicknesses and three different colors, for $14 a stick.

IIRC, RPW wants $11 a stick for the non-SFI stuff (which may indeed be excatly the same w/o the sticker).
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

I couldn't find it in the GCR. Is it a done deal, and when is it required?

Thanks,
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

March Fasttrack.

Item 16. Effective 11/1/06: Change GCR sections 18.1.2 and 18.1.3 to read as follows:

18.1.3. Forward braces and portions of the main hoop subject to contact by the driver's helmet (as seated normally and restrained by seatbelt/shoulder harness) shall be padded with non resilient material such as EthafoamŽ or EnsoliteŽ with a minimum thickness of one half (1/2) inch. Padding meeting SFI spec 45.1 or FIA 8857-2001 is strongly recommended required.[/b]

So if your buying padding this year, get the SFI, don't waste your money on something else to get by for a few months.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Thanks for the FT info.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)