Thread: Full Tread Victoracers in the Dry

If I run full tread Victoracers in the dry on my ITB Rabbit can I expect the tread blocks to chunck up? Anyone have experience with the full tread Victoracers in the dry on their VW?

Or how well does a shaved Victoracer perform as an intermediate rain?

I looking for an intermediate rain tire that I can also use in the dry. I would like to run the full tread Victoracer in my driving school in June at Rockingham, NC. After that I will be ready for the new Hoosiers and I can keep the Victoracers as an intermediate rain.

Thanks,
    JimW
    #74 ITB Wraycer Wrabbit
    Jim Wray
    #4 ITB Wraycer Wrabbit
    Greensboro, NC

Right from TireRack's page

Kumho advises that the VictoRacer V700 DOT-legal competition radial must be shaved prior to use in dry track conditions. If this tire is not shaved, excessive wear may occur causing the tire to wear to the cords prematurely in a localized area.

Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Tim's correct. That being said, I've run them in the dry, and I know others that have, at full tread, and haven't had them chunk up. You need to heat cycly them right, but you can take care of them so that they don't chunk. I've also seen shaved tires last just as long as full-depth tires.

For an intermediate tire, I think you'll be hard pressed to find something better than a full-depth Toyo Proxes RA-1.

I have been wanting to try the Toyo's for a long time.

I usually buy from Tire Rack but they don't carry Toyo. Where's a good place to order Toyp tires?

JimW
    Jim Wray
    #4 ITB Wraycer Wrabbit
    Greensboro, NC

Vilven Tire in Royal IL.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Vilven Tire 800-251-0017

I get mine from them they are the cheapest I have found.

I usually buy from Tire Rack but they don't carry Toyo. Where's a good place to order Toyp tires?

JimW
    [/b]
    Jim -

I did pretty much what you're talking about for my double school at Roebling in Feb. I ran on full tread Toyos the whole weekend, and while I had noticeably more tire squirm, with the expected decrease in lap times, the tires held up just fine. I was particularly thankful about my decision when it started raining Saturday - the full-tread Toyos did very well on the wet track. So, unless you're one of the guys who goes to his driver's school trying to set a new track record you should have no problems.

I've heard many good things about Vilven, but I can also personally vouch for Radial Tire in Silver Spring, MD - 301-585-2740. They can shave your Toyos, and they give racers a really good deal on mounting/balancing.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Does Radial ship? That reminds me, I need to go get my wheels back from them tomorrow.

I ran my first school on full tread RA1's but thanks to the R3S04 closeouts I mounted hoosiers for this year and I plan to run my school on them so I can get used to them.

I have run full tread victoracers in a 3200# VW jetta (225/50/16) and wear was ok, not a bit of chunking but was very squirmy as mentioned before.

I am sure with the hoosiers I am going to have an eye opener since full tread RA1's are a whole different world.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Full tread Kumho work just fine in the dry; they are just slow.

They will not chunk or blister, but full treads are certainly a much better choice as an intermediate rain tire.

The Toyos are a far more expensive tire.

The Toyos are a far more expensive tire.
    [/b]
    Are you sure you're talking about Toyos? Or were you thinking Hoosiers? Tirerack sells the 225/50/15 Victoracer for $130, I get the same size Toyos for around $140 from Radial.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

From what I have seen of the new Hoosier wet, I have no reason to doubt that if you shave it to half tread, it would make a killer intermediate (like they suggest).

At this point, I see almost no reason to compromise on the track, either a full wet or a full dry for me. Seems like all the time it's either too wet for intermediates and the full wets are fastest or the line dries out and the slicks come from mid-pack to win.

Having said that, I think I saw Ed Tisdale run REAL fast at LRP on Victoracers when the track went from wet to dry. But remember, it's still all about compound. 4 year old RA-1's don't stick for crap even if you can get the rubber to the road.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

JimW
    [/b]
    Phils Tire Service...........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place