Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would your fantasy racetrack be like?

I think any track that I can get to in an hour and a half is a Godsend, and if it is raceable, wide where it has to be and has some terrain changes, with direction changes at the same spot that the terrain changes, ...

In the end, if it utilizes the natural terrain, and is technical but raceable, I will love driving it.
    [/b]
    You just described Grattan to a T. Five minutes from my house - I can hear it from my yard.
    • Downhill off-camber corner - lots of head-scratching for newcomers
    • The "jump", where open wheel cars pull air
    • When you "land" the jump at 90 MPH, you're right on top of the esses
    • The back "straight" with a kink at the top of a rise that'll give you some wheelspin
    • The 160* hairpin with enough downhill falloff that you can't see the apex until way after you've turned in
    • Leading to the uphill where you've got to turn in almost before you can see that there's a corner - then the suspension totally unloads at the apex. If you found the right line there's a trough that'll catch you and totally compress the suspension. If you didn't ...
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

(Sorry about the OT.)

Marty,

I'm going to be in GR in September (I think). Any racing going on then at Grattan?
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

I'm going to be in GR in September (I think). Any racing going on then at Grattan?
    [/b]
    If you get here early. Labor Day weekend.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

My fantasy track would be in my yard...
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

I like a track that has a low speed 2nd gear turn. It bunches things up, provides a neutralization of torque and brakes amongst the field, and provides a good place to watch action.

I would also like a porter in the boys room just like at those high rent tracks I've heard about.

(Why a guy would want to sit in a restroom all day is beyond me..........it's just begging for one of those Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" songs. I can hear it now.....mister bath-room colo-gne pur-vey-or......)

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I don't think you want a fantasy track. Just a track that is long enough to accomadate huge groups (min. 2.75 miles), can run on Sunday and is geographically well sited for your region.

The lay of the land and budget will dictate the actual layout and I would think you would want to try and preserve any topography you may have to start with.

Nelson Ledges is my favorite track and is the fastest 2 mile track around.

I love long sweeping turns, "s's", hairpins, just one, different elevations and one hell of a looooong straight away.

David

I love long sweeping turns, "s's", hairpins, just one, different elevations and one hell of a looooong straight away.

David
    [/b]

Sounds like Summit Point.

I guess my fantasy track would be Sebring long with hills!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

My fantasy track would be Nuburgring, the original, except a little closer to home. And each race would be a minimum of 20 laps.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

So basically a 2+ hour enduro every race depending on the class?
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

So basically a 2+ hour enduro every race depending on the class?
    [/b]
    Yep
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Over 2, but under 3 miles long; LOTS of smooth runoff room with nothing to hit; escape roads at the end of straights instead of gravel traps; corner stations located where the flags are easy to see; enough elevation change to make if fun, but not so much that it's a chore; at least three locations where you can set up a pass; and at least one multiple turn section that rewards the more skillful drivers. A bonus is if the layout could be reasonably run in either direction, making it a two-for-one track.

Locate it in an area that has a reasonable chance of staying rural and free of McMansion development for at least another 20 years. And no "Quiet Time" ordinances.

Bob Hudson, Atlanta Region
    Wishing Road Atlanta was still surrounded by stinky chicken farms instead of new houses.
    Bob Hudson
    National Steward

Seriously, anyone who has been to VIR must have it as very nearly their ideal racetrack. If you haven't been, well, you need to go and see for yourself. It is magnificent.
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

I think it would be cool to make it so you can run both directions... What tracks still can be set up to run both directions besides maybe Pocono???
    [/b]
    Moroso here in Florida runs the cars in one direction and the motorcycles in the other. Reason being that if you wipe out going one way, you hit a wall, going the other way, you go in a small pond. Car guys would rather hit the wall, bike guys would rather take a swim.

Put a track anywhere less than 7 hours from Minneapolis and I'll call it my favorite track. Anyone want to help me buy Brainerd so I have a place to play 2 hours away!

I think I would take Road America, add in a series of esses, and 2nd gear corner made for passing, AND, here's the topper, a city section. Can be fake buildings or whatever. Just think it would be fun to add some scary walls and a little bit of Monoco. Is it alright to put nice ladies hanging out of the fake buildings?

Never been to VIR
    Past owner of an ITA RX7