I have always like the ISAAC.
I thought it was a great design idea and a better implementation that the HANS. Plus I love how Gregg has taken the time and effort to inform all of us at the "grassroots" level of road racing.

I do however hold great respect for the HANS device. I always have considered it safe and it was always in the running as compared to the ISAAC. All the other seemed like they would be ineffective by design.

So given that I have been watching the creation of the SFI38.1 spec. I saw the writing on the wall last November and ordered something. My reasoning was that I could not longer afford to run without a head and neck device. I really needed to use one as I had been "thinking about it" for a year now. So it was a HANS device for me as I could see that I needed an SFI 38.1 approved device to ensure it would not turn into a $900 kiddy toy.

Due to the side impact issues I added in a $75 dollar side net in to the equation. I feel quite comfortable with my set-up.

- Yes I drilled the helmet
- Yes I had to mess with my harness mounting (actually lowered my seat and added lock rings to the harness bar)
- Yes I had to re-learn how to get in and out of the car
- Yes it was uncomfortable at first.

All those stories you hear are true. However after 3 track days I forgot about the HANS it became just another part of my gear. One day it just may even save my life. I just hope I get old and gray long before that happens.