in terms of sound/momentum/cadence, I would think there are a slew of good Paul Okenfold's stuff from a half dozen years ago, Hybrid and the whole surf-esque progressive music from the Police's early (French named) albums (sort of take your pick - I am partial to "No Time This Time") - to bands like JFA and Agent Orange.

If you could just ditch the lyrics altogether, I'd say The Connells "Scotty's Lament" and several songs off The Smiths "The Smiths" and "Hatful of Hallow" - just mute the lyrics

But for really getting _that_ sound, I think it begins and ends w/ John Lee Hooker's "Shake It Baby" and Drivin' n' Cryin' "Scarred But Smarter" -- and if you've run a CRX into a wall, both songs are probably as apt lyrically as musically LOL

Driver 8? Bitchin' Camaro?? Man, you guys have a much different concept of racing music than me LOL

Half of Bitchin' Camaro was spoken word, stuff about "my folks driving the car up from the Bahamas" - "you're kidding?" - "Of-course I am, the Bahamas are islands " ... that's not giving me that momentum visual on the race track.

"Driver 8 take a break, you've been on this shift too long" ?? - sounds like "Pit Crew for the 24hr Music" thread

Now if you insist on REM and Dead Milkmen, I'd propose "Carnival Of Sorts (Box Cars)" (does REM admit to making Chronic Town, Murmur, Fables and Reckoning anymore? ) for the former and uhm .... hell, even Big Lizard doesn't quite get it ... "Filet of Sole" maybe??