Thread: 1.8L ITA miata purchase $??

with all the (in my opinion, garbage) going on in SM over the last year, i'm considering switching over to IT. with the recent adjustments in ITA, i feel that the 1.8L miata can potentially be quite competitive. i've been looking around a bit to see what these things are selling for, but it doesn't seem that there are any on the market. perhaps others have the same notions as i do.

i'm curious as to what one could expect to pay for such a car. it doesn't have to be prepped to the max with nicey nice paint, ECU work, and a pro motor (although i would be interested how much those are as well). i'm more looking for a car that is well done with everything but these 3 items. it would really help me decide how much to ask for for my car if i had this information. i'm guessing there are others out there that are curious as well.

thanks.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I think you will pay $10K to $12K. This will be for a 1.8SM without a pro motor, without a good R&P, and without the right suspension.

I don't believe many (if ANY) 1.8l ITA Miata exist for sale. It should be cheaper to build from scratch than convert.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

so you're saying that this is one of those ultra-rare instances where it's cheaper to build a car than buy one that's already built? or are you just saying it'd be cheaper to build another car from scratch than convert my current SM to ITA?

if the latter is the case, i really wasn't considering converting since i have the 1.6l, and with some of the more HP oriented tracks around here, i'd want the 1.8l.

perhaps more will pop up in the fall, or perhaps their price will increase if they prove to be successful.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I don't think there are any to buy so the cheapest way is to build one rather than convert a 1.8 SM.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt

for discussion sake -

if a not fully built ITA 1.8 miata goes for 12k, then would a full-tilt-boogie one sell for 17-20k? i would certainly believe it, but i just found that interesting because you can get CRX's that CLAIM to be pretty good cars for 7-10k all day long. do you guys think this is in lieu of recent rule changes, or is it more because there aren't really any 1.8 ITA miata's out there, but there are truckloads of CRX's?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Just to add a little more the math here...If a REALLY good SM car sells for $25K (and they do...) then you would expect a really good ITA car to be more than this...Scary isn't it.

I don't think a "competitive" one can be done for less then $20K. The goodies to run at the front can be quite pricey and that's before you add all the "diminishing return" parts. I think a class winning one will be more then $30K. While that may seem like a silly number, ask Anthony Serra how much he'd sell you his new integra for. A very competitive car for sure, but not cheap, and that's what you'd be running against.

Math, such an ugly subject!

Cheers,
    Colin Harmer
    ITA Red/Blue Miata Number TBD
    gomuchfaster.com
    [email protected]

IIRC, the new silver MSN car is for sale in the $35K range, might include data aq for that, not sure.....which makes his old one that he sold for much less, I think, look like a deal!

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Talking about garbage, how many illegal roll cage side hoops exist on ITA Miata or Spec Miatas ?

Anyone who understands the ITA Miata or Spec Miata roll cage side hoop rules like to explain to me how anyone can have legal side hoops traveling through the instrument panel within 1/2 inch of the A pillar?

Yup, the ol man is on a rant.

Jake, step up to the plate & bring some help.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Talking about garbage, how many illegal roll cage side hoops exist on ITA Miata or Spec Miatas ?

Anyone who understands the ITA Miata or Spec Miata roll cage side hoop rules like to explain to me how anyone can have legal side hoops traveling through the instrument panel within 1/2 inch of the A pillar?

Jake, step up to the plate & bring some help. [/b]
    Dave, you and I talked on the phone, so you know cages are not my expertise, but what would make this type of case illegal?
    Andy Bettencourt

Jake, step up to the plate & bring some help.
    [/b]
    Ok im lost on this one...my miata has a dash board with roll cage tubes going into it...and they are very close to the a pillars but not touching...so whats the point?
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge