Thread: front splitter needed

where can i buy a front splitter[ie] lower air dam for a 2nd gen rx7? not fiberglass!!!!!

Why not fiberglass? We use the ISC piece and it's survived way too many off course excursions. Good strong piece.
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com

Why not fiberglass? We use the ISC piece and it's survived way too many off course excursions. Good strong piece.
    [/b]
    Works well for me, too.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Contact the guys at Flatout motorsports.
    www.flatout-motorsports.com
    John Costello
    2009 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    2010 Northeast Division T3 Champion
    King Motorsports
    Hoosier Tire
    Chase Cam
    Redline Oil
    YEA YEA YEA......I sold out and now drive an SM and get schooled on a regular basis!

Works well for me, too.
    [/b]
    Until last Sunday.
    [attachmentid=452]
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Contact the guys at Flatout motorsports.
    www.flatout-motorsports.com [/b]
    Thanks John!

http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/catalog...products_id/170

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I'll keep this thread going rather than start new, back from the dead. Is there anything else out there besides ISC and Flatout splitters that's not just cosmetic?

ISC is for the S4 bumper and I've got S5, I prefer the S5 bumper. I had a Flatout splitter up until earlier today, now it's in a ditch by turn 1 at TWS. Of course, any splitter would come off if you put the car in a ditch and catch air coming out the other side. The Flatout splitter is nice but ever time I put 4 wheels off (3 times this year), the front end of the car gets torn up (splitter breaks and fenders buckle). Gravel trap, light spin, hit a cone the guy in front threw up before and the same thing happened.

Now, I know I should keep all 4 wheels on the track, that's a given. Besides that, I need a new splitter, do I go Flatout or is there something more forgiving?

Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Mark, the SpeedSource cars were the first RX-7s I ever saw w/ splitters and I remember being surprised when I bent down to check one out and saw that it was nothing but plywood (actually Jabrock) and a 2x4. What makes it work is the attachment - 4 L-brackets welded/bolted to the frame. If you can wield a jigsaw and can have the brackets welded on, you're in business.

[attachmentid=1060]

Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I had researched them and see a lot of people do home made. I could make one but thought I'd just buy as I am real busy and must make a Sept 1 race.

Is that 2 x 4 laying on it's side (looks like the 1.5" part of the 2 x 4 is what I see between the plywood and bottom of the bumper)? This design and mounting looks easier than I have seen and non destructive to the rest of the body during an off, thanks for posting that pic. After talking apart the front end this AM, I realized my Ron Davis radiator has holes in it as well. What a bummer. The pocketbook may require me to build a splitter.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

If you discount the value of your time, or simply enjoy doing this sort of stuff, you can build 2-3 splitters for the price of one of the fiberglass units. (Sorry Andy.)

The benefits I see are as Mark mentioned, you can install it completely separate from the body work so that damage is minimized in the event of an off.

I plan to build my own using plywood, and possibly laying a coating of sealer or resin to smooth it over when it's completed. I will incorporate some sort of mounting brackets, separate from the bumper and likely dropping down from the frame rails. I find this setup stronger, similar to the front undertray on a Daytona prototype. I may even slot the mounting brackets at the top, thus allowing some adjustability for different tires and tracks. Daytona has no curbs to speak of and would allow the lowest possible setting, and Sebring and Road Atlanta might warrant a slightly higher mounting. Racers tape is great for making up the difference.

None of this stuff is new, but being in the position to see many types of setup allows me to pull the best of what I see and fabricate what I don't see.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

I build mine from a lightweight balsa core plywood and have aluminum mounts that bolt to stock holes in the frame. Two pins and the whole thing drops off for easy loading and service. Only lost one in 9 years and it was after going for a wild ride in the oil at the SIC.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I also built my splitter from plywood and 2x4. I coated it with paint and water sealer. Built two spitters from the same sheet of wood in about 6-8 hrs (total time with paint etc.). For the price, I would recommend building one from wood.
    Wayne Hussey
    36 ITS RX7
    SCCA Florida Region
    http://prostuning-net.webs.com/

The spacer is either a 2x4 or 2x6, I don't recall which, on its side. I think I have a template if anyone wants it. E-mail me at sccaracer @ comcast.net w/ your address and I'll mail it to you.

For those who have not had a spillter before, be aware that it will affect loading and unloading unless it is easily removable. I had to make some ramp extensions.

Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

Bill, I sent you an email. Thanks for the offer, hope no one beat me to it. I'm making a splitter, just like the Speedsource one and others mentioned. It'll mount to the frame and I have an idea to use 4 pins for easy dismount. I'll post pics when done. I'm going to cover the whole thing with fiberglass cloth and resin to give it more strength and to remove the home made out of wood stigma.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I built mine from wood too. I have a Speedsource car, came with wood splitter. I do have the template if you need it. I can trace it onto a piece of drafting paper if need be.

Let me Know...

Chadd
    Chadd Landress
    ITS RX-7
    CK~Evolution Racing/Speedsource
    # 58