Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Belts again

HI
    Its Time to buy new seat belts again. So is this rule due to What? Does anybody know why we need to buy belts every two years when last year I was in and out of my car less than 30 times and maybe 50 in the year before. Less than 100 times. Now we IT drivers probaly don`t do more than 5-10 races a year and maybe 2 practice track days. With those few times in and out of the car I never have much wear. Is it because of Bio degrading materials in the belts. If I don`t have visable wear is it because of streaching. In Nascar they are in and out of 1 of there cars more than I am all year. If I ran a pro series maybe but I would rather spend the monies towards ? Something else.
    Scott CRXsi 07 NER ITA
    <span style="font-family:Impact">Scott CRX NER ITA #0</span>

There are several reasons for this. One is that in time Nylon will stretch and deteriorate. I do not agree with the severityof the rule as written. However, I do believe that after any major inpact the belts need to be replaced. The failure of the Earnhart belts has been discussed here and in many other places. The current issue of Speedway Illustrated has an excellent piece showing installs that are wrong or that cause fraying due to entry/exit. I have wondered about this issue too. My car is heated garage kept under tarp. It is on track 3 weekends a year-there is effectively NO wear. Is 3 years unreasonable-NO. But, then again some folks are buying very expensive 5 year rated belts made of the SAME material as the 2 year ones How is the price justified--by the FIA tag and nothing else as I see it.
    Just my humble view.
    Grandpa&#39;s toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
    &#39;89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
    &#39;03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Thanks to: KONI, Firefox Industries-Fire Suppression Systems, KIRK Racing and a host of others.

FIA belts aren&#39;t always expensive...... Check it out

Got mine yesterday!

http://www.saferacer.com/5pocahaset.html

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Jeff, You are correct several sources for the FIA belts at $135.00 price range. Might just as well get the 6 PT mount at the same time. $135.00 Divided by 5 Yrs = $27.00 per year about the price of 10 Gallons of premium fuel ( in our Area) We also added a Hans Device for the driver as We moved to ITS. If at anytime the Belts show wear or any problem I&#39;ll junk them and get new. As a former Tech Inspector you can NOT even begin to believe what would show up for tech. . Maybe the rule eliminates that question of replacing belts with the 2 yr SFI Rule and PLEASE watch them all the time for an problems.
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

The polite response is that it is the "idiot proof" rule.

Which means that we are protecting that one moron in FL, (or equivilent) who leaves his car out, in the sun, every day, and it gets rained on every aftrenoon at 4PM as the daily shower passes, then gets baked at 100 degrees, and repeats and repeates and repeats....

So that when HE smacks the wall in his old, faded, decayed belts and dies, his family can&#39;t sue for a new house, boat and vactation home.....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Oh boy, this is a topic you really don&#39;t want to get me started on.

IMHO (after considerable research), I think it boils down to a ploy to sell more belts. You see, SFI is an organization by and for the manufacturers.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

With the new belts I got, it came with a graph that showed the decline in strength over a 24 month period. If it&#39;s legit data, I&#39;ll replace my belts once a year!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

With the new belts I got, it came with a graph that showed the decline in strength over a 24 month period. If it&#39;s legit data, I&#39;ll replace my belts once a year!!
    [/b]
    It&#39;s flawed data. It&#39;s from a 40 year old study that simulates EXTREME exposure to the elements in an accerlerated fashion to simulate a 24 month period using a different type of nylon.

Nobody has tested just how strong the webbing should be. For all we know, 25% of the original webbing strength may be plenty. The SFI test is a total joke (I received the testing protocol directly from SFI).
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

The polite response is that it is the "idiot proof" rule.

Which means that we are protecting that one moron in FL, (or equivilent) who leaves his car out, in the sun, every day, and it gets rained on every aftrenoon at 4PM as the daily shower passes, then gets baked at 100 degrees, and repeats and repeates and repeats....

So that when HE smacks the wall in his old, faded, decayed belts and dies, his family can&#39;t sue for a new house, boat and vactation home.....
    [/b]
    Jake,

How does this change anything if the guy uses 5-year FIA belts?

As I read about this, it makes me think that perhaps all of us switching to FIA-rated belts might be the best way to send a message what we think of SFI ratings? No... oh well... if only we did have a voice!

As an aside, I see (from perusing the saferacer site) that they now have a 7-point G-Force belt setup for sale - latch-n-link or camlock - under the Pro Series line - very glad to see! Unfortunately, the 7-points are not FIA tagged, only the 6-points. Hmmm, hard choice.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Jake,

How does this change anything if the guy uses 5-year FIA belts?
    [/b]
    Well, the polite response is that THAT material has been okie dokied for 5 years of wash n wear!

Of course, it&#39;s probably the same damn stuff.

The impolite response is that it&#39;s all a bunch of crapola, and nothing more than a racket.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Over the weekend I noticed my belts were expired. Just ordered the GFR-7001 6 point pull down Cam locks With FIA tags, MSRP 149.99 Of course by time I get home from work only one dealer is still open to place the order was a "small" shop on the left coast and charged full price. Shop the dealers listed on the web site and you can find them a bit cheaper.

On the G-Force web site they show only the 5&6 point pull downs with FIA approval.

http://www.gforce.com/products/harnesses/c...ouldersets.html

Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

OK
    Thanks for the input.
    I still don`t know anything.
    But I have to buy new belts.
    But I guess Jake is the winner. It is about the guy who lets his stuff become a danger to himself.

Scott CRXsi #07 ITA NER
    <span style="font-family:Impact">Scott CRX NER ITA #0</span>

Well, the polite response is that THAT material has been okie dokied for 5 years of wash n wear!

Of course, it&#39;s probably the same damn stuff.

The impolite response is that it&#39;s all a bunch of crapola, and nothing more than a racket.
    [/b]

Ok, glad we&#39;re on the same page.

I know that this is a small light in a very dark room, but if you time your purchase properly you can actually get nearly three years from the same purchase.

The rule gives us until Dec. of the expiration year, so those belts that are purchased in Jan/Feb of 2006 are valid until Dec. of 2008. So you can effectively use the belts for the &#39;06, &#39;07, and &#39;08 seasons.

A.

Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 shall bear a dated ‘SFI
    Spec 16.1’ label. The certification indicated by this label
    shall expire on December 31st of the 2nd year after the date
    of manufacture as indicated by the label.

Every little bit helps, I guess.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

That is exactly why I waited until now to get my new belts. My car is garage kept and probably sees 6 weekends and 3 test days a year, but even with that little exposure the belt from the cage to the seat was noticably lighter/weathered than the rest of the belt in a three year period. Then again I buy the ~$65 five point Latch and Link SFI belts, and use the old ones as bait to lure other potential addicts to our addiction or maybe they are simply used to impress their friends?
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!

next set of belts, I&#39;ll be looking for polyester belts, not nylon. Nylon stretches 20% while polyester is at 7%. Think of the 3&#39; belt from your lap to the harness bar - 20% is over 7" that you&#39;re moving forward in a frontal collision.
    cheers,
    bruce

The Mil Spec parachute webbing we use in our Link model has been tested to hell and back by the Pentagon, which calls for its replacement every 13 years when used in a cockpit harness.

Of course, if we ever get it "SFI certified" you&#39;ll have to replace it every two years.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

The Mil Spec parachute webbing we use in our Link model has been tested to hell and back by the Pentagon, which calls for its replacement every 13 years when used in a cockpit harness.

Of course, if we ever get it "SFI certified" you&#39;ll have to replace it every two years.
    [/b]
    Gregg, what is the basic material makeup of the webbing?
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I&#39;m not sure Jake, I&#39;d have to check. I personally haven&#39;t followed the whole nylon-vs-polyester thing. When we decided to check out webbing our contacts said, "Oh, just use Mil-XXX-YYY-ZZ.ABC. Works great," which it does.

Remind me and I&#39;ll dig up the details. I will note that, except for the width, it looks and feels just like street car belting--same thickness also, 0.080" IIRC.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com