Thread: Suspension setting starting point?

Hi
    New to Racing Track cars. have a Corolla FX ITB and was looking for some advice on a base line setup for camber and Toe. Front and Rear.
    Car has Ground control shocks and springs fitted.
    Also forgive my ignorance. What is the differrence between the FX and the GTS. I see the GTS can run in Eprod as well. Can the FX?? Just looking for more seat time to get used to driving again.

Cheers SteveP
    Cheers SteveP
    "Growing Old is Manadtory"
    "Growing Up Is Optional"
    ITS Porsche 924s
    ITB Geo Prizm (For Sale)

Steve-

Where are you located (IE: what tracks). The setting may be different depending where you go.

Raymond "Welcome back?" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Will be racing at Waterford Hills MI. for my Novice season then hope to expand from there.
    Thanks SteveP
    Cheers SteveP
    "Growing Old is Manadtory"
    "Growing Up Is Optional"
    ITS Porsche 924s
    ITB Geo Prizm (For Sale)

I don't know the tracks, but I am sure that others will help...
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

There were 3 FX's. FX, FX16, FX16-GTS. Since you said ITB, I'm assuming you have an FX16. The base FX had a carbed SOHC engine and an el-cheapo interior; the FX16 had the L-jetronic injected 4AG twin cam engine and an upgraded interior; the GTS was mostly an appearance package (better seats, aero package). Functionally, the FX16 and GTS are the same car. Properly built, you can get about 110 wheel HP out of it, and it should be very competitive (IMHO) in ITB.

Suspension settings? I'd start with about 2* negative camber on both ends and about 1/16" of toe - out on the front and in on the rear.

I race its "backward" cousin - an MR2. FWIW, it's the same drivetrain with the shifter arms reversed in the transmission housing and a different header. Your biggest problem will be finding decent brake pads - and you'll need them, especially on the front. If you are really lucky, you may stumble on to a modded transaxle for an AW11 MR2 or an AE82 / 92 / 101 Corolla - with a LSD and a 4.73 final drive. You can take the guts out of the diff and put them in the FX.

Actually, Porterfield makes race pads for the FX Corollas. Go to http://www.porterfield-brakes.com. The part numbers are AP242 for the front and AP352 for the rear. I was shocked that they made race pads for my 80 Corolla!
    Ryan Walsh
    Cal Club
    Formerly building ITB Corolla
    Now building ???

"I remember the immortal words of Socrates when he said, 'I drank what?'"