Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best anti-fog for inside of windshield?

It isn't very comfortable driving while your windshield is completely fogged up. Let's hear any experiences with different products/solutions...... Rain-x anti fog doesn't do the trick most of the time.
    Rob May
    I'll race anything....

Put shaving cream on the glass and wipe clean. You can also do this in the bathroom to keep the mirror clear for shaving after running a hot shower.
    Hammer
    CFR
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56
    2009 Nissan GTR
    2010 Nismo 370z
    http://www.ReedNissan.com/

Here's a pic of me in the rain..it was kinda wet.

Each lap, under braking at the end of the NASCAR section, I saw some great tubes go unridden in the passenger footwell...

My solution to clear vision?

My defroster, blowing full bore.

(If anyone can get Josh Kane to contact me I would be very appreciative! My eamils to him have gone unanswered)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

RainX Anti-Fog. Works great everytime. When it rains at Summit Point our track store seems to sell out of this product very fast.

Do Not use this product on Lexan. But hopefully no one in an IT car is running Lexan windows.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Bar soap, dish detergent...

Another vote for hot water in the heater box, and a fan that works. SOMEDAY it will rain on a race I'm running on htis coast and revenge will be mine. Bwah-hah-haaah!

K

wipe the inside with soapy water and it lasts the whole race. Huge blower helps too!!
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I'll say a working defroster and rain-x anti-fog. Of course I still couldn't see the last time I ran in the rain, but that's because the wipers couldn't keep up with the water at high speed.

I've seen the bar soap thing work, but the application of it seems to be critical.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Potato Juice.

Yes, slice a raw potato and rub the open face on the glass, then wipe up.

A guy who made his living alternately between beeing a chef and a scuba diver told me this. It worked on ski goggles when I was a kid, can't say I've tried it on a windsheild.

Carrying a squeegy on your lap works too, much easier than loosening the belts & using the back of your hand (probably safer too).

Matt

Dial hand soap, in the handy-dandy pump bottle. Squidge a little on a dry paper towel, then wipe it on the windshield. Wipewipewipewipewipewipe until it's pretty much invisible.

I do the same thing to the inside of my helmet visors...critically important when I'm running the open cockpit Plastique Pig.

Highly controversial personal opinion: Fog-X is useless.

Works for me..plug chewing tobacce....wet end and wipe inside of windshield. Wipe clean with paper towel...can be done with windshield already fogged. chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Ugh...I think I'm going to be ill...

Ugh...I think I'm going to be ill...
    [/b]

I think he means the 'yet-to-be-chewed' variety. I hope. Really.

Don't chew, don't want to be around a chewer....wet the end of the plug in water and wipe windshield......doesn't even smell after you wipe it off. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Just how many members of the vegetable kingdom have you guys tried, to arrive at this (growing) list of edible antifog agents ?

Why just potatos and tobacco ? Why not eggplant ? Passion fruit ? Brussel sprouts ? The possibilities are endless, although it might start to sound like a Python sketch.

Some of you guys scare me.....

I tried asparagus once, worked well, but my pee smelled funny after the race..

ba da bump....

sorry.....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

You're grouping chewing tobacco into the group of "edible" vegetables? And you find us scary?

Remind me to be cautious if you're offering to cook.

Matt

I wipe down the inside of the windshield with Coca-Cola. Works great !!
    On the outside I use Rain-x

Tim (Pinkys new owner)
    ITB Golf

Road Atlanta was miserable on Saturday (my first rain sessions) so I got to try out Fog-x. I have to say that Fog-x by itself sucks. It was raining during the qualifying session and my window fogged up after about a lap. Luckily it wasn't raining for most of the race so the window stayed mostly clear. It started misting about halfway through and my window fogged some, but I could still see for the most part.

Another racer had a small, high volume fan blowing across his windshield and he said he was ok. So fog-x with a fan seems to work, but not fog-x by itself. I did the Panoz racing school and they actually have a wiper blade on the inside of the windshield that syncs up with the one on the outside.

I'll be doing a test on my bathroom mirror with all the weird things mentioned in this thread along with fog-x to see if something actually works better than the others. Should be interesting.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

I use Fog-X with no problems, used it all day Saturday at Road Atlanta. I think that the key is a very clean windshield prior to Fog-X application. I use rain-X on windshield with great results also..again on a clean windshield. The temps were pretty cold this weekend so I don't think the defroster was worth it...Had hard enough time getting any temp in the motor even with tape on half of the grill...
    Chris Newberry
    Atlanta, GA