Thread: Replacing a lost log book

I got an email from a wanted ad I posted with an old ITA Golf Cup Car for sale. I know the car is now classed in ITB but my question is the seller does not have the log book which was lost by a previuous owner. I'm looking for a school car and than develop it as time goes by. It of course has to be updated safety wise (window net, seat belts etc... it has a bolt in cage to which I don't know if it is ERW or DOM that I would not like to totally replace but add to.

Anyone know for sure if it can get a replacement log book or just avoid the thing. I have an other car in mind that can leagally get me thru my schools and need a mechanical overhaul afterwards.

TIA - Terry

As long as the vehicle meets all current safety rules, getting a replacement logbook is no big deal. However, if there are items that need to be grandfathered in (rollcage sizes/mods, for example) then the car will need to be updated to meet current rules prior to logbook issue.

Said differently, it will be handled just the same way as if you were building a new car and presenting it for its first logbook. Prior history will be irrelevant. - GA

Also Terry, Get the number on the cage. First 2 numbers are the region that issued the logbook. Call their chief of tech and see what information you can get on the car and the date of issue.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Thanks guys, I think I'll still lean towards the other car, it will come with an annual already completed and sorted out enough to get me through my two schools and improve from there. The other car will be too close to starting a new build and from what I have learned from all the helpfull folks here a "pre-built" car is the best bang for the buck.

Terry

I would have to agree with you. The closer you can get to a sorted car the better off you are. If your option is a sorted car you can afford or an car that hasn't been teched in a long time and will need a lot of work, I would go witht he sorted car even if it will need some mechanical work.

I did just that, I bought a cherry of an ITB golf gti with a stock trans and trashed motor.

I spent some money on fixing the cage, a 1 season old motor, adding an oil cooler and replacing some parts and a seat that fit me and I was off to my fall school. This winter the only thing I had to do was buy new belts. Believe me, go with the sorted car.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

You are right to be worried about the ERW cage question. If it isn't DOM and you aren't able to find the original logbook (or work out re-issue of one on the existing number, from the original region), then you would pretty much be dorked. You need to answer that question before you buy it so you don't get in a huge $$ bind.

K

I think I'll stay the mission with a prepped car passing the annual. Better to worry about getting some kind of seat time and not building. Costs are in line, hopefully the one I have in mind will run the limited time I'll have this season. I am a PM fanatic so Go over the preventable issues and hope for the best. My last jetta had 480k on the clock till the rust killed a shock tower and the current one is just broken in at 225,000. (Diesels VWs)

Thanks for the input.

Terry