Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IT7 tire rule question

Kurt, I'm very aware that Rickey is faster than I am. He's faster than anyone in the southeast, with rare exceptions on the odd day (Brian at Road Atlanta is an example although that wasn't in his car. The SIC 2005 is another, although Rickey came back strong after his spin and might well have won without it). Basically, though, he gets outrun maybe once a year. Look at the stats. He has won about 90% of the races he enters, and most of the ones he didn't were ones in which he had problems.

But that's my point for people who think RX7s will be competitive in ITA. Rickey is clearly the fastest RX7 around and yet he's still several seconds off the pace when the really fast ITAs (i.e., the Rick Thompsons of ITA) show up. The weight changes will make it closer, but I still don't see RX7s being truly competitive in ITA. That's not to say that Rick and some of the other RX7s won't win some races. When the fields are a little weaker, it will happen (For a similar scenario, I've won 4 IT7 races in the last two years - but it was in races where Rick didn't show up. That doesn't mean I'm a truly competitive IT7 driver.)

And the reason for the spec tire rule was cost savings, not a desire for us slower people to drag down the fast guys. It wouldn't work. As you note, the fast guys are the fast guys for a reason. It doesn't make a difference whether everyone is on Hoosiers or everyone is on Toyos.

Tom Lyttle

Tom, you said in your post that your car did not handle or perform as well as it had with your nissan on toyos .I guess this means you will spend money for your already very competative car. So I ask were will the saved money go? It will go to redevedope your suspension on your car. Were did your savings go? You didnt get any you just got another budget increase. Your car performs very well with the hoosier tire. I hope that your post will help others to come to the same conclusion. If you developed your car with one tire make it will cost you money to get your car back to its perfomance standers after changing to another tire.

Kurt IT7 #00 @ #59

Kurt -

I should have been a little clearer. I ran just one session on the Toyos - plus I made the mistake of using the unshaved version - so it's not surprising that they didn't feel as good as the Hoosiers. I'm sure I'll be able to get the car working properly within a handful of sessions, i.e., one set of tires, not 12. Even if it's not quite as fast as the Hoosiers, as long as everyone is on the same tire I don't see the problem (everyone will just go a little slower).

We'll see how things go this weekend. I assume you'll be there in ITA?

Tom Lyttle

i don't recall anyone bitching when we were getting our asses kicked by the crx's in it-a when Stan and Lee started it-7. now when something does not go your way you bitch or say your going to run it-a. it-7 is the most driver oriented class in scca. i don't recall any spec miata driver getting to vote or being asked their imput on a spec tire. in it-7 it was 5 to 1 for a spec tire. if you don't like it quit bitching and get support to change it or anything else you think will help the class grow. we can vote to bring back six thousand dollar remote res shocks if that is what we want. i don't care if the majority of drivers vote that we have to run on 1 rotor and space saver spares i will support that and support the class and if i don't agree with it i will try to change it but I WILL NOT RUN TO IT-A OR PUT DOWN THE CLASS. use your energy to help it-7. call Stan or Lee and ask their opinion and brainstorm with your fellow drivers on ideas to help the class. that is what will make changes for the positive. you are it-7. i for one don't claim to be in Ricky's league. and speaking of Ricky i have seen him run extremely fast on hoosiers and toyo's on the same weekend in the same car. also when scca did thier tire test to my knowledge they ran a nunber of different tires on the same cars with the same set up and came up with toyo. but unlike spec miata we can change this if the majority of us want it changed. try that in any other class. use your powers for good help it-7. i personally love this class as well as my fellow drivers and will continue running my mid pack self in whatever configuration or tire or whatever that WE decide. as with everything in our lives we have the power to help or to hurt. please try to help it-7 and you will always have me behind you. literally with my slow ass self. sincerely "LT" lap traffic Pepe.

Amen, Pepe, you said a mouthful(for most people; you on the other hand, probably didn't come up for air!). That's why we luv ya!!!

Your friends in Moore County