Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Beat me, hurt me - I think I'll go run NASA PT

Andy, while I agree it is possible to spend $20k on any race car, it is fact that the fellows finishing up front at the ARRC in 84/87 ITC Hondas are not. There are 7 ITC Hondas in our small SCCA Region, and I was involved enough in each to know about what was spent. These cars represent THREE first place ARRC ITC finishes, and about 10 podium finishes there. From your list, most recent builds of front runners:

Donor Car: from $100 to big spender at $500
    Cage: DIY at $325 for material, swap used parts for bending (would be $1250 for custom shop built)
    Two sets wheels: Actually three sets at $100 per set at junkyard (off VW)
    Sunbelt Motor: Front runners are using Basement Built, with Sunbelt head. Pistons $159 per set.
    Limited Slip/Final drive: Phantom Grip at $259 and SI 4.40 final at <$100 or 4.93 at <$1500
    Shocks/Suspension: Tokicos at $470 per set, other $260 including Basement Built strut mounts.
    Safety Equipment; See Tim at SafeQuip for about $860.
    Add a set of Hoosiers to your list and it comes to about the $7000 mark. Obviously, the mechanically inept would have to spend more.

But the last of the seven ITC cars in our Region took the easy way. He bought a well built ITC Honda for $3075. It just passed it&#39;s Annual, and is a former champion (not ARRC). And I sold my ITC Civic for $5000 (former ARRC Champion, mulitple ECR championships).

Maintenance? We don&#39;t know what the life of the Basement Built motors is yet. The oldest in our group has 50 SCCA races on it (including ARRC first place and many enduro wins) and a few dirt track races. Car was totaled at VIR (by an SM) in it&#39;s 50th race, on the pole. It is now in a street Honda, driven every day and still doesn&#39;t burn oil. Pistons haven&#39;t been out of the block. It is considered our "spare race motor". It is using the $159 per set pistons.
    Can&#39;t win in ITC because you have less than $10,000 to spend? Work smarter and harder and drive faster. [/b]
    While I applaud your math, I still feel ike you can&#39;t get it done for less than $10K. No reference to:

-pads
    -rotors
    -hubs
    -calipers
    -no paint and body work on the $100 donor?

I am assuming your $860 includes a seat, belts, fuel test port, fire extinguisher, etc.

Regardless, the cost of a budget build is probably similar across all classes except for engine prep and donor costs. Not too bad.

ITC IS the cost leader for sure but if you had as many people interested in building top cars, cost to be competitive would rise.

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy,

KOOOOOLLLL Avatar!!
    Darin E. Jordan
    Renton, WA

I suppose the cars we get to work with here for $150 or so aren&#39;t the same as a salted MA. car. We have a near perfect spare setting out back (great white paint still) that we bought for $150. Three of the seven ITC Hondas here have been at least partially painted. Others original.
    Vesa Silegren won the ARRC in a Honda he painted with spray cans from WalMart! Looked pretty good - at speed. Noticed Rebstock&#39;s paint? Just a different way of thinking about what a race car is. Yes, we don&#39;t see many big spenders in ITC, and like it that way.
    Example - Fuel test Port. 18 inches of hose, a fitting and a brake bleeder. $6.
    Bill

I suppose the cars we get to work with here for $150 or so aren&#39;t the same as a salted MA. car. [/b]
    Note to self. Leave 2 empty spots on the transporter for clean donors!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967