Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wireing proposal

Just to stir the pot.......

I'd love to know how many in the rules creep, purist category still have their speakers. I do- on the passenger side. Not on the drivers side because of cage clearance......

Interesting

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Greg, Did you buy your car new??[/b]
    Yup.
    ...were you able to get the NX2000 w/o radio?[/b]
    Yup. Ordered from the factory with no A/C, no radio, no t-tops, no nuthin'.

'Course, since removal of the interior panels is legal, and speakers attach to the interior panels, it's a moot point on most vehicles. - GA

I don't know Greg, the function of a speaker is obviously different than that of a door panel. And remember, just because a car faces a limitation like this (speaker mounted to door panel) doesn't mean you can force a legal mod (door panel removal) to facilitate an illegal one. I would say that if the speaker must remain and they are attached to the door panels then the panel, or a portion of it, must remain.

Does this earn me my rules nerd membership?

Oh, and that was a joke, but it does raise an interesting question.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

If the car was available without it as an option, you can take it out and leave what would be there if you bought it with radio delete package...nothing. I guess it is a good debate for a car you couldn't get w/o radio delete.
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

This is the same argument made several years ago about cars like mine having rear window wipers. Some models did, some models didn't. Some people removed them, some didn't. The question of legality was never completely solved, just dropped. I suppose the consensus was that if you were beaten by a car that had no windshield wiper, was that the reason or only the tip of the iceberg.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Seems like there's a difference between a car that comes "standard" without a rear wiper, and ordering a delete option that leaves something off that is "standard." Or maybe not. What do I know.

K

Matt,

So you are telling me that when I replace my door panel with the allowable aluminum sheet, I have to find a way to re-install my speaker, window crank, arm rest, interior door handle, etc?

AB
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy,

As for the idea of the window crank, arm rest, handle etc, those are all specfically called out. So they are obviously legal to remove. But I can't find a place in the ITCS where it says it is allowable to remove speakers. If you can't remove them they have to remain in the car and in some cases the door panels also serve as a speaker mount. Removal of the panels in that case would be a situation of an allowed modification performing an illegal function.

In reality though, the rule should just be changed to allow radio and speakers to be removed. Even the language in the TCS and SSCS does that. But it just goes to show how everyone seems to take some rules for granted.

~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

So what would it take to make this one small section of the rules simple.

my original proposal
    Proposed wording lifted from A Sedan rules:

For carbureted cars removal of wiring associated with a component which may be removed by these rules is permitted. All non-essential wiring may be removed. Existing wiring may be substituted.

should all car be allowed to remove wiring associated with a component which may be removed by these rules. would this create a problem.

how about all non-essential wiring may be removed.

How about Existing wiring may be substituted as long as that substitution does perform any other function.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

You're telling me that you had to check a box and pay more for speakers, on a base-model Nissan? 1966 Galaxie, I can believe that but Japanese-branded cars of that era??

K
    [/b]
    Dealer option.

I bought my 1991 Sentra SE-R new off the showroom floor with no radio or speakers.

I don't know Greg, the function of a speaker is obviously different than that of a door panel. And remember, just because a car faces a limitation like this (speaker mounted to door panel) doesn't mean you can force a legal mod (door panel removal) to facilitate an illegal one. I would say that if the speaker must remain and they are attached to the door panels then the panel, or a portion of it, must remain.

Does this earn me my rules nerd membership?

Oh, and that was a joke, but it does raise an interesting question.
    [/b]
    Well, Greg doesn't have that worry since his car came w/o radio.

However, if I had a car with speakers attached to the panels, I would certainly leave them attached to the panels......

In the garage.

In reality though, the rule should just be changed to allow radio and speakers to be removed.
    [/b]
    I heartily agree.

But it just goes to show how everyone seems to take some rules for granted.
    [/b]
    Yep.
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

You're telling me that you had to check a box and pay more for speakers, on a base-model Nissan? 1966 Galaxie, I can believe that but Japanese-branded cars of that era??

K
    [/b]
    I bought a 2004 Subaru Impreza STi that came with no radio or speakers from the factory except as an option - and very few came with that option almost all were delivered without the radio unless the dealer installed it.

Also had an 86 Nissan with no radio or speakers new of the factory floor.
    Ed.

I think you have an illegal hood scoop on the VW in that pic!!!!!
    edit your competition has an illegal hoodscoop!
    [/b]
    Finally somebody notices why I was being passed.

Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    2002, 2003, 2005 NYSRRC ITB Champs

Did anything come of this proposed rules change? It seems that wiring is the only major area omitted from the ITCS.

The reason I ask is that I have to relocated my fuse panel as it is right where the required driver's side front down tube mounts. While I'm relocating the fuse panel I would like to replace my GBC type fuses with more modern ATC type.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Quote Originally Posted by rsportvolvo View Post
    Did anything come of this proposed rules change? It seems that wiring is the only major area omitted from the ITCS.

The reason I ask is that I have to relocated my fuse panel as it is right where the required driver's side front down tube mounts. While I'm relocating the fuse panel I would like to replace my GBC type fuses with more modern ATC type.
    No this request was rejected.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

That sounds so cold!!!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

well
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

yea, I saw that coming a mile away.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com