Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost ready

The spec is for a 2" ID aperture - that way EV can quickly hook on to your vehicle with their tow vehicle without having to resort to various J-hooks that fit the factory opening (or in some cases, openings in the undercarriage). Its all about speed in collecting your car in an emergency. Every tow truck worth its salt has "the right stuff" on board but with a herd of nut jobs whizzing by your disabled car on a racetrack, that EV worker is more concerned about moving you NOW rather than searching for the proper hook.

In other words a 2" ID aperture is sufficient for most any tow vehicle hook from a tug-em strap to a winch hook to collect your car ASAP.

Not trying to piss in your Wheaties but having friends who run a towing service AND EV, I hear this drivel constantly - it must have sunk into the dark recesses of the cavity that I call a brain.
    [/b]

Ok, that clears it up, thanks.
    Driver School: Complete (April 2007)
    Regional License requirements: Complete (June 2007)
    Race Car: Renting, started building my own
    First Win: TBD (3rd in Pumpkin enduro! ITA)

What if I just cut one of the loops off and bolt or weld on a larger one? One on the front and one on the back?

Kinda funny I was moving a car in the yard behind the shop today, I hooked the tow strap to the stock loop(mk2), I pulled it a few feet and then it just broke right off! Reminded me of this thread. This was on grass, in nuetral, will full tires, going slow, and snap! So yeah, maybe the stock ones aren't all that great.

Kinda funny I was moving a car in the yard behind the shop today, I hooked the tow strap to the stock loop(mk2), I pulled it a few feet and then it just broke right off! Reminded me of this thread. This was on grass, in nuetral, will full tires, going slow, and snap! So yeah, maybe the stock ones aren't all that great.
    [/b]
    Yeah, maybe not. I guess a cable eye attached to the bumper mounting bolts would be a better idea.

Little update, belts in, exhaust work continues, fancy GRM number panels. I had flanges welded to the header and a downpipe made, just want to experiment with the exhaust now. I was thinking just a muffler with a downturn right in the middle of the car sort of where the picture ends, or off to the passenger side but that's longer, it will be quieter in the car but what is better for power? Short exhaust or a little longer? I ran it with no muffler just the way it is but it's really loud.

Looking good man. I will snap a few of my own tonight. The belts are in and I started checking all 4 corners just to find I have a seized up rear caliper. I guess thats good that I checked that now instead of after I bled out the entire system. So tomorrow I will order up a rebuild and hopefully have her all wrapped up later this week. I still have to get the new tires mounted later this week and finish mounting the ballast. My tow hook idea is idle and I think I may be changing my setup but soon to come on that.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

Looks Great!!!! Excited to run with you!!!

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

My ITC car with the 1.5 only makes 93db at Nelson's. It runs with a header to a straight pipe that is turned down right behind the drivers seat. No muffler at all. I know I've seen other VW's running there without a muffler too and not hit the noise limit. Just some food for thought.

It really does depend on the motor. A built 16v will hit sound if they dont do the exhaust right. My car was buildt for waterford hills, and I need to see what I come in for sound at the school. I am going to change that too after I get some opinions from others once I get her to the shop.

I feel like im taking two steps back for every step forward today. I got the replacement caliper and it turns out the siezed caliper killed the pads, so I go down to get a set of cheap pads and of course not in stock, wont have them till tomorrow or thursday. But I did my rust repair and now just waiting for the primer to dry so i can put a fresh coat of black on it.

pictures to come, I probably wont get to work on my ideas for the tow hooks untill after my school unless I manage to make some good progress on the through the week.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

My ITC car with the 1.5 only makes 93db at Nelson's. It runs with a header to a straight pipe that is turned down right behind the drivers seat. No muffler at all. I know I've seen other VW's running there without a muffler too and not hit the noise limit. Just some food for thought.
    [/b]
    Maybe it will be ok, it's tough to tell when it's running in my garage. I guess I'll just add the downturn and see how it goes at the school.

Maybe it will be ok, it's tough to tell when it's running in my garage. I guess I'll just add the downturn and see how it goes at the school.
    [/b]
    They'll just give you friendly notice at school

[/b]

That's cool, thanks. Saw your SE-R at HC, the h34r: work looks fantastic so far, I'll use them when I need my next one done or current one fixed.

[/b]
    If you're going to NHIS for your school, they will ask you to fix it or not come back. They're pretty strict about it.

That being said, I don't "think" you'll have much of a problem.

But, you may want to bring a back up plan. You don't want to "not finish" your first school.

Maybe have your down turn removable and get a cheap (Summit Racing?) performance muffler ready to bolt in. I think I paid $20 for the one on my GTi.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

UPDATE: I finished the exhaust, I bought a $25 Thrush glasspack and clamped it onto the downpipe I had fabricated, the muffler is so long I almost doubted it would fit, I had to cut the downpipe about 2" from where the bend meets the straight part, then clapmped the 28" long muffler onto the pipe, and cut a downturn out of the leftover bend material the guys at Hybrid Connection gave me. I clamped that piece on and hung it with a nice strong exhaust hanger from right at the end of the muffler. The result is a pretty quiet exhaust with hopefully little restriction. The muffler is 2.5" same as the pipe...and almost as long as the downpipe . It all fits perfectly and allows me to swap out the muffler when this one wears out easily.

Here is a short video, it seems louder in the vid...probably because it's only about 18" from the tip, but it's a pretty mellow sound that won't give me a headache.

Right click and save it. 1.4mb WMV

Sounds good man. all my parts are finally in. So tonight ill finish up the brakes and tuneup, tomorrow i will replace the bent control arm and mount my ballast. My exhaust is similar to yours with just a 22" glasspack in the center of the car, but the original owner ran at waterford hills so it goes all the way to the rear of the car and points away from sound. If john thinks I am better off changing it I will let him do it when the car comes home from the alignment rack.

Once I wash all the dirt from my excusion off the car I will post up some fresh pictures of inside and out. I been so busy with work and trying to get ready for my school in 2 weeks I feel like im going insane.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports