Thread: Intake Restrictor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Joe...

It's not just the restrictor itself...it's the clean implementation of it along with filtration/HFM/etc. into our intake tract.

Our space is severely limited with twists and turns from the OE intake position to the TB.

If we didn't need filtration it would be SIMPLE to implement the SIR...but...we do...so...it ain't.
    [/b]
    Indeed. A turnkey solution would be really cool, since I'm just a driver and not a race engineer.

The Raetech part looks like it's about 6.9 inches overall, though I suppose I'll eat about 0.75 inches on either end by inserting that into the hose. I guess I can get a couple of short sections of silicone tubing to get everything hooked-up, and put the SIR between my cone air filter and the MAF.

Is the part aluminum? Or hard rubber?

Hey Mike... The part is made from 6061 aluminum alloy and can also be had with a bellmouth end at 5.7" or such (tech drawing on the website).

Ideally, I would like the SIR to feed a voluminous airbox which feeds the HFM...space is the problem as well as the entry angle from the stock intake position by the rad however.

Indeed. A turnkey solution would be really cool, since I'm just a driver and not a race engineer.

The Raetech part looks like it's about 6.9 inches overall, though I suppose I'll eat about 0.75 inches on either end by inserting that into the hose. I guess I can get a couple of short sections of silicone tubing to get everything hooked-up, and put the SIR between my cone air filter and the MAF.

Is the part aluminum? Or hard rubber?
    [/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

So now it's your job (the forum's? the ITAC? I'm not sure who you are speaking for) to tell us where to purchase, when to purchase, and how to engineer the SIR? I am about to see Andy's black helicopters. If I was of a suspicious or conspiritorial nature, Raetech would be the last place I would purchase an SIR. Let the issue rest and allow us to engineer our own cars and support the vendors we choose. The first race date in the northeast is still 12 weeks away, I think I have time to make my own choices.

Hell with it, I'm going snowmobiling!!!
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

So now it's your job (the forum's? the ITAC? I'm not sure who you are speaking for) to tell us where to purchase, when to purchase, and how to engineer the SIR? I am about to see Andy's black helicopters. If I was of a suspicious or conspiritorial nature, Raetech would be the last place I would purchase an SIR. Let the issue rest and allow us to engineer our own cars and support the vendors we choose. The first race date in the northeast is still 12 weeks away, I think I have time to make my own choices.

Hell with it, I'm going snowmobiling!!!
    [/b]
    Hey Ed, I assume you are talking to me? Iam not telling anyone anything. I was actually trying to help with information that nobody else has offered. If you go read through all the BS in the other threads I have even offered to help anyone local fit this deal and help them at a dyno day to see what tuning it will need if any. I don't own any part of raetech and I am not in any official capacity on the ITAC or this forum. It was an offer of help and nothing more.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Hey Ed, I assume you are talking to me? Iam not telling anyone anything. I was actually trying to help with information that nobody else has offered. If you go read through all the BS in the other threads I have even offered to help anyone local fit this deal and help them at a dyno day to see what tuning it will need if any. I don't own any part of raetech and I am not in any official capacity on the ITAC or this forum. It was an offer of help and nothing more.
    [/b]
    joe, you clearly know ziltch about the engine compartment on a bmw. it isn't about "finding that 1hp" it is about figuring out how to fit the dang sir and an airfilter in a really small space without losing even more hp.

go play in your own forum area. you have offered to help in other threads, but what ever you intended here, you post didn't come off as helpful. it came off as insulting.

joe, you clearly know ziltch about the engine compartment on a bmw. it isn't about "finding that 1hp" it is about figuring out how to fit the dang sir and an airfilter in a really small space without losing even more hp.

go play in your own forum area. you have offered to help in other threads, but what ever you intended here, you post didn't come off as helpful. it came off as insulting.
    [/b]
    MR. Lytle, You have no idea how much I know about the E36 Bmw and it was a genuine offer of help. You want to be insulted i am very good at that also. Having actually physically seen and held and taken apart a raetech SIR i can bet I have more information than you do....The old saying about the difference between a porcupine and a BMW driver is starting to make sense....You all enjoy yourselfs I won't offer any further help.

BTW besides the other places you may stick it, I believe this will fit inside the cone filter that a lot of the E36's are running.

GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Hey Mike... The part is made from 6061 aluminum alloy and can also be had with a bellmouth end at 5.7" or such (tech drawing on the website).

Ideally, I would like the SIR to feed a voluminous airbox which feeds the HFM...space is the problem as well as the entry angle from the stock intake position by the rad however.
    [/b]
    The pictures on the site all look dark; so it's annodized aluminum, then?

I saw the drawings of the bellmouth part, but I don't understand the application. Is the idea that it would suck unfiltered air, then I'd have a filter inline, then go on to the MAF and throttle body?

On my car, I have plenty of vetical room -- straight down in front of the left front wheel well and behind the headlight assembly and bumper. I think the Dinan intake kits hang a filter all the way down there, for whatever reason.

Why do you think the airbox is important, buldogge?