Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Restrictor?

Who's making the Intake Restrictor that's now required for the E36 cars?

Who's making the Intake Restrictor that's now required for the E36 cars?
    [/b]
    Raetech is the one that I would buy if I was buying one. Look in the pissing match thread and you will find URL's
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

Raetech is the one that I would buy if I was buying one. Look in the pissing match thread and you will find URL's
    [/b]
    Mike,
    I concur with Joe, get it from Raetech.

you can get just the sir from raetech now and figure out the install, or you can wait a month while bimmerworld tries to figure out an sir "solution".

you can get just the sir from raetech now and figure out the install, or you can wait a month while bimmerworld tries to figure out an sir "solution".
    [/b]

Pleasse explain what majic bullet you think Bimmerworld is gonna come up with here? I am really curious what you think they are gonna find. Have any of you guys read the information on how an SIR works? Don't wait get the unit and install it. best case is somebody may come up with a 1 or 2HP gain BIG DEAL get it in the car and start testing the main thing your gonna need is seat time to work out how the lower peak power is gonna effect you. NOTHING Bimmerworld or anyone else can do will make up for seat time.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Joe...

It's not just the restrictor itself...it's the clean implementation of it along with filtration/HFM/etc. into our intake tract.

Our space is severely limited with twists and turns from the OE intake position to the TB.

If we didn't need filtration it would be SIMPLE to implement the SIR...but...we do...so...it ain't.

Pleasse explain what majic bullet you think Bimmerworld is gonna come up with here? I am really curious what you think they are gonna find. Have any of you guys read the information on how an SIR works? Don't wait get the unit and install it. best case is somebody may come up with a 1 or 2HP gain BIG DEAL get it in the car and start testing the main thing your gonna need is seat time to work out how the lower peak power is gonna effect you. NOTHING Bimmerworld or anyone else can do will make up for seat time.
    [/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Joe...

It's not just the restrictor itself...it's the clean implementation of it along with filtration/HFM/etc. into our intake tract.

Our space is severely limited with twists and turns from the OE intake position to the TB.

If we didn't need filtration it would be SIMPLE to implement the SIR...but...we do...so...it ain't.
    [/b]
    Indeed. A turnkey solution would be really cool, since I'm just a driver and not a race engineer.

The Raetech part looks like it's about 6.9 inches overall, though I suppose I'll eat about 0.75 inches on either end by inserting that into the hose. I guess I can get a couple of short sections of silicone tubing to get everything hooked-up, and put the SIR between my cone air filter and the MAF.

Is the part aluminum? Or hard rubber?

Hey Mike... The part is made from 6061 aluminum alloy and can also be had with a bellmouth end at 5.7" or such (tech drawing on the website).

Ideally, I would like the SIR to feed a voluminous airbox which feeds the HFM...space is the problem as well as the entry angle from the stock intake position by the rad however.

Indeed. A turnkey solution would be really cool, since I'm just a driver and not a race engineer.

The Raetech part looks like it's about 6.9 inches overall, though I suppose I'll eat about 0.75 inches on either end by inserting that into the hose. I guess I can get a couple of short sections of silicone tubing to get everything hooked-up, and put the SIR between my cone air filter and the MAF.

Is the part aluminum? Or hard rubber?
    [/b]
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

So now it's your job (the forum's? the ITAC? I'm not sure who you are speaking for) to tell us where to purchase, when to purchase, and how to engineer the SIR? I am about to see Andy's black helicopters. If I was of a suspicious or conspiritorial nature, Raetech would be the last place I would purchase an SIR. Let the issue rest and allow us to engineer our own cars and support the vendors we choose. The first race date in the northeast is still 12 weeks away, I think I have time to make my own choices.

Hell with it, I'm going snowmobiling!!!
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

So now it's your job (the forum's? the ITAC? I'm not sure who you are speaking for) to tell us where to purchase, when to purchase, and how to engineer the SIR? I am about to see Andy's black helicopters. If I was of a suspicious or conspiritorial nature, Raetech would be the last place I would purchase an SIR. Let the issue rest and allow us to engineer our own cars and support the vendors we choose. The first race date in the northeast is still 12 weeks away, I think I have time to make my own choices.

Hell with it, I'm going snowmobiling!!!
    [/b]
    Hey Ed, I assume you are talking to me? Iam not telling anyone anything. I was actually trying to help with information that nobody else has offered. If you go read through all the BS in the other threads I have even offered to help anyone local fit this deal and help them at a dyno day to see what tuning it will need if any. I don't own any part of raetech and I am not in any official capacity on the ITAC or this forum. It was an offer of help and nothing more.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Hey Ed, I assume you are talking to me? Iam not telling anyone anything. I was actually trying to help with information that nobody else has offered. If you go read through all the BS in the other threads I have even offered to help anyone local fit this deal and help them at a dyno day to see what tuning it will need if any. I don't own any part of raetech and I am not in any official capacity on the ITAC or this forum. It was an offer of help and nothing more.
    [/b]
    joe, you clearly know ziltch about the engine compartment on a bmw. it isn't about "finding that 1hp" it is about figuring out how to fit the dang sir and an airfilter in a really small space without losing even more hp.

go play in your own forum area. you have offered to help in other threads, but what ever you intended here, you post didn't come off as helpful. it came off as insulting.

joe, you clearly know ziltch about the engine compartment on a bmw. it isn't about "finding that 1hp" it is about figuring out how to fit the dang sir and an airfilter in a really small space without losing even more hp.

go play in your own forum area. you have offered to help in other threads, but what ever you intended here, you post didn't come off as helpful. it came off as insulting.
    [/b]
    MR. Lytle, You have no idea how much I know about the E36 Bmw and it was a genuine offer of help. You want to be insulted i am very good at that also. Having actually physically seen and held and taken apart a raetech SIR i can bet I have more information than you do....The old saying about the difference between a porcupine and a BMW driver is starting to make sense....You all enjoy yourselfs I won't offer any further help.

BTW besides the other places you may stick it, I believe this will fit inside the cone filter that a lot of the E36's are running.

GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

Hey Mike... The part is made from 6061 aluminum alloy and can also be had with a bellmouth end at 5.7" or such (tech drawing on the website).

Ideally, I would like the SIR to feed a voluminous airbox which feeds the HFM...space is the problem as well as the entry angle from the stock intake position by the rad however.
    [/b]
    The pictures on the site all look dark; so it's annodized aluminum, then?

I saw the drawings of the bellmouth part, but I don't understand the application. Is the idea that it would suck unfiltered air, then I'd have a filter inline, then go on to the MAF and throttle body?

On my car, I have plenty of vetical room -- straight down in front of the left front wheel well and behind the headlight assembly and bumper. I think the Dinan intake kits hang a filter all the way down there, for whatever reason.

Why do you think the airbox is important, buldogge?

Joe,

I hesitate to respond since the prior few posts took the conversation over the top and well beyond any level I would prefer. However, the point I would make is that you should not berate a poster for suggesting that Bimmerworld,or any other vendor, would have a turn key solution soon. I, and I am sure many of us, are not engineers or have degrees in hydrodynamics. I am a racer and a businessman. I would much prefer to wait for turnkey solutions that have been engineered and tested on an E36 ITS car than to purchase an SIR and strike out on my own. I have many questions concerning the optimum placement and installation that are beyond my knowledge and experience. I welcome here any opinions and/or knowledgable truths to the following questions concerning the optimum SIR design and installation (and yes, given the choice, 1 or 2 horsepower is important, especially if I am spending the same amount of money):

1. Where in the intake track should the SIR be placed in relation to the air filter, MAF,and TB?
    2. What is the optimum distance from the TB? (I know, its a redundant question.)
    3. Should the installation include an airbox?
    4. Of so, what size, dimensions, and placement?
    5. With a free intake, what should the materials and dimensions be of the intake? (I personnally believe the rule change to allow a non-stock intake was a prelude to the SIR. This is not a conspiritorial claim, only giving credit to the CRB for forethought.)
    6. What is the best location and air draw point for the SIR?

I am sure I will have more questions as I learn more about the SIR. I did see your genuine offer to assist in the engineering and testing and hope you will not withdraw that offer in spite. If I were close to your shop I would give it serious consideration. But in Maine, I'm not close to anything but snow and the snowmobile trails.

To all of my fellow racers, lets make this thread a positive thread concerning the SIR and leave the arguements, both pro and con, for discussion elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Joe,

I hesitate to respond since the prior few posts took the conversation over the top and well beyond any level I would prefer. However, the point I would make is that you should not berate a poster for suggesting that Bimmerworld,or any other vendor, would have a turn key solution soon. I, and I am sure many of us, are not engineers or have degrees in hydrodynamics. I am a racer and a businessman. I would much prefer to wait for turnkey solutions that have been engineered and tested on an E36 ITS car than to purchase an SIR and strike out on my own. I have many questions concerning the optimum placement and installation that are beyond my knowledge and experience. I welcome here any opinions and/or knowledgable truths to the following questions concerning the optimum SIR design and installation (and yes, given the choice, 1 or 2 horsepower is important, especially if I am spending the same amount of money):
    1. Where in the intake track should the SIR be placed in relation to the air filter, MAF,and TB?
    2. What is the optimum distance from the TB? (I know, its a redundant question.)
    3. Should the installation include an airbox?
    4. Of so, what size, dimensions, and placement?
    5. With a free intake, what should the materials and dimensions be of the intake? (I personnally believe the rule change to allow a non-stock intake was a prelude to the SIR. This is not a conspiritorial claim, only giving credit to the CRB for forethought.)
    6. What is the best location and air draw point for the SIR?
    I am sure I will have more questions as I learn more about the SIR. I did see your genuine offer to assist in the engineering and testing and hope you will not withdraw that offer in spite. If I were close to your shop I would give it serious consideration. But in Maine, I'm not close to anything but snow and the snowmobile trails.

To all of my fellow racers, lets make this thread a positive thread concerning the SIR and leave the arguements, both pro and con, for discussion elsewhere.

Thanks,
    [/b]
    ED , I am sorry if thats how that was taken it ws not meant to be. The point I was stressing is do some home work and you will see that as far as flow goes you will have a hard time out flowing this design. I did not mean to come off as it looks like it was taken in my response to you. As far as my last post goes Iwill stand by it. I like anyone else give what I get.

Mike, The picture I posted looks as though you could put the SIR inside a cone type filter and connect both to the end of your existing intake pipe. This would allow all air to be filtered and you could pull the airfilter off for the kill test in impound.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

My guess is ( and Joe help me out here if I am wrong ) but the SIR needs distance from the MAF, maybe as much down stream as possible and a really big airbox just past the SIR should help, the SIR should draw cold air away from the radiator somehow but with care if you race in the rain alot and plan to draw air down low a la Dinan. My .02
    Fred Alphin
    "Big leisure money seeker"
    #92 Hankook Tire soon to be ITB? ITA?
    Damn economy...

zchris
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

You bimmer guys, watch out for Joe. I think Dave F and him must be buddy butt plugs the way he pushes Finches product.

My guess is ( and Joe help me out here if I am wrong ) but the SIR needs distance from the MAF, maybe as much down stream as possible and a really big airbox just past the SIR should help, the SIR should draw cold air away from the radiator somehow but with care if you race in the rain alot and plan to draw air down low a la Dinan. My .02
    [/b]

Sorry Fred, I am done offering anything for free, Idiots like Chris make it impossible to want help. Again I have no interest in Raetech or their products I am not a dealer and I own no stock. I am just sick of whining uncompetitve trolls like Chris Howard that thinnk this club owes them something. Go to the GT site and you will see he has been agaist and whined about SIRs for the last 2 years.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z

ED , I am sorry if thats how that was taken it ws not meant to be. The point I was stressing is do some home work and you will see that as far as flow goes you will have a hard time out flowing this design.[/b]
    We are doing our homework, Joe -- it&#39;s just that we prefer to do our homework together. Many hands make lighter lifting, and if I can learn from or with someone else, it&#39;s a more enjoyable experience. Forums like these facilitate the experience. If you&#39;d like to help, we&#39;d love to hear from you. But would be lots easier to listen if you weren&#39;t so hostile.

Mike, The picture I posted looks as though you could put the SIR inside a cone type filter and connect both to the end of your existing intake pipe. This would allow all air to be filtered and you could pull the airfilter off for the kill test in impound.
    [/b]
    Ah, I see; that&#39;s an interesting plan. Does the bell unscrew from that end of the SIR? The explosion diagram implies that it does, but none of the drawings show threads on any of those surfaces.

The cone filter I run has a steel base and I&#39;m pretty sure it&#39;s glued to the foam of the filter. It slips into the intake air pipe and fastens with a pipe clamp, then just hangs there. I can get some Samco silicon tube and a bend, and make it shorter--or maybe use a 45-degree elbow and let the length of the restrictor do the rest of the distance.

But I don&#39;t see how I&#39;d fasten the filter to either the bell end or the hose end; the aluminum filter won&#39;t deform and seal in a pipe clamp, and the bell end can&#39;t be fastened to the steel base of the cone filter.

Maybe I&#39;ll end up with a three-inch coupler between them. I&#39;ll have to take some measurements when the car comes back from the body shop tomorrow.

Originally posted by zchris

the way he pushes Finches product.
    If you&#39;d care to recommend another supplier, Chris, I&#39;m all ears.