Thread: NASA PS is retired, new classing for IT crossovers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Don't forget that NASA has a national spec Toyo RA1 this year. Unless the class you run in has a rule that circumvents it, you have to run the Toyo.
    If you want to run at their "National Championship" race at Mid Ohio, you MUST run the Toyo.

Don't expect NASA to be "IT friendly." They have a severe complex when it comes to SCCA drivers coming to their races and whipping their "regular" folks asses. Top NASA officials have not been shy about publicly stating that they aren't all that interested in crossover drivers from SCCA.
    I'm surprised the even bothered to go through all that stuff Greg mentioned to try to work SCCA cars in.
    [/b]

Look, I know you are not a fan of NASA but come on, let's keep the mis-information to a minimum huh?

For your information, NASA has been doing everything they can to make sure that they have as much scca crossover as they can get. If you remember, NASA is a BUSINESS. Crossover means more money for the organization and the region. It wouldn't be too smart to exclude a sizeable section of the racing public.

Please point out the public statements that NASA isn't interested in crossover please.

Jason Holland
    NASA SE SM Director

As an actual NASA PS3 entrant, I was pretty bent about the new category and have keyboard-shaped dents in my forehead from trying to fill out that form. (It is an evolution of a swiped IRS worksheet, I think.)

I understand the concept of easing the transition from TT to road racing but I have a suspicion that, particularly if this catches on and people get serious about running PT (like at a "national championship" event?), it's going to become pretty clear why nobody has done this kind of thing for a heads-up racing category before.

NASA is going to need some serious review of policy and practices to support this thing. For example, I've been told that each entrant is supposed to provide a current spec sheet with EACH race entry, so they can be kept on file and available to others for review. (If I have no idea what Billy Bob is supposed to have done to his Pinto, how do I know if he's legal or not?)

It's also conceivable that I could make ONE modification that bumps me into a higher class, part way through the season (EDIT - or even change tire brands!). The solution recommended to me was to artificially declare my minimum weight, such that i get put in the class I'll ultimately want to gain season points in. (Remember, that we are trying to qualify for the Nationals, right?)

Hmm.

K

I understand the concept of easing the transition from TT to road racing but I have a suspicion that, particularly if this catches on and people get serious about running PT (like at a "national championship" event?), it's going to become pretty clear why nobody has done this kind of thing for a heads-up racing category before.

NASA is going to need some serious review of policy and practices to support this thing. For example, I've been told that each entrant is supposed to provide a current spec sheet with EACH race entry, so they can be kept on file and available to others for review. (If I have no idea what Billy Bob is supposed to have done to his Pinto, how do I know if he's legal or not?)

K
    [/b]
    Kirk,

You don't think people would LIE (i.e. be less than truthful) about mods that you can't see (engine, diffs, etc.), do you?

When I first read this, I thought it was a spoof...but then I realized it was REAL! :119:

Boy, I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the "tech shed" at the NASA "national championships".

MC
    Mark Coffin
    #14 FP VW Scirocco
    Former ITC roustabout...