Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about a change of pace??

As Dangerous Dave mentioned, the food at Chez Summit is top-notch for race track cuisine...I heartily recommend the beef barbeque sangwidge. Nicest track staff on the planet at Summit (Don't think I've met Dave....he could be the exception....).

VIR/Danville - track food is excellent, by race track standards. In town, the Mexican place already mentioned is great, as is "Joe & Mimmas", an Italian place in the rear of one of the strip malls on the north side of 58...I think it's opposite K-mart or Walmart or some mart-thing. Our own enduro team refers to it as "Joe's Enema"...but that's a study in our own bad taste, rather than a comment on their food. There is ALWAYS a line waiting to get in.

Pocono ? Pack a lunch. Or better yet, go somewhere else.

Mid-O ? Take 71 north to Ashland, get off and head west ~1-2 miles and find 'La Fiesta Mexicana'...or something like that...on the north side of the road. Family owned...I think Grandma is out back cooking...best Mexican I've had north of Tiujuana. Really outstanding. Really.

Nelson ? Well...I love the track...really neat track....really like the track....

The Glen ? Jerlando's on the main drag thru town...good Italian food...great 'puttanesca'. Always a line out front. If you've got some money to spend, Red Newt Cellars in Hector - up 414 on the east side of the lake - outstanding food, and the bartender knows how to serve a correct 'black & tan' draft. Track food has become more palatable in the last few years, but I'm boycotting it until they bring back 'curly fries'. They used to have great curly fries (going back a decade or so...)

Mosport ? Drive to Oshawa...or Toronto...otherwise there is no hope. There is a Tim Hortons directly between the track and 'the 401', do you can get your donut & coffee buzz.

Mont Tremblant ? Impossible to get a bad meal in that area. Bring larger pants.

Sebring ? Is the 'Gator' place what I think of when I think 'garlic toxicity' ? If so...go there. Bring breath mints.

For a sit down north of Summit Point, I reccomend Avanti, which is one block north of the main intersection in Charles Town, WV. Very good italian and some greek food too. For diner fare, it may be housed in the same building, but the Mountain View diner in Charles Town is way way way better than Denny's ever dreamed to be.

Originally posted by JohnRW@Jan 25 2006, 01:05 PM
    As Dangerous Dave mentioned, the food at Chez Summit is top-notch for race track cuisine...I heartily recommend the beef barbeque sangwidge. Nicest track staff on the planet at Summit (Don't think I've met Dave....he could be the exception.)
    I am the exception to EVERY rule.

Management at Summit Point has made it a point to instill in all the employees to make the users (customers) of the facility feel comfortable and want to come back.
    Lets face it, there are plenty of tracks in the country that flat out don't care if you ever want to come back. Some of them have great racetracks in their facility. I can think of one in particular that has "blue bushes" all the way around.

James
    I bring my own coffee from home. Having lived in Jefferson County,WV. for ten years I can tell you that ALL the water is brown, so it may be straight water that your drinking there.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker

"Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Dave I did better, last year I brought the coffee and a 1 gallon jug of water. But since the trailer only had a 4 cup pot im bringing my 10 cup spare coffee maker this year so I can be sure to have enough caffine to open my eyes at 8am.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

James
    There is a better way to wake up on Sunday its called "Hardship Practice".

cheers
    "dangerous" dave
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Dave up and moving and mentally awake are two things. Plus I hope to not need to ask for a hardship practice thank you very much.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

We supplied it and the hog head cheese

We probably don't want to tell these ole boys what Hogs Head Cheese is made from

Although with the ARRC in Atlanta some might know.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Originally posted by pgipson@Jan 25 2006, 08:20 PM
    We probably don't want to tell these ole boys what Hogs Head Cheese is made from

[snapback]72193[/snapback]

Originally posted by pgipson@Jan 26 2006, 02:20 AM

[snapback]72193[/snapback]
    As with most delicacies, it's never a good idea to ask what's in the mix, but only to enjoy the final product. After all, do you really have to know what's in Spam?
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

One thing I forgot...the breakfast burritos at TWS. Low price, excellent variety, and always hot. Really good at the cold Double National in February!
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Hmmm... In MiDiv:

GIR...Concessions beyond blow...always have...Mi Tierra is just around the corner in Fairmount City...real Mexican...zero English....VERY good. Besides you have all of St. louis at your disposal...we have an EXCELLENT restaurant scene!

HPT...Track food is pretty decent, including a grilled chicken wrap. Just up Topeka Blvd is a place called Glory Days Pizza that is pretty good...AVOID Casa Mexican at all costs (hurtin&#39!

MAM...Track food is passable. Pretty decent eating in downtown Omaha including a NY pizza joint and some good steak houses.

Hallet... The cafe really is your best option...the food in the towns nearby simply sucks. If you drive into Tulsa please patronize The PieHole (VERY good pizza...fellow scooterist owned)!

Memphis...Just down the street from the track is a pretty darn good Cajun joint...but...I never go to Memphis without going to Corky's!!!

Did someone mention food...
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Originally posted by dave parker@Jan 25 2006, 02:30 PM

James
    I bring my own coffee from home. Having lived in Jefferson County,WV. for ten years I can tell you that ALL the water is brown, so it may be straight water that your drinking there.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker
    [snapback]72119[/snapback]
    I remember spilling some coffee one Sunday morning at Bridgehampton and watching the sand bubble! Like acid on a hood!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

A little taste of the Midwest.

Road America: Great brats and italians. Go for the double brat at lunch ! Take a left when leaving the track to Harvey's in Elkhart Lake. Very good fish fry.

Blackhawk Farms: Try to avoid the track shack. OK for a hot dog, but don't wander too far from there. Not much else going on in Beloit IL.

IRP: Complete pass on track food, bring your own. Funny cuz inside the oval on Friday nites is a KILLER pork tendeloin sandwich.

Mid-Ohio: Always like the McTrueman sandwiches for breakfast, grilled chicken sandwich with mushrooms for lunch. Mexican place in Lexington, across from the grocery store. Pretty good and reasonable prices.

Memphis: Don't know about the track food, we always have brought our own, but the Sat. BBQ party is very good. Thanks Mid-South Region. If that's not enough a trip to Corky's for BBQ is a good bet. If you have some time, travel into Memphis for a tour of Sun Records. Pretty cool and only about 30 minutes or so from the track.

St. Louis: Alot of stuff to do in town, not much to say about food in the near surrounding area. Track food is OK. Pretty decent Mexican place up the Interstate at exit 11, can't remember the name but it's there on the North side of the highway. Big place, hard to miss.

Heartland Park: Hamburgers at the track very good, very nice workers at the stand. BBQ joint in a mini-strip mall near the new Super 8 hotel about 2 minutes from the track that's pretty good chow.

Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

Originally posted by RacerBill@Jan 26 2006, 08:03 AM
    I remember spilling some coffee one Sunday morning at Bridgehampton and watching the sand bubble! Like acid on a hood!
    [snapback]72250[/snapback]

Oh my God, I had almost forgotten about the track coffee at the Bridge!!!

Originally posted by RacerBill@Jan 26 2006, 10:03 AM
    [snapback]72250[/snapback]

Yes but did it taste like coffee or like hot water with a hint of coffee?
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports

Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 25 2006, 02:41 AM
    I have to say, expense notwithstanding, that Lime Rocks food has been, over the years, pretty darn good. And the Black Boat (Canoe?) resturaunt in town is pretty good as well.

On the other hand, I consider going to Pocono in the same genre as a moon shot. TAKE everything with you, as nothing there is edible. IMHO, LOL.

I hear Road America has some famous Brats....gotta get out there someday.
    [snapback]71993[/snapback]
    Jake,
    Come on out!! You can stay at my place. I'm only about 40 mins from the track or I have a buddy that has a house in downtown Elkhart that is right on the lake. We could stagger out of Siebkins ( the greatest racing bar in the country). Yes the brats at the track are great but, so our the "Egger" breakfast sandwichs.
    We cook out at the track and most times have a big spread for any and all to enjoy.

Bob

On a different note: What the h**l is this thing by my name that has "warn" and 4 blocks on it? I know someone said something about it before but I, cannot find it.

Heartland Park - the BBQ joint is called Pat's Pig.
    Blind Tiger is a little further in town, decent food and a microbrewery. Not that anyone around here cares about beer.....

MAM - I think I've eaten lunch there once in 4 years. The last couple of years we've had a Friday night "welcome to the track" party put on initially by us Des Moines Valley SM drivers, but it's expanding to include other classes and regions. Last couple of times have been BBQ, but we've had spaghetti sauce cookoffs and a couple other things.

If you're coming to MAM, you're welcome to join us. EVERYONE is welcome. If you want a guarantee of food, get there by 7:30 or so; if you want to socialize, get there before 2 a.m. or so. :119: I think we've funded the end-of-season party for the track staff the last two years with our empties from this night alone.... (5 cents apiece in Iowa)

Blackhawk - there's a good Mexican place and a decent bar & grill in Rockton. I was just along for the ride, so I don't remember specifics like names or locations.....

St. Louis - just ask someone at the track. There are PLENTY of good places to eat.

Road America - do we start the debate on which stand has the better brats now or later?

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Originally posted by JIgou@Jan 26 2006, 09:35 AM
    Heartland Park - the BBQ joint is called Pat's Pig.
    Yep, that's the place. Thanks Jarrod.
    Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

One other place in Memphis is pretty good. It's actually in Middleton, but so's the track. Place called "Number One Chinese Buffet"...really...that's the name. Most excellent place to get a plate of take out whatever and go back to the motel after a Friday practice. Food's good, cheap, and plentiful. Nooo MSG! We usually get a plate each of different stuff and pass it around the room.

Damn! It's starting to sound like the only reason I race is to eat out!

Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Originally posted by JamesB@Jan 26 2006, 02:52 PM
    Yes but did it taste like coffee or like hot water with a hint of coffee?
    [snapback]72265[/snapback]
    That's another thing I forgot. At the ARRC, there are only two types of coffee we drink. In the pits, before each day (more if it's cold), it's Community Dark Roast from Louisiana. On Saturday night, it's Irish Coffee from Satan's pot in turn 5. Anything else is just hot dirty water that you can read a newspaper through.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic