Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How about a change of pace??

yeah, those that have the coffee I make usually comment 'James likes it strong enough to walk to work with him.'

Throw some balieys in it at the end of the day and now your talking about a good march warm me up.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

(RacerBill @ Jan 26 2006, 08:03 AM)
    I remember spilling some coffee one Sunday morning at Bridgehampton and watching the sand bubble! Like acid on a hood!

Oh my God, I had almost forgotten about the track coffee at the Bridge!!!
    Until I read this post I thought that I had managed to put those memories behind me as well....urp! I always figured that if the locals didn't get the track shut down the EPA would for that brew.

However, as noted above, the brats at Road America were every bit as good as Peter Egan had written that they were going to be.

And + whatever to the staff at Summit who are courteous, polite, and make nice food. Too bad the apple groves are gone, because the Empire apples they sold and grew there were a staple of a Summit Point weekend for me for years.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Originally posted by Wreckerboy@Jan 26 2006, 12:01 PM
    Too bad the apple groves are gone, because the Empire apples they sold and grew there were a staple of a Summit Point weekend for me for years.
    [snapback]72309[/snapback]
    The orchards are still there but no one maintains them. I picked two buckets of apples in late October of 2005. I ended up throwing most of them into the woods behind the track store for the deer because they were worm infested (the deer are even better tasting than the apples). The two or three that were edible were tasty. It is too bad that the orchard was not financially viable. Mr. Scott donated crates of apples to the Jefferson County School system that I think most people had no idea how good they were or how rare some of the varieties were. Mr. Scott also made apple wine too, he gave the wife and I a bottle one year. It was suberb.

The last I heard about the orchards was that they were going to make that a Homeland Security training area, complete with a airplane fuselage. Which I think the only way they could do that would be to bulldoze the trees. A shame.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker

"Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Summit Point: lunch at Chez Summit, dinner at Avanti in Charlestown. I've heard the buffet at the horse track is very good, will have to try it some day. Lots of places in Winchester, from steak to seafood to Italian to Mexican, to pub food.

Beaver Run: bring your own lunch. For dinner, try the Quaker Stake and Lube at exit 3 - lots of fun and where else can you eat UNDER a Corvette or Healey 3000? There is also a very good Italian restaurant just past the turnpike entrance, can't think of the name right now.

Pocono: bring your own lunch or a ton of money. The food won't kill you, but you sure won't brag about it either. If in the mood for an expensive dinner, I'd highly recommend the restaurant at the Blakeslee Inn. You don't have to dress up for it on a race weekend. Even if wearing jeans and a clean tee-shirt, they still provide excellent service, and the food is outstanding. Entrees are around $25. There are quite a number of decent restaurants around the track, I've tried many and rarely had a bad dinner. There are also pizza and sub places, including a decent one in Blakeslee.

Nelson Ledges: as another poster said, I really like the track.

Lime Rock: about like Pocono for lunch. For a filling, inexpensive dinner, I often stop at the Sharon Diner (not sure that's the correct name, but it's in the little shopping area across from the gas station and Sharon Motor Lodge). The food is decent diner style. Warning, it closes early. I haven't found many inexpensive close places, usually have to do some travelling or pay a high price and dress decently (not jeans).

Let's see, there is always the Hooters across the street from Daytona International Speedway...

Regarding Mexican east of Texas, the wife and I agree that Maria Bonita on Ridgewood in Daytona is the best we've found since leaving southern California.

Speaking of the ARRCs........

I was down this fall, and the announcer came on the PA to hurry anyone who wanted food to get there because they were closing in about 20 mins.... Good idea! Thanks for the warning. 5 minutes later (and about 15 before the warned closing time) I was in the building asking about a burger.."Grills off" I was told. "Ok, what else I ask?".
    "How about a soda?" she offers.

Gee....thanks...worth the walk....not.

Listen if you're going to close at 3 or 4 or whatever, close at 3 or 4 or whatever. I really don't care if you want to LEAVE at 3 or 4 or whatever. If thats the case, then advertise that the place closes at 2:45 or 3:45 or whatever.

Sorry about the rant, but it wasn't the first time for that to happen.

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by charrbq@Jan 26 2006, 11:47 AM
    One other place in Memphis is pretty good. It's actually in Middleton, but so's the track. Place called "Number One Chinese Buffet"...really...that's the name.
    [snapback]72301[/snapback]

Not Middleton, Millington. Middleton is about 50 miles east. <_<

Originally posted by ITANorm@Jan 27 2006, 03:38 PM
    Not Middleton, Millington. Middleton is about 50 miles east. <_<
    [snapback]72489[/snapback]
    Sorry, memory time out...a blonde moment.
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

For spectator events, the Cajun Queen stand at Road America has really good red beans and rice. They also have really good breakfast food (I like their egg sandwhiches with Canadian bacon and their hashbrowns). The &#39;eggers&#39; at the Gearbox are great too, but I prefer mine with ham instead of a brat patty. Just about all of the stands have great brats. When it is in season, the roasted corn is good too. The chicken dinner served by the Milwaukee region at the Cat National is some of the best.

At Blackhawk, there are two really good pizza joints nearby. The first is Anna Marie&#39;s in South Beloit (you pass it on the way in to the track) and the second is Sam&#39;s in Rockton. I prefer Sam&#39;s (been going there at least once a year since my dad first started racing in the mid 70&#39;s), but both are good.

There are also two good Chinese places, but I don&#39;t recall the names. One is around the corner from Anna Marie&#39;s and the other is in Rockton. Both are quite good.

The place with pretty good Mexican food is Alvarez&#39;s located in the little strip mall just south of Micky D&#39;s in South Beloit. It&#39;s better (IMHO) than the other joint that you pass on Shirland.
    2002 Cen-Div ITC Champ
    (Converted to G-Prod in 2003)
    (Bumped to H-Prod in 2008)
    2008, 2011 HP Cen-Div Champ
    2011 HP National Champ