Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about a change of pace??

Noticing the tone on the board has been intense lately I thought a light post may help us to smile and get along.

So much of our race weekend involves socializing with friends and family I was wondering if any one had any must have racetrack staples.....besides beer.

Maybe a lucky meal or a place you just gotta go to when in the vicinity of the track.

Or even something not to eat at the track (Mexican?) McDonald's breakfast comes to my mind!!

Let's hear it!

R

Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I have to say, expense notwithstanding, that Lime Rocks food has been, over the years, pretty darn good. And the Black Boat (Canoe?) resturaunt in town is pretty good as well.

On the other hand, I consider going to Pocono in the same genre as a moon shot. TAKE everything with you, as nothing there is edible. IMHO, LOL.

I hear Road America has some famous Brats....gotta get out there someday.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 24 2006, 07:41 PM
    I have to say, expense notwithstanding, that Lime Rocks food has been, over the years, pretty darn good. And the Black Boat (Canoe?) resturaunt in town is pretty good as well.

On the other hand, I consider going to Pocono in the same genre as a moon shot. TAKE everything with you, as nothing there is edible. IMHO, LOL.

I hear Road America has some famous Brats....gotta get out there someday.
    [snapback]71993[/snapback]
    Doesn't matter where I have been Applebees is always a favorite stop. Portlands trak food sucks. We normally have good food in the motorhome and Deb does a great job keeping everyone full of food.
    GTL Nissan Sentra
    DP 240sx
    Vintage BS 510
    ITS 240z
    I just type like a pompous ass!
    http://www.saveclubracing.com

AZ Region used to have a deal with a local guy (Mr. Mort's for anyone that remembers) that was good. Great polish and italian sausage, burgers cooked to order. Good stuff. He was at all of our races.

Then, AMP opened and they had a track selected caterer. Had to use them, no one else allowed.

Then PIR started on the same thing -- use the track concessionaire. The first time they came out, I think they expected NASCAR. The next time they had 2 16 yr olds working a single stand. Greasy and barely edible :angry:

Then Firebird gets on the bandwagon. You gotta use our guy. But their guy is a F******* "roach coach". And he has a $600 per day minimum that the club has to cover. :angry:

I have taken to bringing these "tuna lunch packs" More healthy anyway.

But man do I miss those sausages that Mr Mort had.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Most all races are the cooler full of sandwich stuff to save time and money waiting in line for a $5 burger, etc. Evening varies with the track. Daytona has the Light House on the beach that steps straight out of a Hemingway novel. Texas World Speedway used to have Fajita Rita's and Tom's Barbeque, but they went away, so now it's Wings and More. Memphis Motorsports Park has the family style barbeque on Saturday nights that is one of the best reasons for racing there.

But...I'm sure others will back me on this...the very best place to eat at a race track only happens once a year at the ARRC. That's when Francis, our racing cook, prepares his feasts for the masses. There's the jambalaya on Thursday nights and the gumbo on Friday nights...both full of meats and warmth on a cool fall night. Sometimes we have things like red fish or deer meat sauce picant'. Of course there's the occassional spicy, lean 1/2 lb. hamburger. But the very best was this last year when lunch was fried speckled trout smothered with crawfish etouffee. Good thing that was a test day and not qualifying!
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I can't remember the name of the joint, but one of the very best Mexican places I've ever been to is in Danville, VA near the motels that were SOP for VIR, until the newer places to stay opened on the east side of 29.

But the BEST track food ever used to be had at the mobile weiner cart that used to set up when we raced at the Olympia (WA) airport circuit, back in the '80s. I used to start the day with a kraut-smothered knockwurst for breakfast, as soon as they came out of the beer pot and went on the grill.

K

Edit - that cajun rice sausage stuff at the ARRC infield bash this fall was freakin' AWESOME, too.

You ,know I could never tell you about the food around Summit Point or VIR. We have chef Mo. She is our paddock mom ensuring that all drivers and 'crew' have more then enough food to eat every day. Actually I think her cooking started my slow 6 month weight gain over last season.

I have to say that by VIR there was a mexican place way downtown, I have no idea how we got there and I was lost on the way back too, I just followed the car with numbers (It was an HPDE event) back to the hotel.

--
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

When at Sebring, the breakfast sandwiches from the at track concession are great. Lots of artery clogging guaranteed!!

For dinner, I recommend RJ Gators. The food is good, and our service has always been great. As if that isn't enough, they ALWAYS have a birthday party for my favorite Honda guy from Georgia.
    Jim Cohen
    ITS 66
    CFR

Originally posted by charrbq@Jan 24 2006, 11:18 PM

But...I'm sure others will back me on this...the very best place to eat at a race track only happens once a year at the ARRC. That's when Francis, our racing cook, prepares his feasts for the masses. There's the jambalaya on Thursday nights and the gumbo on Friday nights...both full of meats and warmth on a cool fall night. Sometimes we have things like red fish or deer meat sauce picant'. Of course there's the occassional spicy, lean 1/2 lb. hamburger. But the very best was this last year when lunch was fried speckled trout smothered with crawfish etouffee. Good thing that was a test day and not qualifying!
    [snapback]72008[/snapback]
    I must agree...thats why I park there every year!!! the test day lunch was by far the best trackside meal I ever had...I ate so much I was thinking of it when I was on the back stretch...hmmm I whonder if there is any left...went back and cleaned the pan....awesome! and the Sat PM bash was incredible with Irish coffee in the 20 degree weather. The OPM boys prepped a fried turkey at the turkey trot this year....pretty darn good!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

Originally posted by Knestis@Jan 25 2006, 03:33 AM
    I can't remember the name of the joint, but one of the very best Mexican places I've ever been to is in Danville, VA near the motels that were SOP for VIR, until the newer places to stay opened on the east side of 29.

But the BEST track food ever used to be had at the mobile weiner cart that used to set up when we raced at the Olympia (WA) airport circuit, back in the '80s. I used to start the day with a kraut-smothered knockwurst for breakfast, as soon as they came out of the beer pot and went on the grill.

K

Edit - that cajun rice sausage stuff at the ARRC infield bash this fall was freakin' AWESOME, too.
    [snapback]72012[/snapback]
    The "Cajun rice sausage" is called "Boudin"..pronounced boo-dan. Glad you enjoyed it. We supplied it and the hog head cheese. The rest of the food was from the Louisiana/Georgia hosts. The Irish Coffee was made by Satan, so I've heard. It's too good to be made by humans and is too mean the next day to be considered safe. :P
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Boudin - mmmm. One of the few Cajun treats I actually like.

I'll second Memphis' BBQ.

Probably the best at-the-track food around the middle of the country is from the Starting Line Cafe - at Hallett.

You forgot cheap "box wine" as a track staple.

One of the better things we've found as munchies for the troops is mini egg rolls done in the Convection oven. (Well . . . we are lucky enough to have a motorhome. But since we race only about 4 weekends a year and work over a dozen it was the best "compromise".)

NOT to eat before a race: I'll 2nd Mexican.

Originally posted by Knestis@Jan 24 2006, 08:33 PM
    ...one of the very best Mexican places I've ever been to is in Danville, VA
    [snapback]72012[/snapback]
    WHAT? You've GOT to be kidding me! I've never had a decent Mexican meal east of Big Spring, Tx or north of the New Mexico state line.

The best track food I recall was from Mo, the concession operator at 2nd creek raceway in Denver (before it closed). I'm not sure where in Louisiana he was from, but it couldn't have been too far north of the gulf.

Mmm, red beans and rice for lunch...
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Originally posted by ITANorm@Jan 24 2006, 11:52 PM
    I'll second Memphis' BBQ.
    Another vote for the Mid-South Region spread at Memphis

Milwaukee Region
    Member 289368
    #09 HP VW Golf

Originally posted by Joe Harlan@Jan 24 2006, 08:53 PM
    Doesn't matter where I have been Applebees is always a favorite stop. Portlands trak food sucks. We normally have good food in the motorhome and Deb does a great job keeping everyone full of food.
    [snapback]71996[/snapback]

Damn Joe, that track food must really suck if it'll make you eat Applebees! I'd sooner go to McDonalds!

Jake's right, the track food at Pocono is only slightly better than used speedy-dry. Notice I said 'slightly'! :119:

Since I'm such a cheap bastard, I usually bring my own food, and eat at the track. Since we most times have 3-4 cars paddocking together, as well as friends/crew, we set up a little 'village'. One of two of the tents are dedicated to covering the eating area. The Dietz & Watson natural casing griddle franks that I bring are always a big hit. Make the best chili dogs!!!

I will admit though, it's nice to go out for a 'sit-down' meal. One of my favorite places to eat is in Watkins Glen. It's called the Wildflower, and it's right in the heard of downtown. Nice place, good food, not too expensive. Another cool place is the Seneca Lodge. There's supposed to be a good BBQ place in Burdett, called Smoke'n Bones, but I've never been there. If you go in for the winery thing, the Glenora winery is hard to beat, and their chardonay is pretty damn good!

Since I consider myself a pretty damn good cajun cook, I've got to make it to the ARRC and try this legendary gumbo!

The ladies that run Chez Summit are super nice and will make just about anything that you ask them to. Several of them have worked there continously since the track opened in 1969. They enjoy the social aspect of the SCCA as much as the region members.

I have eaten there almost everyday (in season) for four years now and it has not maimed or killed me yet.

One of my favorite custom breakfasts that they do for me is a bowl of the Summit Point Hundred mile an hour chili with a fried egg on top. IT will make you GO faster.

The food at VIR hasn't been bad either though it is a little pricey.

cheers
    "dangerous" dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

In Danville the Mexicano Restaurante is LOS TRES MAGUEYES on Riverside Dr. Right next to the Hotel. If you speak spanish you can get things not on the menu. Good food and good service too. The locals eat there a lot.

Lawrence/in Danville

Parker, I cannot badmouth the food at Chez Summit, but lets face it, Mo's wings kick butt!!! But their coffee (and like all coffee west of Fredrick/Lessburg) is just tainted water. I need something that will actually wake me up.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires

I'll second Hallett. The breakfast there is awesome.

Cinammon rolls at Texas Motor Speedway.

Brats at Grattan (though their frito pie..I forget what they call it there...is not that good)

Wings 'n' More in College Station is good, that's where we'll have our Saturday night party for our March race. Also Rudy's BBQ is pretty good.

And there are plenty of good Mexican restaurants everywhere in the US...perhaps you're referring to Tex Mex?

Oh yeah, the brats at Road America are worth the trip!!

Originally posted by AntonioGG@Jan 25 2006, 12:28 PM
    I'll second Hallett. The breakfast there is awesome.

Cinammon rolls at Texas Motor Speedway.

Brats at Grattan (though their frito pie..I forget what they call it there...is not that good)

Wings 'n' More in College Station is good, that's where we'll have our Saturday night party for our March race. Also Rudy's BBQ is pretty good.

And there are plenty of good Mexican restaurants everywhere in the US...perhaps you're referring to Tex Mex?
    [snapback]72094[/snapback]
    TMS - Pecan pie in the suites (pro weekends!) unbelievable!!!!!

- Mex - look up the Mercado Juarez near Los Colinas

- steak - Trail Dust (if you can eat the 52 oz, it's free!)

Best track food in general has been at the infield rest. at NHIS.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com