Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITA 1st gen RX-7 weight for 2006 >

*** I'm a towering 5' 5" and come in at 140. I don't know what I'm more happy about. Us loosing weight, or those other guys gaining it!***

Ben, ya are just a little munch-kin, I knew yer small but dam 140 pounds. John, more beer over the off mounths for the little guy. Never worry about the competition who drive other make/models. He, He, Heeee :P

Jake, ya like the size of little Ben. Did you folks within the ITAC use the standard 180 pound driver or did ya pay some attention to the little folks ? Being that from what I read few drivers are at the 180 pound standard therefore little Ben comes out of the box at a minimum of 40 pounds ahead.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Rapid two mile walk a.m. & p.m. (two mile walk = 30 minutes) along with working out with a Nordic-Track dual motion deal that you use legs, arm, back muscles.
    [/b]
    Don't you know that muscle weighs more than fat? Stop all that excercising

As they say, "BUMP". Now that I've found that dieting is harder than I though, the 6 lbs I lost are not getting me close to the minimum weight.

What sort of success have people had getting 1st gens close to 2280 with driver?
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

What sort of success have people had getting 1st gens close to 2280 with driver?
    [/quote]

My 84 is about 2295 with a full 15 gallon cell and NO DRIVER. So I figure it is currently at 2200 without fuel. My cage is over-spec (1.50x.120) and I do have a fire system.

There are a few things I can still do legally such as gut the doors (I have power windows) lighter exhaust, lighter wheels and lighter front sway bar. And my battery is actually oversize by a few pounds. I'm guessing those changes could be worth 30-40 lbs. (and are about $50/lb of weight reduction). Of course I have some bondo, extra layers of paint and undercoating that could go. I'd be surprised if that netted any more than 15 lbs though. (The sound deadening stuff inside the car was lot thicker and assumedly heavier than the undercoating).

Given I'm about 180 with my gear on I should be able to get within 50 lbs of weight legally.

For now my money will be going to track time, not weight reduction. The driver is the #1 component I need to improve in order to go faster.
    Kevin Bailey
    ITA/IT7 WDCR

Kevin, gut your doors! I did my passenger door before driver's school and recorded all weights involved. After removing the window, powered regulator, aluminum cover, sound deadening and added the NASCAR bar back in I saved 17#! You're looking at almost double that.

The sound deadening in a 1st gen weights 20# and I should know since I just got done scraping that crap off and I saved and weighed it. Don't forget in the wiper cowl.

Where else you can save weight? Well... I dunno.

Tom Sprecher