Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITA 1st gen RX-7 weight for 2006 >

For those who care the ITA 1st gen RX-7 12A will continue to be classed in ITA & the weight has been reduced from 2380 to 2280 for 2006 & beyond.

Thanks ITAC members
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

What might be the route to get to a 2100# RX-7?
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

I have seen considerable disparity among 7s regarding the lowest possible weights.

heres what I think-

A completely stripped chassis.
    stock fuel tank
    light seat
    removal of all items that can be legally be removed
    efficient cage design
    non sunroof chassis
    light wheels
    non oversized components, chosen for lightness as well as function. ie: coolers and rads

I think that certain chassis #s can come close to the target weight with a 180 pound driver.

Anyone know of any of those drivers?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

***I think that certain chassis #s can come close to the target weight with a 180 pound driver.

Anyone know of any of those drivers?***

Sure do he posts here as benracin, more commonly know as Ben Harding from MN. 170 pounds after a race after he/suite is 100% soaked with fresh water & he drinks a liter of liquid. Not sweat on the suite because the guy is so cool he don't sweat.

Ben, are ya 170 pounds dry or wet ?

ps: Since the guy is a tv star maybe he don&#39;t post with we commons. <_<
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

See page 15 of the February Fastrack Addendum

All changes are effective 2/1/06 unless otherwise noted.

13. Mazda RX-7 (12A) (79-85), p. 28, change the specs to read as follows: Weight(lbs.): 2280.

Weighting 150 lbs never felt so good
    ReSpeed
    2006 ARRC IT-7 Champion
    2006 PRO-IT IT-7 Champion

Originally posted by crushed@Jan 23 2006, 09:14 AM
    See page 15 of the February Fastrack Addendum
    Weighting 150 lbs never felt so good
    [snapback]71703[/snapback]

Likewise, weighing 240 never felt so bad.

Anyone have a number on how much an aluminum radiator will save?
    Lightweight fluid hoses?
    there fofes adding more protection/ stiffness to my cage.
    cell is already in the car, but maybe I cna go to a smaller cell.
    what&#39;s lighter than a 10 lb panasport?
    Hoosier verse kumho- which is lighter? Is it worth it?
    Small bearing rear end housing / axels will save a couple pounds.

For refernce, my chassis sans driver, (with floor tar still in place) weighs 2153, with stock radiator, 2nd gen cooler, panasports and hoosiers...

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

I took my ITA Integra apart and took all the sound deadening out as well as everything I coud find to remove legally (radio speakers in doors wiring for aftermarket stuff...non factory) and came in under weight...i also lost about 20# and to my surprise I had to bolt lead in it. tar undercarriage coatings (they burn anyways) fenderliners do weigh something and are best left out of a racecar!
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

I&#39;m 185 down from 202 five months ago and I&#39;d like to get to 180.

It took three changes.

1. I eat a lot of salad, so much so my ears and my two top front teeth are growing longer and my nose twitches uncontrollably at times.

2. Quit eating after you belch to make more room. Put down the fork and step away from the plate.

3. Buy a car in Sept. and spend the fall and winter fine tuning the prep. Suffer from short term memory loss, have your shop in the basement and your garage on the first floor and climb those frigging steps about 50 times a day. Your ass muscles will hurt.

2280# - kick ass, but not mine, it still hurts!

Tom Sprecher

Short story on a Kart driver who showed up at the track weighing in 1991 at 209 pounds. I new this body weigh & 100 cc sit-up Kart where the total weight minimum was 340 pounds wouldn&#39;t work real well. The first wise comments I heard were who is the ol (OLD) man & where dose he think he&#39;s going. Much to their suprise half way through the season they figuired out that the 25 year old kid that was going fast was the son of the old man who was also going fast by mid season. Son finished 2nd & the guy they called OL man finished 3rd during our 1st year of Karting. Most times 15 to 20 100cc Sprint Karts. Second year the Ol Man had some real respect when they couldn&#39;t figure out how to out qualify the Old Man, which was now said with some respect.

Now that Fastrack is out & we&#39;ll continue in ITA at 2280 the weight reduction process has started.

The goal: To loose .41 pounds per each inch of my height.

Two meals per day. Oat meal, two slices of rye toast with two cups coffee for breakfast. Meat, salad, vegies, fruit with zero deserts. Water, water & more water for second meal throught the day & with the second meal. NO soda, beer, wine or liquor. Rapid two mile walk a.m. & p.m. (two mile walk = 30 minutes) along with working out with a Nordic-Track dual motion deal that you use legs, arm, back muscles.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

I found eating all day you lose more weight...not junk of course...small high protein meals (with a few carbs) and your body will start dropping bodyfat quicker. If you starve yourself your body will store fat and burn off muscle.
    Evan Darling
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005

has anyone played with a different front swaybar set up that would be lighter. I started with the 1 1/8" and then changed to the susko design modified stock bar which was 6 pounds lighter. has anyone tried anything else
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Dick, can you say hollow with alum arms ?
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Evan, I been eating two meals only for the last 5 years. The breakfast is my normal. What I&#39;m leaviong out is bread, buns, potatos, cheese, peanuts, desertS, a bit of beer & wind. & the continious trips to the cupboard in the evening. The walks a.m., p.m are normal from April through October with just a mid-day walk during the cold months. Starting today I added the second walk & the Nordic-track. Hey, they gave us 100 pounds & now I&#39;m going to ues it, emm, I mean loose it from me & the car.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Bravo Tom! Thanks for the laugh.

Serious questions-

Does anyone know how much the undercoating under the car weighs? The stuff inside was easy thanks to good old dry ice...but the underside looks like it would be a lot harder to remove.

How about 22 years of paint jobs? Like three extra coats? I can&#39;t imagine it will be worth stripping all the way down before I paint it, but figured I&#39;d ask.

Thanks

Kevin
    Kevin Bailey
    ITA/IT7 WDCR

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Jan 23 2006, 04:00 AM

For those who care the ITA 1st gen RX-7 12A will continue to be classed in ITA & the weight has been reduced from 2380 to 2280 for 2006 & beyond.

Thanks ITAC members
    [snapback]71639[/snapback]
    I *DO* care, and I&#39;m very happy about this - but where has this information been published???
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8

The February Fastrack addendum.

Not only that, but the CRX, the Teg, the Maita, and the 240SX have all GAINED weight. So the delta is over 200 pounds in certain cases.

Don&#39;t expect to win the ARRCs in ITA, but it&#39;s better than nothing.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Originally posted by ddewhurst@Jan 23 2006, 04:56 PM
    Evan, I been eating two meals only for the last 5 years. The breakfast is my normal. What I&#39;m leaviong out is bread, buns, potatos, cheese, peanuts, desertS, a bit of beer & wind. & the continious trips to the cupboard in the evening. The walks a.m., p.m are normal from April through October with just a mid-day walk during the cold months. Starting today I added the second walk & the Nordic-track. Hey, they gave us 100 pounds & now I&#39;m going to ues it, emm, I mean loose it from me & the car.
    [snapback]71791[/snapback]

David you have motivated to continue thinking about changing my diet, exercising and drinking less beer.

I must of lost a quarter pound thinking about it. Back to my beer

Yikes!!! I gained 115#!! the 94/95 miata is going to be the one to beat now!! 2380 1.8 140 crank BHP rear wheel drive disks all around 215# lighter...yikes
    Evan Darling
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005

Originally posted by zracre@Jan 25 2006, 12:15 AM
    Yikes!!! I gained 115#!! the 94/95 miata is going to be the one to beat now!! 2380 1.8 140 crank BHP rear wheel drive disks all around 215# lighter...yikes
    [snapback]72025[/snapback]
    Well, you gained 115 on paper....but in real life, guys like Serra and his pals all ran 50 plus pounds heavy. or more. SO it&#39;s not going to hurt the Tegs THAT much.

And the CRXs gained a bunch as well...but now I hear power numbers 20 higher than when we adjusted it.

Hmmmmmmmm
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

See, all you guys are too tall. Loose some inches that way and you&#39;ll be better off. I&#39;m a towering 5&#39; 5" and come in at 140. Sorry I can&#39;t back up your numbers David.

And speaking of TV star, my first Hometime episode will be on this weekend! Check with a TV search deal like yahoo&#39;s tv listings or tv guide cause air times will vary. The show is called Hometime and the episode is called Townhome remodel retrofit or something like that. I&#39;ve seen airtimes from saturday till monday so it could be anywhere!

I don&#39;t know what I&#39;m more happy about. Us loosing weight, or those other guys gaining it!
    Past owner of an ITA RX7