Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LRP pictures

Funny, just a few weeks ago many were posting on how there is no way LRP will ever do anything to make the uphill safer, yet here we are. The photos are really interesting and it is nice seeing some progress! But I think we need wait a little longer to see what the final plans look like.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Originally posted by RSTPerformance@Jan 22 2006, 10:04 PM
    wow, just what we need a street course with trees on the other side of the guardrails and fences rather than buildings...
    Also did you notice the turns with exception to the uphill have Less run off room... for example the downhill???

Not sure why they needed to ruin the "prestigeouse" look of the track by making it into a NHIS circle track or better yet a copy of the Watkins Glenn Nascar short track...

Soon we will have full course yellows for a local spin...

Disapointing... but we will wait to see the end results before we get really disapointed...

I agree with you. Though I haven't been to Lime Rock for a few years, I enjoyed the virtually unobstructed view of the track. As someone else mentioned, (I think it was Jeremy), where can the driver go if he/she crashes into those fences...scale them? Looks like the flags will be harder to see as well. Even NASCAR doesn't fly flags from behind fences, they have platforms OVER the fences so the drivers can see the flags if the lights don't work. I'll definately have to get down there this year to see what this all brings about. I hope for your sakes, it's not more full course yellows, those are a royal pain and a waste for good racing. :119:
    A Race Junky from the Get Go......

Originally posted by 16v@Jan 24 2006, 12:25 PM
    with all that square footage of armco going up, maybe it's part of a plan to sell lots of advertising (like on the boards in the NHL).

Big Bend, brought to you by McDonald's of Canaan etc etc
    [snapback]71901[/snapback]

The up hill could be sponsored by Billy Bob's Body Shop!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Originally posted by JLawton@Jan 25 2006, 11:48 AM
    The up hill could be sponsored by Billy Bob's Body Shop!!
    [snapback]72038[/snapback]
    If I had to guess based on the uphill work they are doing it looks as if the chicane will be a permanent addition and the only way around.
    Jamie Kekeisen
    86 ITS RX-7 NER
    92 325IS oops, blown up

Originally posted by MaxEnergy@Jan 25 2006, 08:42 AM
    If I had to guess based on the uphill work they are doing it looks as if the chicane will be a permanent addition and the only way around.
    [snapback]72047[/snapback]
    Well, on one hand it would certainly resolve any safety concerns in that area. On the other hand, however, it would compeltely destroy the rhythm and "feel" of the track, turning the track into basically two long drag strips. Cars that excel in momentum and handling would be at a significant disadvantage; cars that excel in torque and acceleration would rule...

I drove the current (prior?) chicane in my street car once as part of an Audi club HPDE. It's fun and challenging and a nice chance of pace, but in my mind it's not "Lime Rock Park". - GA

I hope it ain't so! No uphill takes away a big part of the fun factor. That is a great turn to t-up a pass and run hard into west bend. I think we'd see more contact as guys would stack up into that turn in the first few laps of a race.

Greg - was is a 2nd gear turn in your street car?

Hello gang, Mike Rand here, I am overseeing all this work at Lime Rock.
    I have one request.
    Wait until the work is done before going on the rev limiter.
    It isn't even half way there as of today, Jan 25.
    Of course the uphill is a huge work in progress, there are trees still to be removed, tons and tons more fill, eventually armco, catch fence, with substantial tire walls in front of the armco .And the grade away from the track will actually be slightly up to the barriers, not sloping down.
    A whole lot of people yakking about something they don't have any first hand knowledge of. It seems there are those who think we are idiots and have no idea what we are doing.
    As an open wheel driver I assure you, the changes will be a safer track for all.
    Whoever posted saying the runoff at the downhill is being reduced is just wrong. All the tire barriers have been moved so the armco and fence work can get tone. Access, that's all. Jeez....They will all be returned to their place.
    There will NO GRAVEL TRAPS, ANYWHERE, AT LIME ROCK.
    There will be appropriate holes cut in fences for flagging, photography, worker and driver access.
    Hell, the fence company just finished last Friday.
    Give us a break....
    I hope you folks will all settle down and let us finish the job.
    Yes, there will be a new false grid. Yes, it takes up some of B Paddock. Yes, it should actually relieve congestion at the bottom of the paddock poads.
    The whole place is a work in progress, lots af pavement in A paddock in the spring.
    And yes, many of these safety upgrades were in fact dictated by IMSA/ALMS and Grand Am.
    I promise I will not create any street course, as another poster suggested, the chicane will be the track renters option. I am re-engineering it as well, lower curbs, less steep ramps on the curbs, opened up as far as speed and car alignment, ie not aimed straight at the barriers, much more of a right-left-right flick rather than the way it was. There is absolutely NO intention to require any group to use the chicane. IMSA/ALMS is the only event where it is mandated, BY THE SANCTIONING BOdY !!!
    Deep breath, everyone, it'll be ok. Wait until spring, ok?
    Hey Clark, thanks for sticking a blow torch into the hornets nest.....
    Mike Rand

Mike,

Thanks for the update and setting the record straight. Glad to see there is a plan in place to improve some of the dangers that may have been lurking. Keep up the good work.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Yes, thanks for the update Mike!

I was (am) hoping the final outcome is a much improved LRP. I'll take a deep breath and wait till the finished product.

Jeremy
    "It's a fact..."

Originally posted by Michael Rand@Jan 25 2006, 04:11 PM
    I have one request.
    It isn't even half way there as of today, Jan 25.
    Of course the uphill is a huge work in progress, there are trees still to be removed, tons and tons more fill, eventually armco, catch fence, with substantial tire walls in front of the armco .And the grade away from the track will actually be slightly up to the barriers, not sloping down.
    A whole lot of people yakking about something they don't have any first hand knowledge of. It seems there are those who think we are idiots and have no idea what we are doing.
    As an open wheel driver I assure you, the changes will be a safer track for all.
    Whoever posted saying the runoff at the downhill is being reduced is just wrong. All the tire barriers have been moved so the armco and fence work can get tone. Access, that's all. Jeez....They will all be returned to their place.
    There will NO GRAVEL TRAPS, ANYWHERE, AT LIME ROCK.
    There will be appropriate holes cut in fences for flagging, photography, worker and driver access.
    Hell, the fence company just finished last Friday.
    Give us a break....
    I hope you folks will all settle down and let us finish the job.
    Yes, there will be a new false grid. Yes, it takes up some of B Paddock. Yes, it should actually relieve congestion at the bottom of the paddock poads.
    The whole place is a work in progress, lots af pavement in A paddock in the spring.
    And yes, many of these safety upgrades were in fact dictated by IMSA/ALMS and Grand Am.
    I promise I will not create any street course, as another poster suggested, the chicane will be the track renters option. I am re-engineering it as well, lower curbs, less steep ramps on the curbs, opened up as far as speed and car alignment, ie not aimed straight at the barriers, much more of a right-left-right flick rather than the way it was. There is absolutely NO intention to require any group to use the chicane. IMSA/ALMS is the only event where it is mandated, BY THE SANCTIONING BOdY !!!
    Deep breath, everyone, it'll be ok. Wait until spring, ok?
    Hey Clark, thanks for sticking a blow torch into the hornets nest.....
    Mike Rand
    [snapback]72086[/snapback]
    With all of the safety improvements going in, any chance Skip can keep the wallet open a bit longer and work on adding showers and create nicer bathrooms?

Hopefully these changes will take some of the bad taste out of many LRP fans mouths.
    Jeremy Billiel

Mike, thanks for taking the time to post. Relevant info is always appreciated...you guys have earned my personal admiration for taking the effort (and getting approvals) to make these type of improvements; I'm on record as saying it could never be done...Kudos!

I personally hope SCCA does opt to run with the chicane on occasion.

Originally posted by benspeed@Jan 25 2006, 10:18 AM
    Greg - was is a 2nd gear turn in your street car?
    [snapback]72077[/snapback]
    Ben, do you mean with the chicane? As I recall, yes; this was in a turbocharged 5-cylinder Audi 200tq20v with suspension and power tweaks, but street tires (Dunlop, as I recall). It was a third gear corner without the chicane. - GA

I forgot to mention, there are strengthening cables, actually 5/8" retired elevator cable, 3 rows of it to be attached to the back side [away from the track] of the fencing horizontally for added stregth. The cables are anchored and attached to the verticals with clamps. The fence on No-Name is because there is a stream, swamp, and beaver pond just over the berm. The cable will be installed as time allows in the spring, most likely impact areas first.

The fencing on the downhill drivers left is due to the trees and, once on the straight, the stream. The intent is to contain flying objects, be they wheels, suspension, or vehicles. Keeping cars out of woods and water hazards is considered a good plan. The only aspect needing attention will be fence repair in the event of significant fence damage.

The area to be false grid is actually one of the wetter areas in B paddock, it is under water right now. If you want dry go to the opposite corner. As long as gravity is in effect water will still flow from higher ground to lower ground.

And the runoff at the uphill is going to be paved. Asphalt will be a huge help in scrubbing speed, regaining control, changing direction and will solve erosion issues. Drainage will be adequate for all but the heaviest of downpours when we usually don't run anyway.

I repeat, runoff on drivers left in the downhill and onto the straight is not going to be lessened at all.

Mike Rand

Looking forward to seeing what the end results will be like!
    Dave Gran

Mike - thanks from all of us who race at LRP. We appreciate the info directly from those who are doing the work.

It's winter and everybody is cranky to go racing - with too much time on our hands we get to postulating.

Originally posted by GregAmy@Jan 25 2006, 04:47 PM

I personally hope SCCA does opt to run with the chicane on occasion.
    Ben, do you mean with the chicane? As I recall, yes; this was in a turbocharged 5-cylinder Audi 200tq20v with suspension and power tweaks, but street tires (Dunlop, as I recall). It was a third gear corner without the chicane. - GA
    [snapback]72101[/snapback]

Hi Greg - I'd be up to try it. NNJR is going to run a muffled event on July 3rd and we can consider doing it then. I'll present the idea at our BOD meeting.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Originally posted by Michael Rand@Jan 25 2006, 11:11 AM
    I have one request.
    [snapback]72086[/snapback]
    Mike, Thanks for coming onto our forum and explaining in person. It is most appreciated.

...and to all you guys on the "rev limiter" :angry: :P
    <div align="center">http://www.improvedtouring.com/images/IT_Sig.jpg
    Webmaster </div>

Mike, thanks for checking in!

I haven&#39;t kept up with your travels, but I remember you were the gm at LRP during some pretty good times, but left for other pusuits. Good to have you back. having you on the case is reassuring.

I read your post and think most changes are EXCELLENT...esp the uphill, where a double row of tires would have made a HUGE difference, but more PAVED runoff is even better!

I guess I misunderstood when I looked at the pictures, on the outside of the downhill, it looked like the posts that are driven in the ground for te new armco were 6 feet or so inside the old armco, but I guess I was mistaken.

I look forward to racing at a safer track.

Any thoughts on the showers?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Originally posted by lateapex911@Jan 25 2006, 09:13 PM

Any thoughts on the showers?
    [snapback]72192[/snapback]
    Forget the showers, I don&#39;t mind being stinky!! I&#39;d like to see some better drainage in "B", specially since we&#39;ll be losing some spaces......

Mike, forgive our rants, it&#39;s just we feell there has been some.........."communication" issues with LRP in the past.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Mike, since we have your ear. Any possibility of not having bathroom attendants waiting to be tipped at events? When one pays a decent amount of money to get in as a spectator (or entrant) for events, this is very annoying.
    Dave Gran

Originally posted by JLawton@Jan 26 2006, 07:52 AM
    Forget the showers, I don&#39;t mind being stinky!! I&#39;d like to see some better drainage in "B", specially since we&#39;ll be losing some spaces......

Mike, forgive our rants, it&#39;s just we feell there has been some.........."communication" issues with LRP in the past.
    [snapback]72231[/snapback]

Hah! wait till you race around me and you will change your mind about showers. I am one rank boy after sweating all day.

Actually, I never thought I would see an attendant at a race track. That just seems wrong to me, its not like your at a upscale nightclub....ok even if the non upscale places in Baltimore and DC have attendants now.
    --
    James Brostek
    MARRS #28 ITB Golf
    PMF Motorsports
    Racing and OEM parts from Bildon Motorsport, Hoosier Tires from Radial Tires